Steyr Scout rifles

Came across one at the local gun shop today. $1600 list for 6.5 creedmor. Interesting weapon. 6.5#. 19 inch barrel. Bipod. Extra magazine in the stock. I have handled them before but not in a while.

there are limited reviews on them but they seem to be well received. One possible con is a test review seems to suggest 2 MOA accuracy. Not terrible but not exactly on par with rifles in that price range that tend to be MOA or better.

a search turned up a few stray comments on them but curious if anyone else has any thoughts to share.

sndmn11

WKR
One of my friends took a class at Gunsite (I think) with Rich Wyatt (yeah that one) fifteenish years ago, and part of the package was they sent you home with a .308 Steyr Scout and a Leupold on top. He took it to South Africa for a summer and shot some things, then proceeded to shoot the barrel out or close to it. He then sold it because there was some sort of difficulty in getting the barrel replaced to where it made the most sense to sell and potentially buy a new one.

Austink47

WKR
When I worked at a FFL we sold several and got to shoot one at a range day. If I remember correctly it was a Cooper design. very light and compact, good trigger, and it came as a package with a Leupold scope (6x I think), sling, and scope. We shot a 308 out to 200, with no problem, but that seemed to be pushing its practical range. It is intended for still hunting, quick target acquisition, and close shooting. It was everything a scout rifle is supposed to be. It is not a sheep gun. I really wanted one, but did not have the money for what I consider a niche rifle. Never heard any negative feedback on the ones we sold.

hodgeman

WKR
I've had one in .308 since 1998. The biggest limiting factor in accuracy is the 2.5x scope with a wide duplex reticle that covers 2MOA.

When I mounted a conventional 10x42 SWFA to it, it was easily sub MOA with several factory loads and that rifle is from an era where "sub MOA" wasn't nearly as common as it is today.

I've hunted with mine off and one have decked a few critters. It's definitely the handiest rifle I own. If you're interested there's a bit of published information out there on the design.

OP
Desk Jockey
a buddy has one in some odd European caliber I can’t recall. It is a neat deer gun.

I read the story about its creation with Col Coopers input. the design is impressively modern for something that is +30 years old. polymer, full length rail, pop up sights.

smithjd

FNG
I read a lot of Cooper's writings and always wanted a STEYR Scout rifle; and a couple of years ago came upon one for a good deal. It was a quick shooting, close range (as defined today anyway) rifle for hitting realistic sized targets. But, they were also using them to shoot clay birds flying straight away... sometimes more than you'd think.

I got it in 308 since it is not meant for long range shooting, and as was said above, changing the barrels requires a trip back to the factory because the barrel is pressed into the aluminum receiver. So I thought 308 would last longer and do everything it needed to do anyway. By the time you shoot it out, considering the cost of the ammo it took to do it...

I've played around with the long eye relief scout scopes and am agnostic about them. I think a quality low power variable, conventionally mounted, provides for a much more rounded capability to the rifle. After a followup on my wounded bear into a Popple slash in the dark... having a dark tube without an illuminated reticle only allowed point and shoot. Now I have a NF 2.5x10-24 mounted. I feel I still have the quickness in close yet can ID and shoot out to 3-400. I don't speak for the Colonel, but if he had the optics available today, I wonder what he would do.

I've been only able to get about 1-1.5 MOA out of my rifle. But it isn't a precision rifle... Last I shot it I got a 5 round group of hand loaded 150 TTSX into about 3" at 200 yards. It does tend to shoot different loads into nearly the same POI and is repeatable.

The rifle has a lot of small details to it that I really like. You can tell they put a lot of thought into it. The bolt is smooth and I like the 3 position tang safety with a bolt lock setting. The trigger is excellent. The magazines are well thought out and I really like the spare in the stock and the cutoff detent. The rifle handles very well.

I don't think I'd ever use the bipod, but its there. I've read many just use it to ground their rifle. The Ching Sling is so yesterday. and I'll be a heretic and say I don't care for it, but it does help shooting. I'd rather have sling cups set up for an adjustable 2 position sling like a Viking Tactics.

It is a handy generalist rifle for hunting and one I'd grab without hesitation for 90% of my hunting needs.

A lot more detailed information can be found here:

sguida

FNG
I have 4 scout rifles, Socom16, 338 Ruger Frontier, 308 RGS, and Steyr 308., love them all. My Steyr shoots notably better groups when using the bipod, or with the stock rested over the same spot. MOA for sure. At first I thought the bipod was a gimmick, but I've got a ton of use out of it in the field, especially when setting the rifle down, so its not laying in the dirt. I use the Burris 2-7x on all 3 guns, and am confident to 400yards+. Two years ago my son and I used the Steyr for 1 shot kills on antelope (w/bipod) at 275 and 350 yds. YMMV.