Still waiting - Henry rifle

BoneDok

FNG
Anyone else have a firearm ordered through their FFL that they’re STILL waiting on??

I placed an order back in September for a Henry all-steel 44 mag lever action. Then, Henry decided in late October to stop production on models without the side gate, forcing me to contact both Henry and my FFL to see if my order was cancelled (which it was). This ultimately lead to my FFL placing a new order for me in late Oct/early Nov for the newer side gate model. And here I sit...still waiting...

I call my FFL every two weeks or so asking for updates and keep being told they aren’t getting any Henry’s in. They’re also saying they don’t know anything more than I do and all we can do is wait. I’ve stopped by there a few times and, each time, there are multiple customers doing transactions on new firearms, meaning my FFL is still getting firearms delivered.

Starting to get pretty frustrated at this point, I emailed Henry asking what lead time currently is on their rifles and if they’re having any issues with production that could be delaying my order. That was a month ago and still no reply. I feel like Henry has a reputation for great customer service, so I’m surprised I haven’t heard anything back. This is just adding to my frustration unfortunately.

Is anyone else having similar issues - particularly with Henry rifles? Should I contact my FFL’s distributor? Should I cancel my order and try to go through a bigger (i.e. not my local mom and pop) FFL? I’m open to any suggestions at this point.

I started this in September, hoping to have a new rifle for November’s deer season. That ship sailed a long time ago. Now I just want to know what’s going on or how to speed things up. Again, any info/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
Most everything is in short supply. If you want one get one on Gun Broker and have it shipped to a dealer near you. You could be shooting it in a week or so. Waiting for one to be built could be a year or more.

OP
BoneDok

BoneDok

FNG
Yeah I’ve been looking at Gun Broker quite a bit. Just can’t get myself past the $200-$300 upcharge that you end up paying ha, plus shipping and transfer fee. Also, I don’t understand how the new models end up available on Gun Broker but not available to my FFL. Obviously the rifles are being produced by Henry or people wouldn’t have them available to post on Gun Broker...

I’m really just scratching my head wondering if there’s a disconnect here with my FFL and their distributor or if everyone is in the same boat, just waiting for orders to be filled.

If that’s the case, I’ll probably end up going the online route like you said.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
It's actually pretty rare that a gun is "ordered" for a customer. Most POs and orders are in the pipeline long before, and any "order" that the FFL does for you on an out of stock item is basically a wish list. If it was, in fact, ordered for you, the ones that are popping up on gunbroker were probably from POs that superseded your FFL's order by date, or by status. If you really want the gun ASAP, buy one that's actually available. Looks like several options on gunbroker that are between $800-$900. MSRP is $969, so you're still getting it under that.

OP
BoneDok

BoneDok

FNG
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Yeah I’ve been watching Gun Broker pretty regularly but haven’t “pulled the trigger” just yet. My FFL gave me a price right around $800 so was hoping to stay there while also avoiding shipping/transfer fees. There’s really no rush for it aside from wanting to go to the range - so with ammo prices/availability today and deer season 7-8 months away, I might as well wait it out at this point. Just frustrating to have “ordered” something 5-6 months ago and still be waiting. Thinking I may have been better off submitting for my first tax stamp item haha may have had that sooner.

Oh well, I guess this is today’s world. Maybe it’ll get to my FFL before November, we’ll see

goat2244

FNG
I have an FFL and order specific firearms for customers all the time. Its a waiting game right now. Distributors don't have inventory either. Will be that way for at least another year. Demand is up several hundred percent and supply is down 40-50% because of the year we were all dealt last year. Gunbroker, or another auction site, is the only way to get something "right now" but you will pay a little extra.

I have an FFL and order specific firearms for customers all the time. Its a waiting game right now. Distributors don't have inventory either. Will be that way for at least another year. Demand is up several hundred percent and supply is down 40-50% because of the year we were all dealt last year. Gunbroker, or another auction site, is the only way to get something "right now" but you will pay a little extra.

Not only this, but rifle manufacturers are having a hard time getting ammo to test rifles out in the manufacturing process. Literally every element of the supply chain is backed up because there are only so many producers of raw materials.

I’ve been waiting on 2 Henry All Weather Side Gate models since December 2020.. The dealer contacted me in June, that Henry was shipping 100 of his 400+ pc pipeline. Nothing actually shipped. Frustrating!
Henry is wasting their current business advantage, since the Marlins are not yet back in production….

I’ve been waiting on 2 Henry All Weather Side Gate models since December 2020.. The dealer contacted me in June, that Henry was shipping 100 of his 400+ pc pipeline. Nothing actually shipped. Frustrating!
Henry is wasting their current business advantage, since the Marlins are not yet back in production….

So you called the dealer and he got 0 of the 100 units?

So you called the dealer and he got 0 of the 100 units?
The units they shipped didn’t match the models I ordered. Henry has given no update on when more will be released. I don’t pressure my dealer every 2 weeks, as I have a high level of trust with him.
What happened to America’s ability to out produce the world, to the extent that it was our edge to win wars?

This, along with my experience in other areas of business logistics, does not say much for our current ability as a nation.

The units they shipped didn’t match the models I ordered. Henry has given no update on when more will be released. I don’t pressure my dealer every 2 weeks, as I have a high level of trust with him.
What happened to America’s ability to out produce the world, to the extent that it was our edge to win wars?

This, along with my experience in other areas of business logistics, does not say much for our current ability as a nation.

As someone who works in manufacturing, I think that you're underestimating how much demand across the gun industry has spiked. Many manufacturers for guns, gun accessories, optics, ammo, etc are backordered well into 2022.

We won wars by turning jukebox and farm implement companies into rifle manufacturers because our rifle manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand.

It looks like Henry has 128 different models of gun they manufacture. They're probably backordered on all of them. Chances are that Henry requires dealers to put in a program order at the beginning of the year, and that your dealer waited a month to put your rifles in with their 2021 program order, which they only got 1/4 of 6 months after they ordered it.

Reactions: OMB

Rich M

WKR
For OP - if you knew a year or so ago that if you spent an extra $200-$300 you would have the gun and been shooting it for say 11 months. Would you have done it?

That would be your answer on whether or not you should buy now.

That's enough of an increase for me, that if it went over $X$ I could wait and do without while hoping the price didn't go up any more...

The Henry rifles are worth it. I’m not surprised they’re so backed up. I have a non-side gate All Weather 45-70 and a single shot in 243. The fit and finish, as well as accuracy, put my Marlin 336 (1980 vintage) to shame. And that Marlin is one of my favorite rifles.

In these interesting times you’re going to need either extra patience or extra cash.