Stick a fork in me - I’m done

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
Yup the Antis and Fur lovers look at Wolves and GBears like fuzzy wuzzy and could care less for balance of all wildlife like Ungulates.
The Antis have more votes period. We don't mean shat at voting time.
At least your government puts more into Habitat and wildlife, here in BC, 7% of our hunting license and fees for tags goes back. Sickening

I hear you! I killed 3 elk and I’m tired. Had 4 bulls bugling around camp this AM bugled at them from camp, but we weren’t going after them.

I averaged 20k non flat steps this past 10 days. Pass that fork!

Agreed. Hunted south of you this year. The number of hunter in ethanol powered chariots was disappointing. Ashame Colorado allows this to still take place. 25 years ago I didn’t have that problem. No doubt the money is in their mind instead of the stability of the wildlife. No wonder the elk are deep and silent. First day called in a rag horn silent to 20 feet but had no shot. 4 days later we got into them in an area with no two track roads. We were over 2.5 miles back. I realize that’s not very far but it proved my point about atv traffic to my buddies. It was a fun morning but no bulls wanted to play ball. I’ll be in a wilderness area next year.

I’ve been saying for years ML destroy the archery season. I guess they’re finally working your way.

This year the closure of OTC in the SW creeped into the area I hunt.

I have stopped giving tactics online, keep it high level, it’s just getting too crowded and what tactics we have left you have to supérate yourself from the masses.

I hunted another state This year, first time ever and never saw a bowhunter. What a dream. Elk that are much more relaxed, even when busted.

CO is a shitshow and we went 100% even though it wasn’t enjoyable.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
Feel your pain bro. Headed home after 3+ weeks in a CO draw unit. Saw roughly a dozen elk total, only one legal bull. Packed in for a total of 9 days 2-4 miles in, rest of the days we hunted on foot from camp. Hunting pressure was not bad in this draw unit. Very little bugling and very few bulls in the unit as far as we could tell. Really want to hunt somewhere other than CO, but hard to draw NM or AZ. Maybe ID or WY next year. .

Stalker69

WKR
Just returned home from spending 22 days of hunting the Colorado OTC archery elk season.

I never drew my bow.
This is the 4th time in 20 years that I didn’t punch my elk tag. So I’m still above average ;)

A week of that time, I had 3 NonRes buddies and my son in camp.
We had a good time chasing a just few bugles. It was a different year as far elk numbers tho. I called in a few elk but there seemed to be a tree in the way or too thick for a shot.
One morning, 4 of us had a bugling bull surrounded within 50yds. So thick he still slipped through without a shot.

We feasted well - fresh walleye, pulled pork, lasagna and a few cocktails.

Some things I learned this season where I hunted:

1- the wolves are a real issue in Northern Colorado. They kept the elk quiet and very dispersed. I talked to a nearby rancher on my out of the woods this morning and he said the wolves were seen chasing his cattle the other night.

2- ML hunters also have a real impact during their week. I drove over to the Owl Mtn area one day and was absolutely floored with the amount of hunters in that area. Definitely an area to stay away from!

3- Colorado OTC Archery Elk pressure is also a very real thing. Hunters damn near everywhere.

Next year is far away but after this year, I’m definitely going to reconsider some things.

I did bring home a moose shed tho!

View attachment 456163
Hey that shed kinda looks like mine, before I stained it and painted it. And mine had several of the tines chewed on ( off) by rodents, that I had to fix. Edit, not sure how I came upon this post. Just noticed it was from Sept. my bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: