Sticky Sleeping Bags

Not sure if anyone else has this problem or if it’s just me. Have had several sleeping bags and no matter how cold it is I still get sticky/sweaty inside any bag that is made out of a nylon/slick material. Only solution I have found is a blanket lined bag but man those things are heavy and just not backcountry friendly. Wound up going bagless and just sleeping in my puffy gear. Anyone had this problem in the past? If so how did you alleviate the issue? TIA

OP
B
I have an older Slumberjack down bag that you will get wet and cold in no matter the temperature. With or without base layers, you get soaked. Lows in the 60s or 30s you get soaked. I had enough so I just stepped up and bought a WM Antelope (colder temps) and also a WM MegaLite (warmer temps). Zero issues since I went with WM.

If you keep the bag open at top (no zipping up all the way nor cinching the hood), that will help with the moisture issue. However, you'll freeze your butt off if it is cold enough.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I sleep with the mummy bag wide open and like a blanket on top if me and a flannel sheet or something underneath. All the way down to 25 or so degrees in unheated tent or on a cot out in the open, no tent.

CO-AJ

WKR
You could also look into a quilt. There are numerous ones on the market and they usually drop quite a bit of weight since part of the sleeping bag is missing. You will need a good pad as that becomes the bottom layer of the sleeping bag.

BrianN

FNG
I would definitely agree with the last comment about using a quilt. Disclaimer, I own a quilt company so I am bias. This isn't a sales pitch just a comment because I had the same exact problem. I am a very hot sleeper myself and if I can't vent properly when needed, I am soaked. When using a mummy bag, I always made the mistake of waiting to long to open up or get out, by that time I'm moist, as I dried out I would get cold and round and round it went. For me, a quilt was a game changer, not to mention the weight savings. Something with a zippered footbox that can be opened up completely or sealed up tight as needed might help you too. High quality breathable shell fabrics also need to be considered but that's another topic.

Last edited by a moderator: