Stiffen a cheap tupperware stock

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
My current project to-do list includes a full length bedding job. I will try either Marine Tex gray or Devcon 10110.

Before I go there, I have a couple of things I would like to try:

1. Adjustable aluminum pillars. Any suggestions?
2. Potentially dremel the fore end of the stock and insert some old Beman ICS Hunter 400 broken shafts to stiffen the fore end.

Anyone have examples of either or both?

What am I up to?

I have a sacrificial old Remington 700 tupperware plastic stock ... The rifle that this stock came with is sitting in a McMillan stock now so no harm, no foul if this project fails.

Continuing with my paint job on-going (waiting for the Montana Black webbing paint) and I have filled the hollow part of stock with foam now.

I used the 3#/cubic ft variety of Smooth-On's product for the fill on the current project. I wish I'd used a heavier density rather than minimized weight for a couple of reasons (hard to get the precise volume but I had some HD foam that I used to top it off as well as the denser foam would have done better at eliminated the hollow sound when you knock on the stock).

I have another 700 LSS 7mm RM that I bought with an SPS BDL stock that the guy was going to use for a project. The lessons learned here will likely eventually go into giving my a second option for that rifle - it is a great shooter that does not get the work it deserves as I baby that laminate stock.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Rimrocks

FNG
I don’t have pics. But I re-did an SPS stocked .270 several years ago. Used carbon arrows in forearm and don’t remember what brand of auto body repair filler? Bedded to back of lug. Painted with spider webbing. That sure made that wimpy stock solid. Looks good shoots better. 140 Gr. Accubonds at 3100 FPS and right around an inch.

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.

I was considering such an approach. Feel free to comment on my assumptions.
1. Dremel out a channel for the carbon shafts, probably such that the sit slightly lower than the top of the barrel channel. Probably a bit back from the end where it is "plenty thick enough" to accomodate the channel without compromising the stock and go back to just in front of the end of the rifle action?
2. Rough up the arrow shafts with sandpaper and epoxy them in.
3. Optional, devcon/marinetex/favorite fiberglass epoxy for additional stiffness. If so, cut some small channels away from the shafts to give the epoxy some foundation trenches?

The other option I've read is to just do #3.

You can dremel out all the plastic ridges in the forend and epoxy the Carbon shafts in. Then fill over them a little with Bondo. Be sure to degrease the stock very well to help the epoxy stick. They do help but most plastic stocks will still flex side to side especially on a bipod.
LRI makes some very nice pillars but not sure id use such nice ones in a plastic stock.

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Cahunter805, thanks for the advice. I'm bored and experimenting here. Per the OP, I have a sacrificial old Remington 700 tupperware plastic stock ... The rifle that this stock came with is sitting in a McMillan stock now so no harm, no foul if this project fails. That old McM is in need of a new paint job. And I just got a Kimber Montana in 280AI and was thinking about having that stock painted to add some webbing and realized I had this old stock laying around. It is sort of growing from there.

So I started by deciding to paint my stock. And then foam-filling the hollow butt end.

I also have an LSS 700 7-mag that spends too much time in the safe. That one came with an extra SPS stock and that led to me thinking about trying to stiffen it so my 7-mag gets more field time.

Anyway, I'm clearly bored after working from home for the last 6 months :)

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a pic of what I'm working with.

Attachments

• 20200812_134139.jpg
    20200812_134139.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200815_012944.jpg
    20200815_012944.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 61
OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, installed a broken carbon arrow in the two slots and the JB Weld Kwikweld w/ steel is setting now.

Do not expect to be impressed with the smoothness and quality of the epoxy job but it should be stiffer.

The tan paint went on earlier with a sponge (I went heavy on the sponge as the central and west Texas areas we hunt are more sand colors than anything else). The black webbing paint came in today, too, so will add that and then clear coat it.20200818_111504.jpg

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, the Kwikweld is fast and did not get any pics of that process but I did get that completed and the black webbing paint and clear coat on this weekend.

Here is the finished product hugging the 270 win. Its McMillan replacement started getting sanded tonight.
20200823_130815.jpg

RDobrow

FNG
Thanks.

I was considering such an approach. Feel free to comment on my assumptions.
1. Dremel out a channel for the carbon shafts, probably such that the sit slightly lower than the top of the barrel channel. Probably a bit back from the end where it is "plenty thick enough" to accomodate the channel without compromising the stock and go back to just in front of the end of the rifle action?
2. Rough up the arrow shafts with sandpaper and epoxy them in.
3. Optional, devcon/marinetex/favorite fiberglass epoxy for additional stiffness. If so, cut some small channels away from the shafts to give the epoxy some foundation trenches?

The other option I've read is to just do #3.
ditto