Stevens 555

Anybody have any input on one of these ??? I just picked one up at my local Scheels in 16 gauge. Shouldered it several times and it fit like a glove. Have yet to shoot it but I figured for the price point it will be a nice pheasant gun and it won't be a huge deal to put a few scratches on it. Anyone else have one? Any issues with yours?

JWP58

WKR
Had one in 20ga. Should've kept it. Fit me perfectly, was exceptionally light, and low cost. A perfect knock around upland blaster.

Been looking real hard at the 555e. I had no idea they came out in 16.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend who has one in 12ga and has nothing but good things to say. Cool to hear they're making one in 16.

Last edited:

Wassid82

WKR
I have one in 20 gauge and think it’s super. It swings so well that my daughter uses it as well. We have hunted pheasants, chuckar, quail, and turkey. Plus we go shoot clays as well. I think it s a great chuckar and quail gun. I’d prefer to have it in the 16 for pheasants.

Love mine. Have it in 20 ga and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Nice to have a gun that fits well and don’t mind if it gets a few scratches!

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I have the older 512 Goldwing, dang thing points awesome, but I've had some issues with it double firing once in awhile. When my buddy shoots it, it always doubles, but it almost never does for me, I think it's kind of like limp wristing a pistol. But for a sometimes clays gun and uplands, I think the 555 is hard to beat for the $$

lonedave

WKR
Picked one up at Cabelas in .410 recently, but haven't had a chance to take it out yet. The fit and finish looks pretty good for the price. I need to polish the choke tubes a little, but they may clean up as I shoot it too. It should be a great little quail gun.

Anybody have any input on one of these ??? I just picked one up at my local Scheels in 16 gauge. Shouldered it several times and it fit like a glove. Have yet to shoot it but I figured for the price point it will be a nice pheasant gun and it won't be a huge deal to put a few scratches on it. Anyone else have one? Any issues with yours?
I have one and YA, troubles …. the darn thing keeps missing !

I've been wanting to get one as well but have been reading about issues with double fires. Not sure if it was just the "first gen" models and they corrected the issue. A buddy recently picked one up in 20GA and loves it.

WCB

WKR
I've been wanting to get one as well but have been reading about issues with double fires. Not sure if it was just the "first gen" models and they corrected the issue. A buddy recently picked one up in 20GA and loves it.
have (2) 20ga, a 28ga and .410....never had a double fire and the 1 20 has at least 700 rounds through it.

Catahoula

WKR
I have the 555e model in 20gauge. Thus far, I do like it. No issues yet. Fits real well. Used it for ducks and grouse last year. Considering the 12gauge model.....

I have a 555 enhanced in 20 ga. I like the gun, reliable, very light, good wood for the price. Minor fit\finish issues, but they don't bother me. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Shooter44

FNG
have (2) 20ga, a 28ga and .410....never had a double fire and the 1 20 has at least 700 rounds through it.
I have a 555 20ga. (less than 1 yr old) that suddenly has a lever problem. Very hard to push to open.
My gunsmith can't find an issue. Waiting for Savage to reply to my email.
Anyone have the same problem?
Thanks, John

m_willis

FNG
I have the 28 ga., which I picked up for my wife over the summer...so far zero issues with double-firing and smooth on open and close as could be hoped for. very pleased with it for the price point - even got the Savage $50 rebate on it, which is definitely worth searching for depending on when you purchase.