Stiff safety

Sled

WKR
I've had a few stiff safeties over the years and they seem to break in after a little use. I'm skeptical of the Kimber safety I have now. Out of the box it was really stiff and hasn't seemed to loosen up after use. I generally don't use a safety while hunting since I rarely have around in the chamber until it is needed. This gun is for snap shots while still hunting and feel i may use it more like a shotgun, so the safety may be more important here. Is there a way to fill the detent on the safety to allow smoother operation or should I just sit down and cycle it a few thousand times?

Wapiti1

WKR
Polish the detent with a cone bit on a Dremel

And take a look at the bolt lock plunger that rides the detent. Polish it as well, and maybe round it off a bit. Sometimes they are a bit pointy and don't release well.

Jeremy

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
any tips on removal. i've broke the bolt down to the firing pin assembly but not sure if the pin on the bottom of the safety is ready to be forced. do i need to remove the firing pin spring first or can the safety be removed separately?

Wapiti1

WKR
The cocking piece, firing pin and spring need to be removed so all you have left is the shroud with safety. Then you drift the pin from the outside in until it falls free. Careful, that little sucker is hard to find on the floor. Then you rotate the safety to an in between the detents position and pull the safety lever up and out. Be mindful that the lock plunger is under spring tension and may take flight.

Jeremy