Still Hunting Rifle Carry?

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
When hunting the timber, do you hand carry or sling your rifle? Tough using your binos with one hand if you carry. Not ready for a quick shot if you sling. I have also tried one of the gun carry systems, don't much care for the barrel in front of my face as well as the Velcro being a little noisy. Any other suggestions?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me all depends on the sign, the time of day, what my gut instinct is telling me and the terrain........if I believe I am in recent sign and elk or deer are in the immediate area the rifle is off the shoulder and at the ready.........otherwise I have it slung over my shoulder. I use the kifaru universal gunbearer when hiking in or in the dark.

Last edited:

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how tight terrain is, in tight stuff, hands, use rangefinder instead of binos. More open, on shoulder/binos.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If the sign is fresh (rubs, tracks) or just a great feeling, gun always in ready position and thumb on safety. If I need to use binos, just slowly sling the gun and use them. In close cover, the human eye is way better than binos at say 50 yards and under.

some of the areas i hunt, mostly for spring bear and blacktail its alot of slowly walking old overgrown roads and i use a corral gunslinger on my pack. as sign and action becomes more immediate, i will use a multitude of different carries. sometimes i go old school and carry in the crook of my left arm, barrel rearward. sometimes i grip the forend with my left hand, usually when using my right to push branches out of my way. if im in big timber thats more open i often hold grip in my right hand with stock into crook of my right arm or try for a skeletal carry such as used by patrolmen, gripping with both hands ready to shoulder...