Still Hunting with a bow

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice. It's been a weird season in Northern MN this year. The majority of people I've talked to have not even seen a buck this year during the rifle season. I myself haven't seen any horns in over a month now and now it's officially late season. All the bucks I caught on camera in October and early November are no where to be found. Most everyone has given up at this point but I've still got my archery tag burning a hole in my pocket. I don't want to spend the money on a muzzle loader and tag this late in the year so I've decided to go all in on still hunting with my bow.

After a quick scout on Saturday, I determined that the deer are bedding and feeding in the same spots, all under oak trees with a few acorns still clinging on. These beds are almost all off the trails I use to get around the property. I moved through quickly on my scout and did push a couple deer out but hopefully not far. We got a lot of snow last night on top of the 5 inches or so that was already on the ground. Now the bitter cold and negative temps are here for the week. Stand hunting seems almost a waste of time now.

Does anyone have any tips for still hunting in these conditions? The snow has been awesome for protecting me from noise but I can't seem to get close enough before they spot me. I've been using the wind but it didn't seem to matter on Saturday. They run off before I can even see them. I also haven't cut ANY buck tracks near these beds. They seem to be all doe's in the area. Are the bucks just completely isolating themselves right now? I'm still a bit of rookie when it comes to white tail. Still learning a lot about their patterns and tendencies.

There's a big group of mature pines on the neighbors property on the other side of a ravine on the property I hunt. I'm wondering if the bucks in the area are using that as a sanctuary. It would make sense with the low amount of snow accumulation in that spot.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Get yourself some white lightweight pants & jacket...doesn't have to be camo...hunt slowly into the wind when the deer are up & moving. Most likely midday if really cold. Hunt edges of cover inside the woods...transition cover & be patient.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I have a hard time finding bucks late season in northern Michigan as well. You could try Benoit style tracking. I got on a nice 8 point in his bed during archery season. 20 yards away and too thick to shoot, but I’ve had a fair amount of deer I would have felt confident shooting with a bow, when I’ve been tracking with a rifle. It’d definitely be harder with a bow but I agree in the big woods it’s tough to narrow them down enough to kill one from a tree stand especially out of the rut. Here they yard up late season, I find the most deer on south slopes and/or protective cover mainly old growth hemlocks especially if there are regrowth poplar nearby.

OP
mmcdonough

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I have a hard time finding bucks late season in northern Michigan as well. You could try Benoit style tracking. I got on a nice 8 point in his bed during archery season. 20 yards away and too thick to shoot, but I’ve had a fair amount of deer I would have felt confident shooting with a bow, when I’ve been tracking with a rifle. It’d definitely be harder with a bow but I agree in the big woods it’s tough to narrow them down enough to kill one from a tree stand especially out of the rut. Here they yard up late season, I find the most deer on south slopes and/or protective cover mainly old growth hemlocks especially if there are regrowth poplar nearby.

I haven't heard of the Benoit style but it looks awesome. All this undergrowth does make shooting lanes nearly impossible. I've been trying to stick to trails so I have an actual shooting lane but I've been bumping a lot of deer that way. It's definitely challenging to hunt that style where I'm at. I've only got a couple hundred acres of access. There's lots of public close to my house, but they've opened up all the non-ohv trails to snowmobiles now. Gets dicey walking around back there with guys all liquored up and doing mach 10 on the trails.

They definitely yard up here as well. We've gotten close to 10-12 inches of snow accumulation in the last couple of weeks so when I go out again this weekend I'm sure movement will be at a premium. There's a big grove of mature red pine that I can get into on another property though that might be worth taking a look at now.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I might be a bit late replying to this, but I love still hunting, and just got a bow. It’s a challenge with a bow, haven’t arrowed one yet.
The deer I have shot while still hunting, I usually use some type of call to turn them around or slow them down. Usually in the early season though. But this may be worth a try.
I often get close, and then bump them before I have a shot. What I try to do then is, move over about 50 yards, wait 15 minutes or so. Then use a fawn distress call or doe bleat to try and get the doe to circle back around. I used a grunt to get a buck curious after bumping him too, but that was mid rut.
It is hit or miss, but if your other tactics aren’t working, give it a try.

Looking for advice. It's been a weird season in Northern MN this year. The majority of people I've talked to have not even seen a buck this year during the rifle season. I myself haven't seen any horns in over a month now and now it's officially late season. All the bucks I caught on camera in October and early November are no where to be found. Most everyone has given up at this point but I've still got my archery tag burning a hole in my pocket. I don't want to spend the money on a muzzle loader and tag this late in the year so I've decided to go all in on still hunting with my bow.

After a quick scout on Saturday, I determined that the deer are bedding and feeding in the same spots, all under oak trees with a few acorns still clinging on. These beds are almost all off the trails I use to get around the property. I moved through quickly on my scout and did push a couple deer out but hopefully not far. We got a lot of snow last night on top of the 5 inches or so that was already on the ground. Now the bitter cold and negative temps are here for the week. Stand hunting seems almost a waste of time now.

Does anyone have any tips for still hunting in these conditions? The snow has been awesome for protecting me from noise but I can't seem to get close enough before they spot me. I've been using the wind but it didn't seem to matter on Saturday. They run off before I can even see them. I also haven't cut ANY buck tracks near these beds. They seem to be all doe's in the area. Are the bucks just completely isolating themselves right now? I'm still a bit of rookie when it comes to white tail. Still learning a lot about their patterns and tendencies.

There's a big group of mature pines on the neighbors property on the other side of a ravine on the property I hunt. I'm wondering if the bucks in the area are using that as a sanctuary. It would make sense with the low amount of snow accumulation in that spot.
This time of the year I would hang around a viable food source. Most deer are looking to feed as much as they can to survive the winter. Midday, walk the edges of known crop fields or other areas where deer feed. Find a trail leading to and from the feeding area and set up on the downwind side get tucked into a deadfall or some brush. Good luck!