Stika cloudburst or thunderhead jacket

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka cloudburst or thunderhead jacket

I need some new rain gear and I am looking at either the cloudburst or thunderhead jacket. I mainly need something packable, but also solid enough to stay dry. I'm am looking at sitka primarily because I can get a decent discount and I can try it on at a local store. I normally use kuiu and first lite, but I would like to try some Sitka stuff.

Last edited:

Jardo

WKR
I have the dewpoint and cloudburst rain gear. I have no experience with thunderhead so I can't help with feedback on that item. Of cloudburst and Dewpoint, I prefer the Dewpoint. Dewpoint is more packable and is surprisingly tough. I would look at dewpoint before buying if you can.

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cloudburst and love it. The Thunderhead is basically the same thing as the Downpour. It has a quiet shell with no pit zips. I think the Thunderhead would be fine for Treestand hunting...but I personally want pit zips if I'm going to be moving.

Stwrt9

WKR
I've been looking at purchasing one of the two for the same reasons. I have only been able to find the Thunderhead to try on. I was leaning towards the Cloudburst really wanted to try it on first. The Thunderhead is listed as Performance Fit on the website and I didn't really like the fit for my intended uses. The Medium fit me just ok if i wasn't going to wear anything under it such as a puffy, The arms length was good but the waist was tight and short also with a puffy it was way too small and the it hung below the jacket bottom. The Large fit ok in the body and was good with a puffy only problem was the arms were entirely too long on me. I'm interested in how the Cloudburst would fit compared to the Thunderhead in that the Cloudburst is listed as Standard Fit compared to the Performance Fit of the Thunderhead. I really want something that i can use early season as well as late season with a puffy without swimming in it.

I just went through the same exercise. I went with Cloudburst for the fit and the pit zips, and the hood roll up feature. Thunderhead has a hood that just flaps around and I do not like that.

The only reason I would want Thunderhead is if I was needing silence. Its very soft and quiet. For the style of hunting I generally do, quiet doesn't matter so much. If I was wanting to sneak through black timber, Cloudburst wouldn't be my first choice.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
Thunderhead appears to be same as the Downpour and while it's great for whitetail, I wouldn't want to hike up a mountain in it! Fairly heavy and not enough ventilation. Great for still hunting whitetail!

Stwrt9

WKR
Thunderhead appears to be same as the Downpour and while it's great for whitetail, I wouldn't want to hike up a mountain in it! Fairly heavy and not enough ventilation. Great for still hunting whitetail!

I thought the same thing they seem to be almost exactly alike with different names.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had issues with the original Downpour line, it used to be a 2 layer Gore-tex. Sitka upgraded me (free of charge, their CS is outstanding) to the Cloudburst line and I have been extremely happy with it. I've been using the gear hard for about 5 years now and the only time I get wet is beating through brush. I've yet to find anything that keeps me dry through that though. I did put a hole in the leg on my sheep hunt this year but that was no fault of the pants, should've had my Kahtoolas on.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you considered the Dewpoint line? Light weight, packable, and its proven itself up here in Alaska for my hunting buddies and I.

we had a customer use the cloudburst last year on a moose hunt and he loved it

if you need sitka help just let us know...we have some good specials going on now

carter33

WKR
I have the dewpoint and my father has the cloudburst. Both are great pieces of rain gear. If mountain hunting above the brush line I would go with the dewpoint, it packs down a little smaller. If you intend to be hunting in thick brush then I would recommend the cloudburst as it seems to be slightly more durable. That being said I have hunted in thick brush plenty with my dewpoint with no issues. Both jackets can roll up/stuff into the chest pocket though I beleive the dewpoint was designed for this based on the zipper while the cloudburst can still do it just not quite as easily.

Dewpoint is where it's at! Crazy light for what it is! Very tough jacket too! Had cloudburst and then went dewpoint! No looking back!

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a new First Lite Boundary Stormtight for $200. It is a medium but is sized like everyone else's large. Realtree

Stwrt9

WKR
I recently picked up the cloudburst to run for the season. Seems to be bomb proof and about mid range in the weight dept not too heavy but def not super light like the dew point. The hood is a bit bulky when stored in collar but shouldnt be a deal breaker. Time will tell but happy so far.

How's the Dewpoint in wintery weather? Replacing my FL Stormtight with one here shortly. I was thinking about getting the Stormfront for late season or when I know it's gunna be crap. But until then would I be fine with the Dewpoint?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How's the Dewpoint in wintery weather? Replacing my FL Stormtight with one here shortly. I was thinking about getting the Stormfront for late season or when I know it's gunna be crap. But until then would I be fine with the Dewpoint?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dewpoints shed water just fine and keep you dry without making ya sweat like heavier rain gear. You can literally zip em on and off in under 30 seconds.