Still Hunting Jacket

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
During rifle season in NE PA we tend to do a lot of still hunting mixed with 1-2 hour sits. The only days we really sit in a stand are the first couple days of season when everyone is out pushing deer around. I hate wearing bibs for these still hunts. I have not been able to find a pair that is not bulky and impeding. I went with the KUIU guide last year and they were amazing. Warm and moisture resistant. On top I wore my FL sawtooth and it got soaked. My fault. I know it’s not really made for that. So what I’m looking for is a nice outer layer soft shell that will keep me dry but is also ultra quiet. I have a good layering system so I’m more concerned with moisture protection and it has to be dead silent. Obviously my first choice would be to look at the guide jacket from KUIU but I think that might run a little too warm for me.

Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate your replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Soft shells generally aren't waterproof and you'll get wet eventually. If you really want 100% waterproof, something like the Sitka Downpour might work. Has a brushed face to cut down on noise, but that will hold / wick water so needs to be dried out at night. Designed for whitetail hunting where you need waterproof, and quiet.

If you like soft shells, I'm a fan of the Sitka Jetstream. Use it for most of my Northeast rifle hunting when I'm not sitting on stand, during day hunts out west, turkey season. Really pretty versatile and only gets left at home for me on really wet days, or backpack hunts. But, a soft shell is never quite as quiet as wool and softer fabrics, that's the tradeoff for DWR and moisture protection.

Guide jacket from Kuiu is pretty lightweight, don't think it has a windblocker layer like the Jetstream. It gives you some DWR, but in any sort of rain you'll get wet.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Soft shells generally aren't waterproof and you'll get wet eventually. If you really want 100% waterproof, something like the Sitka Downpour might work. Has a brushed face to cut down on noise, but that will hold / wick water so needs to be dried out at night. Designed for whitetail hunting where you need waterproof, and quiet.

If you like soft shells, I'm a fan of the Sitka Jetstream. Use it for most of my Northeast rifle hunting when I'm not sitting on stand, during day hunts out west, turkey season. Really pretty versatile and only gets left at home for me on really wet days, or backpack hunts. But, a soft shell is never quite as quiet as wool and softer fabrics, that's the tradeoff for DWR and moisture protection.

Guide jacket from Kuiu is pretty lightweight, don't think it has a windblocker layer like the Jetstream. It gives you some DWR, but in any sort of rain you'll get wet.

Thanks for the reply. I was just looking at the Sitka Jetstream. Seems like the best option I’ve seen by far. It’s real hard to find a perfect do it all outer layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I was just looking at the Sitka Jetstream. Seems like the best option I’ve seen by far. It’s real hard to find a perfect do it all outer layer.

I love mine. It is warmer than the Kuiu Guide jacket, has a Gore Tex Windstopper layer (no taped seams) which does pretty good at keeping you dry in a light or sporadic rain, but will leak eventually. Has a very small thin "micro fleece" insulation on the inner face. Not as quiet as wool or fleece, but better in a lot of ways. Also like the subalpine pattern - great for all northeastern turkey, early season deer. Only place I don't like it is you stick out sitting in a tree stand once the leaves are down, open country pattern would be better there.

But, to your point, there is no such thing as a perfect do it all outer layer. If I'm going backpack hunting for example, I'll bring a GoreTex hard shell for better wind and waterproofing, plus a dedicated puffy jacket for better insulation that combined weight the same as the Jetstream. But, a setup like that is always going to be louder and sometimes a single soft-shell is just right... If I'm sitting in a tree stand and it's dry - Sitka Fanatic all the way for me...

Arcteryx atom lt. My favorite jacket, synthetic insulation puffy and warm but can move in it as needed. Not waterproof but pretty water resistant (I use it all year on the Olympic peninsula of Washington) if that tells you how much rain it’ll take before getting wet inside.

Another vote for Jetstream.

I also have the Kuiu Guide. It it’s more like a deluxe sweatshirt compared to the Jetstream with its Gore. Keeps me dry in light rains for up to 2 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk