Steripens

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy had one a couple years ago on an elk hunt. He was constantly fiddling with it because it wouldn’t work. He ended up just using my Sawyer Squeeze. Not sure why anyone would want to take one if you have to run extra stuff like pre filters and extra batteries, just to make it work?

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy had one a couple years ago on an elk hunt. He was constantly fiddling with it because it wouldn’t work. He ended up just using my Sawyer Squeeze. Not sure why anyone would want to take one if you have to run extra stuff like pre filters and extra batteries, just to make it work?

i have found in all cases that i have personally encountered all “fiddly” issues are operator error. Most dont read or follow the instructions. Seen probably at least a dozen people on the trail swearing their steripen isn’t working and i get it to work on the first try by simply following the directions.

the older steripens were battery hogs. The newer ones are much easier on batteries.

prefiltering isnt a big deal, takes literally a couple extra seconds and all thats needed is a bandanna etc. Not much different than having to clean a pump style or backflush a filter, most filters require something to handle the debris that would be caught by a prefilter.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Mine saved us this past season. Gravity filter froze so steri was a literal life saver.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I experimented with one for a while and then went back to Aquamira drops. Those of you who have used both and prefer the Steripen can you please explain why? I preferred the drops because no batteries, as light or lighter, can be scaled up for bigger container, less fiddly. But so many people seem to like the Steripen I feel like I must be missing something.

3forks

WKR
I experimented with one for a while and then went back to Aquamira drops. Those of you who have used both and prefer the Steripen can you please explain why? I preferred the drops because no batteries, as light or lighter, can be scaled up for bigger container, less fiddly. But so many people seem to like the Steripen I feel like I must be missing something.
I don’t think there’s much of downside to using drops except the wait time:
“After combining Parts A and B and waiting 5 minutes for activation, the solution should be added directly to the water being treated and wait for 15 minutes to kill giardia, bacteria and viruses. An additional 3 hours and 45 minutes are required to kill cryptosporidium. After the initial 15 minutes of treatment, carbon block filtration would remove the cryptosporidium and improve the taste of the water.”

I use a Steripen, and have had no issues. I don’t want to jinx myself, but I would agree with others who have said that some of the people who have difficulty with a Steripen are probably not using it correctly.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I love the steripen. It is my favorite method for purifying water.

It is lighter and faster than a filter. It doesn’t get clogged or contaminated. It works on everything dangerous. It doesn’t have a wait time after treatment and it does not affect the taste.

I use the prefilter just to keep the salad out.

I have great luck with battery life in my steripen adventurer opti and it has been running strong for years.

HookUp

WKR
Running an Opti with no issues. I always have tablets on me for backup.

mcseal2

WKR
I run the rechargeable one. I run my I phone with OnX as my GPS so I've been getting everything else switched to rechargeable too, it helps me justify the weight of the battery pack I carry. I have no complaints about mine. I also keep some tablets and/or a Lifestraw in my emergency kit for back-up but I have not needed them with the Steripen.

boom

WKR
i have one. been using it on and off for about 4 years and no issues with my health. in all honesty, i use it more for traveling into 3rd world countries.

i was at this one camp. a jungle village in Peru. our water supply was a huge glass jug of water. they said, filtered, but it was kinda cloudy. we had total strangers coming up to use our two steripens. nobody got sick that i know of. the locals must have thought we were retarded waving that glow stick around in our nalgene bottles.

My issue with tablets and drops is they're killing bacteria. That's a good thing when it's killing bad bacteria in your water, not so much when it's also killing the good bacteria in your gut, they don't differentiate between the two. A bottle or two here and there shouldn't hurt much but I definitely wouldn't use them as my main water purification method, still keep them on hand for emergencies but I prefer the pen. Haven't tried aquamira specifically so take it with a grain of salt!

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I use them in the winter or when I don’t need to worry about the weight and battery failure.
I like it when I use it :)

bline

FNG
I switched to steri pen last year and haven't looked back. It doesn't matter if it freezes like it does with most filters which is nice for late season hunts. Where I camp/hunt the water is mostly very clear so filtering isn't typically an issue. My dad has used one for years for backpacking and international travel, but I was always skeptical until I tried it on a backpacking trip when my filter broke. Super simple and convenient. I've heard that the Classic is the most reliable model if you will be using it in cold water/weather

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using steripens for about 10 years now. Had the adventurer for quite a while and then got the ultra a year and a half ago or so. I love them.

I recommend using an aquarium / diesel filter sock as a prefilter. They are super cheap and super light after you clip and pull out the metal ring. Mine is about 4in diameter opening by about 6in long 1 micron filter size. Drains just slow enough to be a good scoop as well. Read about them on another backpacking forum and decided to give it a try for the $5 or so it costs. Absolutely love it.
This is the one I have:

Steripens are heavy, prone to failure, waste batteries, fiddly, slow in groups, and not confidence inspiring. I prefer Aqua Mira. For those that worry about killing gut bacteria or whatever, drinking water treated with Aqua Mira is no different than drinking city tap water.

Last edited:
Steripens are heavy, prone to failure, waste batteries, fiddly, slow in groups, and not confidence inspiring. I prefer Aqua Mira. For those that worry about killing gut bacteria or whatever, drinking water treated with Aqua Mira is no different than drinking city tap water.

I agree. I had my classic crap out on me on an elk hunt last year. Couple miles from camp and alone in bottom of canyon. Was not confidence inspiring....yes, i had new batteries and yes i read and followed the instructions. I practiced with it at home and in hotel in 3rd world country beforehand. I an convinced now that relying on batteries and circuit boards for something as crucial as water is poor woodsmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep with a pre-filter. It's pretty great! I'll invert a battery to make sure it doesn't accidentally get turned on. Battery lasts forever!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk