Still Hunting Jacket

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking again for jacket ideas. Hunting northwest PA in the ANF. We do a good mix of still and stand hunting. I have been looking at the FL Catalyst jacket but the reviews scare me. I am now stuck between the KUIU Axis hybrid, Guide All Season and Guide DCS. Also looking at the Sitka Stratus and Jetstream because of prior recommendations. Do any of you have experience with any of these jackets? For the times I am in a stand I use my Uncompahgre under my outer layer to keep me warm if the temps really drop. I just need something for those active still hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pn8hall

WKR
What scares you about the Catalyst? I dont have experience with any of the other jackets but I own the Catalyst and it is by far my favorite jacket. I use it for whitetail, ducks, and elk out west. Could not be happier myself.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
What scares you about the Catalyst? I dont have experience with any of the other jackets but I own the Catalyst and it is by far my favorite jacket. I use it for whitetail, ducks, and elk out west. Could not be happier myself.

Just the reviews about the pockets being glued on, wind cuts through it with ease. Also read a couple reviews that said you get soaked if there is minor precipitation. One of my buddies bought one, but it’s still a little warm for him to wear it.

H80Hunter

WKR
FWIW, I love my Catalyst Jacket. For still hunting it would be a great choice since you're more active. I hike in the winter with a solid version as well with a light breathable puffy under it. It's awesome.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I love my Catalyst Jacket. For still hunting it would be a great choice since you're more active. I hike in the winter with a solid version as well with a light breathable puffy under it. It's awesome.

How is it during light precipitation? The most recent reviews on FL say it’s a no go for snow and rain? I think this is my favorite jacket of the lot, but I’ve had so much success with KUIU outer layers as far as durability and weather resistance goes. All my bases are FL. I want to give them a shot on one of my outer layers

Pn8hall

WKR
Last year my 1st 2 days of scouting for 1st rifle it snowed pretty hard. The Catalyst held up perfect as my outer layer. I had no issues with being dry in the snow. I have not used it in a light rain so cant say how it would hold up but I personally would not hesitate to use it,

crich

WKR
Everyone has heir own opinions and clothing is very subjective. FWIW I sold my catalyst because the wind cuts through it so easily. If youre on the move great but being from NE Ohio originally and knowing the weather up where youre, at I wouldnt wear it in a treestand.

H80Hunter

WKR
I wore it yesterday tracking a wounded deer during what turned into a steady rain. At times, it was really raining pretty hard. On top I wore a light merino base, kelvin active jacket, and catalyst. I love that combo for hiking in the 30s/40s. The jacket fully wet out but when I got home
The kelvin active and merino were still pretty darn dry. I came away impressed. It’s not rain gear but it held up actually pretty well during 2 hours of pretty wet weather. Maybe if I stayed in it the wet jacket would have soaked through to my under layers, but the catalyst (and Kelvin active) dry very fast so I’m not positive. Further, if was sitting in a tree damp I have started to get cold.

The short answer is: for an hour or two in a pretty steady rain I think you’ll be ok, especially if active. In a backpack scenario or possibly tree stand, you probably want a rain shell.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys! Very appreciative of all the input.

i used the catalyst for a couple seasons. i had the same experience with wind, i actually used it snowboarding too and that really confirmed it. generally this can be mitigated with midlayers. the arms are so snug on it i had to use a puffy vest underneath vs. coat. Generally i was pretty comfortable during later season sits with a 250, 350, fleece + puffy vest underneath. I loved using it for still hunting because its a low profile jacket, its not baggy and getting caught on stuff. i hate walking around the woods feeling like the marshmellow man so this coat fit the bill for that. under a driving rain it soaked through to my layers pretty quickly. Light rain and snow will shed reasonably well. My main issues were torso length (i'm 6'6") and i just wasnt a fan of the hood. I would say its an ideal early season stationary or cold weather active jacket, but would not rely on it solely when it comes to precip.

Lowg08

WKR
I had the guide dcs i never wore it I put it on to see how it fit. I did not like the sound it makes rubbing against itself.

Last edited:

OMB

WKR
Depending how much precipitation you're looking at, I think the Kuiu Kutana or Axis would good choices. I've been using the Kutana for over a year now between whitetails in Iowa/WI, mule deer in Montana, and spring turkey and it's been great for active hunting in wet conditions. Kutana stands up really well in thicker brush and I like the ability to open up the pit zips to cool off. DWR treatment works pretty well, honestly think if I was still hunting in any weather that would wet it out, I'd rather just toss on a rain jacket over the Axis for what I'm doign.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
As a fellow PA deer hunter I know it can be bitter cold during rifle season. For this reason, I love my FL Sanctuary for sitting in the stand Toasty warm all day. It can be vented properly to keep me from sweating during still hunts and drives as well. For the type of stillhunting I do through thick cover, I’m often moving so slow that I might as well be sitting in a stand and can get quite cold.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Stratus Jacket would be our top pick. It is fully windproof, highly water resistant, and it has a brushed face which keeps it ultra-quiet. The Stratus has just enough insulation to keep you warm during still hunts, but not enough to make you overheat.

crl

FNG
carhart head to toe with a rattle can paint job. nothing busts through briars better.

I’m as guilty as anyone about getting too caught up in fancy gear. That being said, I love this approach. I wear nothing but carhartt all year for working construction and it is great stuff and more durable than pretty much any of my hunting gear. Maybe I’m going about this all wrong.