Stevens .410 Turkey.. DEATH

TN_Guy

FNG
I bought a Stevens 301 Turkey .410 2 years ago for my "daughter" but it has ended up being my go to. I have killed 6 birds with it so far with the farthest one being 47 yards.. However, I just bought the 20 ga in the same gun. I hope to get it up and running to see if it performs as good as my .410. Here is a picture of the .410 and pattern at 30 yards. 301.jpg

Attachments

• 30yards.jpg
    30yards.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 91

jeffdixon

FNG
Nice. I just set up my 11 year old with a new Steven’s 301. What ammo do you like to feed it?

OP
T

TN_Guy

FNG
I am shooting Apex Turkey. I have test federal and the browning also. My gun loves the apex. I have two friends buy one after I let them kill a turkey with mine. Their guns were different but not by much. One is shooting the federal with about the same results and the other shooting the browning. That browning I felt was a tad but tighter then mine. I’ll see if I can find the pictures of my patterns with each when I tested

OP
T

TN_Guy

FNG
This is the federal I don’t have a picture of the browning ammo.

Attachments

• 10BDFC31-9AEE-44AE-9F4A-285C76A0BE5D.jpeg
    10BDFC31-9AEE-44AE-9F4A-285C76A0BE5D.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 78

rclouse79

WKR
Sweet! I bought one that has only been fired at the range. I discovered my 11 year old son didn’t seem to love shooting the 12 g and missed an easy shot with it last year. I put a Vortex Venom red dot sight on the top and it should be very fun and accurate to shoot. Hopefully my son gets a few birds with it before my daughter is old enough to use it. The price of those heavy metal shells are enough to keep me using the 12.

Holocene

WKR
OP and others who have used this gun, what is the trigger pull like? In pounds and overall feel?

My turkey gun is a 20 gauge Ithaca M37 turkey slayer that has been phenomenal the past 5 years. It's trigger is 3# on the nose.

I was at NWTF convention in Nashville this weekend and got to handle a lot of the newer, smaller frame guns -- some of them made in Turkey, etc.

Overall, their triggers aren't the best so I'm curious about the Stevens which is one I didn't handle.

End goal = build a .410 that my son and wife can use.

OP
T

TN_Guy

FNG
OP and others who have used this gun, what is the trigger pull like? In pounds and overall feel?

My turkey gun is a 20 gauge Ithaca M37 turkey slayer that has been phenomenal the past 5 years. It's trigger is 3# on the nose.

I was at NWTF convention in Nashville this weekend and got to handle a lot of the newer, smaller frame guns -- some of them made in Turkey, etc.

Overall, their triggers aren't the best so I'm curious about the Stevens which is one I didn't handle.

I’ll put a gauge on it if I can figure out where I placed it and let you know. It’s not a light trigger but my wife and daughter do not have a issue with it

Finn16

WKR

Great question on the trigger. Many hunters overlook the importance of a good trigger on a turkey gun especially with today's tight patterns.

Hicksy

FNG
I am using the same weapon with my 10 year old son this year. I will be using Federal TSS loads

OP
T

TN_Guy

FNG
Thanks for sharing that info. I've been looking at those pretty hard for a dedicated turkey gun. Seem like a great deal really. Is that a factory choke tube in there?
It is my go to now. I love that its light. It is awesome for those run and gun mornings. That is the factory choke that is in it. Only thing I have done to it was cerakote it and put a Burris Fast Fire on it

jeffdixon

FNG
What federal and browning loads specifically are you using? Any idea where to find some?

OP
T

TN_Guy

FNG
Both 9s.. browning is non existent right now but federals have been coming in stock several local stores here

DylanE

FNG
What’s the recoil like on that gun? I have a 40lb 7yr old I need a solution for when it comes to turkeys. He’s a little one, but he’s all in so I gotta figure out something.

OP
T

TN_Guy

FNG
To me there is a light/no recoil to it. My buddies little boy is 8 and has shot his. He also has shouldered it and helped him. My daughter isn’t old enough yet but I would probably get her use to shooting it with some assistance with a lighter load. Then do the ol switch a round trick while hunting as my father did.