stock for 1917

bnsafe

WKR
Hello, my dad passed away this week and I want to redo his deer rifle. Its a sporterized 1917 3006. Has a normal stock on it but a few years ago I tried to redo the stock and dont like the way it turned out at all. I would like to put it in a plastic stock of some kind but cant find one. Anyone know where to look? Nothing remains of the original military gun except for markings on barrel, bolt, etc. There is now way to put it back to original but would like to hunt with it this fall.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
Doing a quick search, there doesn't appear to be any synthetic stock options for the 1917. Looks like you can get a reproduction original stock from Numrich or an aftermarket from Boyds. Links below.

Wapiti1

WKR
Boyds is an option for a wood, or laminate stock. Make sure you get the right trigger guard inlet. Original M1917 trigger guards were stepped. Most sporterized versions were converted to a flat trigger guard.

MPI is the only shop I know that offers that inlet in synthetic. You can modify other inlets to work, but will need to bed it and paint.

Jeremy

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
should I drill and tap it for a scope or is that just wrong? It has aftermarket williams peep sights on it but barrel, action, etc is stamped original.

Wapiti1

WKR
should I drill and tap it for a scope or is that just wrong? It has aftermarket williams peep sights on it but barrel, action, etc is stamped original.
No reason not to drill it. Those are not like a banner Mauser or FN action where it hurts the collector value to D&T it.

Only thing you need to know is what is the rear ring contoured to. Was it ground to the same diameter as the front, or did they do it to match some other action. Some are done to match a Remington, others match a Winchester, or FN Mauser. If you look at an original M1917 you'll see that the rear bridge had big ears where the peep sight was mounted. Those were cut off and the bridge was shaped from there, usually. Some guys left them flat, which looks like hell, but works.

When I rework an M1917, I contour the bridge to match the front ring. Then D&T so the front scope mount from a Remington works on both.

Jeremy