Steve Rinella meat freezing method

I’m thinking after reading through this thread I’ll switch over to plastic wrap and butcher paper...I spent a lot on vac seal bags last year and did an entire cow elk and half a deer with them. They work well, haven’t had any failures or issues so far, but it’s somewhat annoying to have to constantly be worried about them breaking the seal, and they’re definitely more annoying to stack in the freezer. I will keep doing fish in the vac sealer though, as I don’t keep them nearly as long and it seems it’d be tough to get all the air out for fish with plastic wrap.

muddydogs

WKR
I’m thinking after reading through this thread I’ll switch over to plastic wrap and butcher paper...I spent a lot on vac seal bags last year and did an entire cow elk and half a deer with them. They work well, haven’t had any failures or issues so far, but it’s somewhat annoying to have to constantly be worried about them breaking the seal, and they’re definitely more annoying to stack in the freezer. I will keep doing fish in the vac sealer though, as I don’t keep them nearly as long and it seems it’d be tough to get all the air out for fish with plastic wrap.

It's all about the time for me, if I figure I will eat the produce in a year or less then plastic and paper works just fine. If it's something that might hang around for a year or 5 then I vac seal. When I make a big batch of summer sausage or a dinner type sausage i'll vac seal the product as I know I will be eating on it for 3 plus years.

It’s interesting to me that guys prefer to vac seal fish. I like the concept but always struggle to get a good product after a couple months. May be a bad seal or holes in the bag. This is a cheaper vac sealer not a chamber.

Along the lines of the butcher paper / plastic wrap I’ve been experimenting with a new technique this year. Wrap the fish in plastic wrap. Freeze, then vacuum seal. Time will tell how it works out but seems to be a good option at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeSCH

WKR
I've used both and prefer plastic wrap / butcher paper for my steaks and roasts but vacuum seal ground meat and fish.

Just personal preference to put more into the higher quality cuts of meat. We usually eat up fish quickly so broken seals doesn't matter as much for us.

I have Used both. Switch from vac sealing to plastic wrap for a couple of years. last year I plastic wrapped a lot and vac seal going, tenderloins and back straps. Both held up well but I think the vac seal does more to eliminate air. It is less durable I. The freezer and more prone to holes. I guess I could butcher paper over the vac bag.