Stiff or flexible boots: what do you prefer?

I hate stiff boots! I find I roll my ankle more using stiff boots. I ran the Altra Lone Peak 3 Mid Neo till mid October and the Crispi Nevada GTX in the late season, which is a little stiff for my liking. I really like zero drop shoe/boots.
I heard Altra will be coming out with a hiking boot this summer. I think it's supposed to be a more durable Lone Peak. Planning to grab a pair when they come out around mid summer.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hate stiff boots! I find I roll my ankle more using stiff boots. I ran the Altra Lone Peak 3 Mid Neo till mid October and the Crispi Nevada GTX in the late season, which is a little stiff for my liking. I really like zero drop shoe/boots.
You would say that! You must have grown up walking barefoot in north Idaho.

I wear a mid stiff boot early season, and a full shank Tibet GTX late season for slogging through snow and side hiking in frozen country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Barefoot here in Hawaii lots. Flat feet or naturally strengthened feet a stuffed sole is nice when walking on rocks but do love the flexibility a softer sole provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overwire

FNG
Flexible for me. Solamon Forces Quest 4D is my go to and I don't care for anything stiffer. Trail runners if the terrain isn't rocky (trail runners don't have quite enough cushion for me if it is very rocky). I feel more stable, nimble and safe in pretty much any terrain with a lighter boot with a flexible sole no matter what weight I am carrying. Also, every time I have tried a stiffer sole boot my big toes go numb and they can stay numb for a couple months after a day or two in a stiff sole boot.

kipper09

WKR
It’s funny I kind of prefer boots that are pretty stiff. I wear Hoffman Explorer and kenetreks and have no issues with them. I have also added a pair of lowa cevedales and I really like them but find the arches of my feet cramp If I walk in them for really extended periods of time in steeper terrain. Anybody else ever have anything similar to that? I love the boot and it fits like a glove but it causes me some concern

Titan_Bow

WKR
About 5 or 6 years ago, I started getting plantar fasciitis really bad. I ended up switching to zero drop and barefoot style shoes and the pain had been gone ever since. I’ve hunted in Merrell Trail Gloves, Belleville Mini-mils, Rocky SV2’s, and hikers from Xero Shoes. I might try the Altra Lone Peaks this year but may go back to the mini-mils. They are like pajamas in my feet. Everyone is different and there is so many factors that go into footwear choice. Just keep in mind, there’s Sherpas in the Himalayas that are carrying hundred plus pounds on their backs and wearing flip flops, so to say that stiff heavy mountaineering boots are the only way to do it, is obviously not correct

Gumbo

WKR
I really need stiff-soled boots for support in the mountains because of plantar issues and run Kenetreks. In fact, I've worn stiff-soled boots exclusively (everyday) for the last couple years. But they definitely are not the least bit stealthy, which is a bummer. But if I didn't have that support when packing out or in rugged terrain I'd be hurting for sure. I recently bought some Lowa Renegades to wear everyday that are a little less stiff to try to wean myself off of the stiff soles. Seems to be working. I often take my boots off when trying to seal the deal spot and stalk and have even considered some stalking booties or a very light running shoe for when I need it. I'd love to go back to archery hunting antelope and muleys in lightweight shoes if I can at some point.

Gumbo

WKR
It’s funny I kind of prefer boots that are pretty stiff. I wear Hoffman Explorer and kenetreks and have no issues with them. I have also added a pair of lowa cevedales and I really like them but find the arches of my feet cramp If I walk in them for really extended periods of time in steeper terrain. Anybody else ever have anything similar to that? I love the boot and it fits like a glove but it causes me some concern

This is me exactly. My feet need a little volume in the boot to splay out too or else I cramp up, which is absolute misery.

I started light and ended up heavy and stiff. I have used train running shoes, Lowa renegades, Lowa tibets and lowa tibets hi. I hands down prefer the lowa tibet hi's. The trail running shoes and lowa renegades were adequate for backpacking alone but if you are in areas with a lot of incredibly steep terrain and are going way off the trails with a lot of deadfall with ~50 lbs on your back, I would not go with anything less than the tibets. I tried trail running shoes and they just got torn up. I tried the renegades and they held up but I felt like I was going to bust an ankle. I settled on the Tibet Hi's and I will probably be here for a while. I do miss the feel and balance that I had with the lighter trail shoes and lowa renegades but after several days of hiking and burning a lot of energy, I find the support of the tibet hi's saving me from injury.

I wouldn't recommend the tibets though for lower elevation gains and open fields with longer distances needed to cross. They are overkill for that style of hunting.

Moabs all day for me except for a few specific circumstances. Mine have always held up relatively well although I think the quality has dropped off in the last year or two.

If I'm wearing crampons or even microspikes I'd rather have heavy boots like the Camino.

Poser

WKR
I do wears full leathers quite a bit while backpacking/scouting all summer, but I’ll wear trail shoes when it’s really hot and the terrain isn’t too rough or on training hikes. I don’t like stiff boots. I get my fill on them out snowboarding/splitboarding all winter. While stiff is great for super steep, you hit a cruiser trail and they are terrible. I go for more of a mid flex/on the softer side

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
I was convinced that my Kenetreks (7.5) were too difficult for me even after a few seasons of hunting and tearing up my heels. Threw a set of Superfeet greens in there and low and behold I just needed more arch support. I believe on GoHunt they are a 4/5 on their stiffness scale but now that I've got them dialed in I'm very happy.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried thousands of dollars of boots and shoes as a hunter and ultra runner. I've landed in the lighter category of footwear when I hunt. La Sportiva Ultra Raptor Mid GTX has been the boot that gained my confidence after much trial and error. The sole has enough torsional stiffness to bite while sidehilling and off trail. The grip of the sole is excellent. My style hunting is 35-40lb day pack (includes rifle, spotter, binos, and ammo mean I'm starting with a big weight penalty), 6-10 miles per day, 3-4 days per week, 3000+feet of elevation. When it comes time to haul something off the mountain 80-100+lbs isn't uncommon and the boots will handle it. Many trailrunning shoes don't have the bite needed for sidehilling and hauling a heavy load.