Stihl Battery chain saw

three5x5s

WKR
Thinking of getting a Stihl 160 or 220 battery chain saw. Any one have experience or thoughts on them?? I have gas back ups

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have had one for several years and my friend has an Oregon battery style. Since I bought now Milwaukee, Makita, and DeWalt have them. One of my better purchases. Quiet, gas free. Works for 90% of needs especially treestand and light yard work. You won't make a lot of big 8 inch + cuts but not intended for that.

nrh6.7

WKR
I have the Milwaukee chainsaw to back up my MS 261, and for what it is I love it. Plenty of power for lighter duty work and very quiet and easy to start.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Our utility company pretty much got rid of all of our Stihl Gas powered and switch to the Milwaukee battery chainsaw. It is been an awesome piece of equipment so far. I highly recommend it, I have not tried the Stihl Battery yet.

Boog304

FNG
I have a new DeWalt and it is a beast!

I’ve been thinking about the dewalt as well mainly because I have several 20v Vmax batteries. I’m worried that the 20 volt chainsaw does not have much power compared to the 40 or 60 volt models.
Just curious which model dewalt you have?

Switching all my little/arborist stuff out for battery. I got one last year and its nice not drop starting something way up in a bucket. I dont know that battery will ever replace a 372 or 395xp but for little saws with little ports/jets/carbs and the garbage fuel in the US (Even the non oxy) I'll always go battery now when I can

Have a 220 and 161 w/ 300s batteries. Went against every part of me to buy a stihl but the overall feedback on battery stuff was better for stihl vs husky. All my adult saws that are gas are still husky though

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
If you buy a battery powered chain saw they first thing you should do is use it to cut up your man card!

If you buy a battery powered chain saw they first thing you should do is use it to cut up your man card!

I carry a small elec saw in my side by side when I hunt in the mtns around home. I have used it several times to get out at night when trees fell across trail sometime after I went in. It is small and fits in my cargo space under my seat. It is really handy for that . No way I could carry my Stihl gasser even at 16" in there. I have packed it in a couple miles to clear some stuff and build ground blinds too. Its light.
If my man card is ever in question I'll get out my Pro Stihl Custom saw, will cut anything down and barely drop an RPM.
Once I was in the woods and Sasquatch popped out and saw my saw, and ran.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the 160 and love it. Keep it in my truck during season, great for clearing trails, especially for Spring bear when no one has been down a lot of them. I keep all my hunting stuff in the back of my truck (topper shell) and occasionally sleep back there. It’s really nice when everything doesn’t smell like gas and it’s easy to grab and get to cutting. It will leak bar chain oil, so be wary of that.

3forks

WKR
Chainsaw should be loud, obnoxious, leak gas all over your stuff and annoying.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Ha! My grandad had a Husqvarna dealership when I was growing up. Getting firewood as a kid was a total pain in the ass, and I dreaded splitting and stacking all that we cut. Spilled gas, sharpening chains, sandwiches that had a hint of a taste of bar oil from your hands...

Now, the smell of gas, bar oil, and cut wood is something brings back great memories.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 60volt flexvolt Dewalt chainsaw and really like it starts everytime you pull the trigger. Battery life is really good. Use for light trimming around the yard and camping cutting fire wood. I went with the Dewalt since my other cordless tools are Dewalt the 60v battery can be used with the 20v tools.

tdot

WKR
I've used both the Dewalt and Stihl, but never on the same day. I've been impressed with both and cant say one is obviously better then the other. Though maybe if it was a more head to head comparison, it would be obvious? I've decided I'll buy either one if I can find it on sale.

I have an older Makita 10 inch battery chainsaw. It is not intended for large jobs. But one of the best purchases I've made. I do normally go through a few batteries. I have been intending on purchasing a larger one soon.

jeffpg

WKR
I’ve been thinking about the dewalt as well mainly because I have several 20v Vmax batteries. I’m worried that the 20 volt chainsaw does not have much power compared to the 40 or 60 volt models.
Just curious which model dewalt you have?
I have the largest model, the 60V with the 16" bar. I have 2 of the 6Ah batteries that I rotate. They hold up pretty well. I grew up in a logging family in the pine belt in the south, and from childhood I worked under my father who was the Mississippi Logger of the Year in 1999, so I have some chainsaw experience. I am very impressed with the DeWalt, and have quickly cut much larger trees than I expected it would handle. It's a joy to play with, but it's certainly not what the big Sthil saws are, but it has many advantages.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Makita saw that takes 2 batteries. I keep it behind the seat of the truck. It's save my butt a couple times cutting trees out of the road. It lasts suprisingly long.