Stiffer or softer boot? Help!

I am struggling to find a good boot. Being located Down Under, we don't have access to the majority of the boots you guys do which makes finding a boot very difficult. I currently have Lowa Tibets which have taken a lot of abuse over the years but I always get extremely sore soles after 6-7miles. I have gone to a podiatrist and had custom insoles made but they don't really seem to help, and the standard insoles suck. I think they also may be a bit wide for my feet which may contribute to the pain as well.

I am really questioning if I need to go stiffer boots or if I should be going softer? Boots I am looking at currently are the scarpa r-evolution from kuiu, The scarpa Manta Techs and potentially scarpa grand dru? Problem is I can't try any of them on, as no where here in Oz stocks them. What's everyone else's experience with these shoes or how did you solve your foot pain?

What's everyone's thoughts? FYI I have very high arches which is likely a contributing factor to the foot pain thing...

TIA!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

How much weight are you packing?

Do your feet hurt in tennis shoes if you go 6-7 miles?

What boots DO you have access to?

I have high arches as well, and found that boots that were slightly too large would leave my feet sore. I'd guess it's a sizing issue, rather than a stiffness issue.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of people have issues with PU midsoles that you are going to find on the lowa tibet. PU is more durable and absorbs shock better than an EVA but EVA is softer and may help you foot pain. I'm also curious about pack weight, how much you weigh, and if your body is normalized to hiking 6-7 miles w/ a pack. Not sure if it's available where you are but the sole brand insoles w/ cork beds or met pads can help a ton.

BadDogPSD

WKR
My hard to fit, sissy size 14 feet seem to do well with the Meindl Vakuum Hunter boots. They come with cork insoles that work ok, But I've been using Sole Active thick insoles with met pads.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider

I have high arches as well, and found that boots that were slightly too large would leave my feet sore. I'd guess it's a sizing issue, rather than a stiffness issue.
I think Trumpkin nailed it.

Especially with the question around tennis shoes. There are stiffer soles than the Tibets but they'd still fall into what I'd consider to be a stiff sole.

If they're tearing you up, it could be a fit issue or even a lacing issue. Guys in my hunting group with high arches tend to leave the lower portion of their laces a little looser. When they cinch it down hard, they have problems.

But the consistent thing I've heard from them is that softer soles were harder on their fit than stiffer soles.

Of course, you mileage may vary.

OP
Aussie-bowman

Day hunting is 15-20lbs. Multi-day trips 45+lbs. I'm 5'10 175lb.

No they don't hurt in tennis shoes but I'm also not in the kind of terrain.

Lowa Tibets are about the stiffest boot you can get down here other than full insulated mountaineering boots. There is a big gap. I have access to Salomon Quests, Lowa cervidale, scarpa kinesis, hunters element. Salewa, Hanwag, la Sportiva, we don't have.

You guys saying about arches and lacing got me thinking. To get a solid feel in the boot I do crank the laces down pretty tight which would be putting more pressure on my soles... I tried on a pair of the old scarpa r-evolution pro and they seemed to fit really well hence thinking I can order the same size in the other scarpas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have several different Scarpa's and I love them all. I really like a boot with a stiff sole, and they generally last me much longer than 1 season like non-stiff soled boots.

GoodTryer

FNG
Classified Approved
Curious about the Manta Techs, did you end up sticking with them? And how did they perform and hold up?