Still Hunting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Anyone else like still hunting whitetails? Most years I do it more than I sit on stand. I feel like in the "big country" I hunt, it's a little more efficient than sit and wait...I put together a video from a kill a few years back. Let me know what you think.

Rich M

WKR
LoL!

Used to be stand hunters were seen as cheaters.

Now ground blinds and sneak and peak hunting is coming back. I gotta break out my bell bottoms!

Just yapping. Glad you got one.

Last edited:

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
99% of the time I still hunt, I occasionally will sit first thing in the morning in a few spots but I see so few deer here while sitting. I cover a lot more ground and see a lot more while on the move. I end up with much better shots as well, majority of the time shooting deer bedded down rather than walking or running by.

OP
C
You guys are just rifle hunting correct? I can’t see many people being very consistent on big whitetail with a bow this way.
I do it with a bow a bit. When conditions are right. A couple years back I snuck up on a 3 yr old 8 pt in his bed. He had a sapling blocking his lungs so I never shot, wind swirled after about 15 minutes and he took off. Would have shot with a rifle but it was last week of bow season. I've been in range of does half dozen or so times, but this is a buck only area.

OP
C
99% of the time I still hunt, I occasionally will sit first thing in the morning in a few spots but I see so few deer here while sitting. I cover a lot more ground and see a lot more while on the move. I end up with much better shots as well, majority of the time shooting deer bedded down rather than walking or running by.
Seems like it's more common in your neck of the woods isn't it?

pk_

WKR
Nice job.

Definitely my favorite way to hunt. I usually kill a buck or two each year that way, but treestand hunting is so easy and effective in most situations I generally spend more time doing that. But this year I am specifically hunting places where still hunting will be a better option, because it is what I enjoy.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
The buck in my profile picture was taken while still hunting, the day before Thanksgiving, public land in Wi. I'm very confident I would have never gotten the opportunity if I was just walking or if I was in a stand. Definitely will be using this technique more.

You guys are just rifle hunting correct? I can’t see many people being very consistent on big whitetail with a bow this way.
I haven't bow hunted in quite a few years, now. But when I did, I was stillhunting. Only shot 2 deer in all those years....a forky and a doe. But, I wouldn't trade either for a truck load of 8 and 10 pointers from a stand/blind.

Hoodie

WKR
Don't have whitetails in my area but this is a popular technique for blacktails in the PNW. I'm hoping to start implementing it more. The ground here is usually wet and you don't have a lot of deciduous trees so it's probably a fair bit easier here than back east.

I've done it for practice in the off-season or while scouting and walked up on some decent bucks, but never with a tag in my pocket.

Super impressive that guys are regularly killing whitetails like this.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like it's more common in your neck of the woods isn't it?

Actually the majority of the people I know that hunt this area all sit. They like to watch the drainages mostly. I grew up still hunting as a little guy and stuck with it because I just plain see a lot of deer that way. I broke 3 ribs a couple seasons ago and walking all day with a pack made me pretty sore so I did a bunch of sitting but I almost came up empty handed until the end when I started to heal up and could walk more.

At our family camp we used to do a lot of deer drives and I would always be one to walk, in the end the good drivers would always have better success than the watchers so it was some reinforcement in my mind that walking around made me more successful that being parked somewhere.

GMT

FNG
If conditions are favorable it is a fun and productive way to hunt. Sometimes conditions make it almost impossible and stand hunting is the only way to go.