Stiff, full leather, no rand, mountain boots?

amp713

WKR
Ok so first few things.... When not hunting I'm in cowboy boots and my feet arent problem feet, I dont get blisters hardly ever. Hell even buying used boots that weren't perfect sized for me, Im still hiking all over with them and no issues foot wise. I've ran the 4d gtx soft boot and I've been running these used lowas that feel quite a bit stiffer. I wish I knew a rating scale for stiffness so I could judge where to go from them, but I'm getting off track.....

So it seems like I CONSTANTLY have issues with the rubber randing on my boots and probably (mostly) due to my negligence. I've got the idea to go full leather and no rand but seems like there are not a lot of hunting boots let alone stiffer "mountaineer" style that fit that.... granted not sure I want ski boots but I need some stiffness for hiking or I'd just be wearing my cowboy boots to do it all.... anyway.....

My best friend does wildland firefighting and was running chippewa boots for that because they can't have the rubber part near fires. He loved them and used them a ton all while hiking with a pack on so I was debating something like that but don't know how they land on the stiffness scale...

So basically I'm asking for help from anyone out there who has went this route. By fall my current boots will probably be barely holding on and I'd rather not be tryin to figure out and break in new boots during the season....

I will state, I've melted boots by fires, I've felt like a boot has shrunk on a boot dryer (which I've been told is for sure a thing) and I've even heard leaving them in direct sunlight during hot weather for a period clear down to the truck heater on full blast can cause shrinkage. So I'm done playing the rand game. I also have heard of whites but dont have any experience with them either...

Looking forward to any info guys can add here!

Last edited:

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not even going to attempt to suggest a boot for you cause I dont have enough experience with different brands and material makes. But as far as I know your issue with shrinkage is not coming from the rubber rand, its the leather itself that's shrinking. Someone else may chime in and correct me but this is just info I've been told I thought I'd pass along that you may want to look into a bit more before wiping your hands of boots with a rand.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Meindl Perfekts, not the Cabela's perfekts, but the handstitched German ones. They're stiff, full leather and resoleable. They break-in similar to hockey skates, but now they're the most comfortable footwear I own.

Mike 338

WKR
I've hunted in Whites many times. They're a great work boot but a fairly poor hunting boot. Heavy in all the wrong places and get ready for cold wet feet. Check out Redwing for an all leather hunting boot. Can't attest to the quality of their goretex though.

Boot dryers should have no discernible heat. Just air movement. Not sure why the rubber rand is failing you but if your doing something to cause it, maybe stop doing that. IMO, a rubber rand is one of the best things about a quality hunting boot. I hunted decades with wet feet till they started putting those things on boots. Oh, not say'in your doing this but for guys who think their feet belong next to the fire to warm up in camp... just buy some beater boots cause that's what they'll be anyway if you dry your boots next to a high heat source, rubber rand or no.

Last edited:
OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I quit putting boots by fires after the first melted boot but this pair I have now I'm fairly certain its rand shrinkage, and it will be hard to explain here. when you look at it you can see where the top is splitting all the way around and splayed out a little but it's just holding to the boot like that, so it gives the look that the rand is shrinking from where the top was originally. It doesn't look like it stretched and split as it sits along the boot almost perfectly...

And I have found some boot companies that consider boot dryers as a void to your warranty so it can't just be in my head that it causes issues.

I may be going overboard on it and may hate it later but I feel like If you find a problem you should attempt to address it somehow..

Asolo TPS 520 is a fairly popular boot here. Asolo Tribe is a nubuck book. Both on sale on STP.
I haven't worn them but I own the Asolo Flame and love them (non-leather). Stiff for a lighter boot and build is top notch. I suspect I'll get several years out of my Flames.

Mike 338

WKR
I quit putting boots by fires after the first melted boot but this pair I have now I'm fairly certain its rand shrinkage, and it will be hard to explain here. when you look at it you can see where the top is splitting all the way around and splayed out a little but it's just holding to the boot like that, so it gives the look that the rand is shrinking from where the top was originally. It doesn't look like it stretched and split as it sits along the boot almost perfectly...

And I have found some boot companies that consider boot dryers as a void to your warranty so it can't just be in my head that it causes issues.

I may be going overboard on it and may hate it later but I feel like If you find a problem you should attempt to address it somehow..

Some boots are north of $400. For an expensive pair, I'd contact the manufacturer. If these boots were second hand, you may have purchased somebody else's problems that they caused.

Boot dryers that use heat are no bueno. Don't put them on the heater vent. Just buy a dryer that uses air movement. It should take about 10 hours to dry a boot. I've filled my waders countless times and they're always dry the next day, and that's in a cold garage. Not say'in rubber rands don't fail but they shouldn't and it's reasonably uncommon due to manufacturing or poor materials.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I echo the Zamberlin idea if you really don't want a rubber rand. I think you will have problems with any boot if you leave them in the sun, next to the fire or on a heated boot drier. You will also have problems with rands if you use the wrong leather treatment. My understanding is the heat and wrong leather treatment affect the glue which gets that top edge pulling away. Even with no rand your leather will not be happy if you use heat or sun to dry them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my whites outdoorsman boots. I wear them for work, and also hunting. The build quality, and ability to resole/rebuild justifies the cost in my opinion.

They didn't do well in snow compared to my goretex arcteryx bora 2s, but in drier conditions, they are my go to.

curt514

FNG
Kenetrek has a boot that is designed for wild land fire fighters and without the rubber rand.

Two birds one stone. BAM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
All depends on what boot brand fits your foot the best. I'll never recommend a certain brand for someone I don't know, because everyone has a different foot shape and foot issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using Filson’s boots for about 7 years and they still holding up well. But the leather boot is heavy.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Scarpa Fuego. I use the Scarpa Wrangell quite a bit (very similar but has the rubber rand and goretex liner). Theyre plenty stiff for anything ive needed them for and are doing very well for being on their 3rd season.

bspin15

FNG
I have worn my Hoffman caulk boots for logging work and then just taken the caulks out for hunting for the last 4 years and been happy with them. They are 100% leather and will last a long time if you oil them up every now and then.

WyoElk

WKR
Kennetrek just released a wildland boot this year without a Rand. I got a pair and they look great. Limited mileage so far but since they are kennetrek I’m confident they will hold up. I plan to wear mine through hunting season to augment my Lowas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk