Stevens 301 Experiences with Youth

Scott-12

FNG
Looking for people that have experience outfitting their kids with this turkey shotgun with TSS. I've got a 7 year old that shot a 20 gauge 870 this year. He shot well but will be getting the Stevens 301 to be a little easier on him and it looks like a fun gun. I've always shot a bead and he loves shooting a bead. Most of our shots are going to be around 15 yards so I'm worried about the pattern being really tight that close. All I read about is the 30-40 yard shots.

1. Has anybody set their kids up to shoot with the bead?
2. Is the red dot worth it? I've never shot a red dot before so what did you set up for your kids? How did they like it? Would like to stay under/around $100-150ish.
3. How is kick with the 3" TSS?
4. Are smaller kids able to hand this gun pretty comfortably or need assistance holding the stock?
5. I'm thinking of trying the Apex Ninja loads first. Are there other shells you prefer out of this gun?

Experiences other than youth are welcome too.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have experience with the Stevens but my son killed his first bird at 7yrs old with an 870 20 gauge shooting 3" TSS.

Your pattern with TSS at 15 yards is going to be the size of a tennis ball, even with a regular full choke. No need to shoot TSS or 3" shells for shots that close, they'll actually hurt more than they'll help. The kick on a 20 gauge 3" TSS is pretty stout, especially for a 7 yr old but as long as you have him practice with light field loads then shoot the turkey load during the hunt he won't even notice.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
My son is 8 years old. He shot his first turkey this spring with an 870 20 guage. He was not able to aim well enough with the bead so I put a scope on it. He had shot a muzzleloader with a scope previously, and shot well. The scope worked and he was able to shoot the 870 accurately. I also put a limbsaver recoil pad and a cheek riser on the stock. We dry fired the gun several days per week after school for a couple months and shot the gun quite a bit sighting it in.

He killed a 25lb tom at 40 yards with Winchester Long Beard #5. The bird went down hard. I was hoping for a shot under 30 yards but the birds weren’t cooperating. I had the gun on a Bogs tripod as well. Would not have worked without the tripod.

I understand the popularity of TSS and I’m sure they’re very effective, but they’re certainly not necessary to kill turkeys.

FLATHEAD

WKR
My son killed his first with a Sweet 16, #6 Lead pheasant load.
25-30 yards, DRT.

dtrkyman

WKR
If you are truly shooting 15 yards max I would shoot a dove load with 7.5 lead, find a one oz load or even find an 1 1/8 oz pheasant load in 7.5. Factory full or even an improved mod. choke.

I prefer just a double bead, but I shoot a tight choke and my poa/poi was slightly off so I shoot a set of tru glo adjustable iron sights.

Fiocchi has a golden pheasant round, it is 1 1/4 oz and available in 7.5, should easily get you 30 yards.

OP
S

Scott-12

FNG
Thanks for the thread, I saved it. I'll see how the Stevens fits him and may trim it down.

We tried a bipod but I just assisted in holding the 870 forestock as that seemed to work just as well for him. We don't sit in a blind and his shots were at 12 and 15 yards this season. It's always been easy for me to get them inside 15 in early season. (My archery shots were both at 10 yards this season.)

With a modified choke and #6 lead pheasant loads on the 870 I still didn't want him shooting much past 20 yards. Changed to a full choke and that helped tighten the pattern quite a bit. He was a little sensitive to the kick, we mostly practiced with 8 shot. He's usually a pretty tough kid but did not like that kick. The small tss pattern does make me nervous though.

I guess a good plan would be to set-up the .410 and if I'm not satisfied with his close range shooting with the tight pattern, we'll go back to the 20 gauge. He should be a bit bigger in 1 year.

Thanks for all the replies. I figure trying to get this all set-up now give me a better chance of finding plenty of shells throughout the year.

I put a red dot on and cut the stock down for my 9 year old daughter on the 301. Shoots good patterns out to 40 with #9 tss. The 3” shells have a little bit of thump to them. I have a box of 2.5” 7s that I have her practice with and she’s fine with them.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know your kid but a lot of kids of 8ish years can find safely manipulating an external hammer difficult due to the size of their hands and the grip strength and coordination required. I know I couldn't.

OP
S

Scott-12

FNG
I put him inbetween my legs and let him use me as a back rest. I handled taking the safety off but make him put the safety back on. But that's a good thought as some hammers I've used would be difficult for kids.