Steve Rinella meat freezing method

MThuntr

WKR
If you use high quality vacuum bags (the thick stuff) and the frozen packages are banged around they'll keep just fine. I vacuum sealed my antelope meat and stacked it by cut so I don't have to dig to find what I want

I switched to a heavier duty freezer paper and skipped the plastic wrap on half of my game meat this year. Time will tell if that was wise of course the goal is to use all or most before I shoot another but sometimes I miss a few packages that get buried

woods89

WKR
I've been using freezer paper and cling wrap for a few years now and it is my favorite for red meat, especially with how much our freezers get rummaged around in. It's very durable, in the same conditions that give vac seal bags pin holes. I'm not a fan of vac sealing.

Azone

WKR
Freezer paper and cling wrap is pretty hard to beat. Some of the old timers I know use the produce bags from the supermarket to put meat in as well. Double wrap in butcher paper and it will keep meat for a couple years easy.
I find myself going back and forth between the cellophane/freezer paper and my Vacmaster. Advantage goes to the sealer for no leaks, but the paper method is tried and true for long freezer life.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Vac sealers are great for fish, small game, and sous vide, but cling wrap and freezer paper can't be beat for venison.

If you use high quality vacuum bags (the thick stuff) and the frozen packages are banged around they'll keep just fine. I vacuum sealed my antelope meat and stacked it by cut so I don't have to dig to find what I want

I switched to a heavier duty freezer paper and skipped the plastic wrap on half of my game meat this year. Time will tell if that was wise of course the goal is to use all or most before I shoot another but sometimes I miss a few packages that get buried

Another thing I have done to alleviate the inevitable "lost in the freezer" mishap is that I will use a different color masking tape for each year (blue for 2019, white 2018, etc.) so that I can quickly see if something is new stock or old supplies in the freezer and burn through the oldest first.

I've done both but have had the best results with wrapping in plastic wrap and then into freezer paper. A lot less can go wrong with that method, it seems vacuum sealed bags have a tendency of getting a hole and then the contents get freezer burn.

92xj

WKR
absolutely nothing wrong with the plastic and paper method. But, the pros out weigh the cons for me with vacuum bags. First, they thaw out in 10 minutes in the sink. No need to plan hours in advance for ground meat meals. Second, they store amazing in the freezer. I am able to get 125ish pounds on one shelf in my freezer now. Will not go back to plastic and paper unless my sealer dies and it can't be replaced.
49688626428_d0f417093d_b.jpg

OP
Shakeandbake
absolutely nothing wrong with the plastic and paper method. But, the pros out weigh the cons for me with vacuum bags. First, they thaw out in 10 minutes in the sink. No need to plan hours in advance for ground meat meals. Second, they store amazing in the freezer. I am able to get 125ish pounds on one shelf in my freezer now. Will not go back to plastic and paper unless my sealer dies and it can't be replaced.

I like how you made the bags thin, opens a lot of real estate in the freezer 👍

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve only used butcher paper for many many years and never had a problem. I can see where other methods would work but why spend money and time if not really needed.

I've been using the plastic wrap and freezer paper method. However, because of the small size of the grocery store plastic wrap I often have to use two pieces which is slow and wasteful. Next year I'm going to track down some wider plastic wrap for the larger pieces and just use one piece on all pieces.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I use the plastic and freezer method. But this years o started to mark meat as grind on the package and grind it after it is thawed right before I cook it. Like minutes to a couple days. I really think it is better burger when ground after freezing in place of freezing ground burger.

Yes, I do that as well. It has the extra advantage that you can make stew out of it instead if you want. I've even made jerky out of my bags labeled grind (1-2 inch cube) with excellent results.

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Does the citric acid technique for controlling bacteria on a backcountry hunt give you any better temperature window as well, or does it literally only control bacteria? A little bit worried about a backcountry elk hunt in September on foot.

Brendan

WKR

Exactly how I do it, and for the same reasons. Being able to thaw in water is a big plus.

FLAK

WKR
So I saw a video a while back that showed Steve Rinella not using a vacuum sealer but instead wrapping meat in plastic wrap followed by freezer paper. I’m guessing this was before he picked up the sponsor from Weston. Anyway, so we are eating everything in our deep freezer right now, including last years back straps that I tried freezing this way. I also use a heavy duty vacuum sealer but I wanted to see how the plastic wrap method would hold up. The results were amazing, no freezer burn and very little trapped air. Meat color was still dark red and in just as good condition, if not better than the vacuum sealer. This is a great method for someone that can not afford a vacuum sealer or if your sealer is down for repairs. Thought I would share.

Been doing it like this for as long as I can remember. But may substitute zip loc freezer bags for the paper.

Trial153

WKR
I use both, depends on what i am wraping. For long term red meat storage youd be hard pressed to do better than double wraped with high quality plastic coated freezer paper. I stoped using yhe saran wrap because i didnt see it making a difference verse just paper.

I’ve tried a lot of different methods. The one that I like best and I haven’t lost any meat with is plastic wrap then freezer paper or freezer ziplocks. Both ways work great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS3579

WKR
I’ve plastic wrapped with freezer paper, and also vacuum sealed. I always vacuum seal fish The larger size plastic wrap can be found at Costco/Sams club.

WyoBC_99

FNG
My granddad and my dad taught me to use plastic wrap, maybe this was before you could get a vacuum sealer at home. I've been doing it this way for years with no regrets. It works great.