Sticks and stones....

FLAK

WKR
Just curious, how many practice shots you take with those?
and what do you shoot them in to? I'd be afraid to destroying
them right off the bat.

Beendare

WKR
them right off the bat.
Yeah, I'm curious too.

I spend a lot of time practicing with BH's in foam animals....checking arrow flight etc.

I'm wondering how a guy does that with that equipment?

Or maybe he doesn't...and counts on very close shots?

OP
razorsharptokill
them right off the bat.
I have some soft foam that I use and I put painters tape around the edges. I limit my shots to 12 yards or less at game.

Cbrick

FNG
I know it’s not really primitive, but you can buy bamboo from Lowe’s that spines out nice between 40-60lbs. Look for the Garden stakes in the outside section, nodes are farther apart than the river cane I come across and they take a self nock really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Gosh, I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier! I did this last season. I had one arrow (ash) with a good stone head and I didn't want to damage it with a practice shot. But to practice and know how it would fly, I made another arrow that was, in all respects, as close as possible to the hunting arrow - but with a field point that I ground down to weigh the same as the stone point. I shot that single arrow a bunch and took one shot with the stone tipped arrow - lost that head but got the deer. I plan to do the same next season! Good luck!

OP
razorsharptokill
How did it go?
Well I haven't had a shot yet. Unfortunately that selfbow developed a crack along the edge of the lower limb so I retired it and switched to another selfbow that these arrows won't shoot out of. I have until the 15th of Jan to get it done. I will be using cane arrows with steel broadheads the rest of the season.