Still struggling to buy a bag....

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Was pretty sold on a Hammock Gear Econ 0. Then I hesitated on a down bag because I live in Oregon and hunt where it rains 25 hours a day, 366 days a year.

I also hesitated on a quilt once I saw the bags that have no bottom insulation and a little sleeve for your pad to go in.

And I was going to go with 0 degree bag just in case, but now I'm thinking 20 degree to save weight and just toss on my puffy if I get cold.

Argh! Thoughts? Recommendations on a bag with a sleeve like I described before? The only one I've actually had my hands on was the Big Agnes Lost Ranger.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Pull the trigger, test it out.

Only way to find what works for you!

Very few people get the right pack, boots, shelter, bag on the first try.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would rather the warmer bag then vent if to warm. I like to sleep in only base layers and a beanie if needed. The puffy will only add insulation and warmth if not compressed when in the bag so keep this in mind.

Your best option might be two synthetics from my hardware or Marmot. They will not compress as well S down and will weigh a little more but the differences are not that much anymore. You could probably get last year's or the year before 0 and 20 synthetic for the price of 1 down bag from the higher end companies.

Overall pick the conditions you will hunt most knock 10 degrees or so off and go with something around that

ljalberta

WKR
Pull the triggee, test it out.

Only way to find what works for you!

Very few people get the right pack, boots, shelter, bag on the first try.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This has been my experience as well. Sites like this help up the level of gear research, but at the end of the day, nothing will determine the best gear for you outside of personal experience.

That being said, I would also recommend a bag/quilt slightly warmer than the weather you'll be out in. Easy to vent, plus, I personally don't like sleeping in anything more than base layers. I used to simply layer up to save weight, but I find my sleeps are much better when I am not wrapped up in a fleece or puffy above the base layers. Some prefer to run a lighter bag and layer though.

1signguy

WKR
I always recommend a 20 degree lower limit than what you think you will need. A built in margin of safety and comfort is just a smart thing. Some achieve this by layering but there is a lot to be said for comfort...

Having both quilts and bags I find a down quilt is more and more my go to... Nothing like some downey goodness when it comes to bed time... All you have to do is plan your system to work around the rain and damp conditions you can expect in the Northwest...

C Bow

WKR
I bought a KUIU bag last year and it was awesome except for the shoulder room I am 6 1 210 LBS so I sold to a smaller frame friend and went with a Western Mountaineering Badger and it has enough shoulder room for me

desertcj

WKR
If I hunted where it rained that much, I would absolutely go synthetic! I have had at least one instance where down would have given me hypothermia. Yeah, I screwed up. I'm not perfect, are you? I currently use a Big Agnes encampment. It's a 15 degree synthetic bag, weighs 3lbs. As you have seen, Big Agnes bags have no insulation on the bottom and have a sleeve for a pad. If I was going to upgrade right now, I would go with an Enlightened Equipment Revelation Apex 20 quilt. 2lbs and add a 6oz bug net bivy to hold it all together.

I bought a KUIU bag last year and it was awesome except for the shoulder room I am 6 1 210 LBS so I sold to a smaller frame friend and went with a Western Mountaineering Badger and it has enough shoulder room for me
That's about a perfect bag forme in WA.