Stock Model 70 Updates/Grades

SWOHTR

WKR
All,

Figured this would be a good place to ask this. I have a 20 year old bone-stock Model 70 in .270 Win. It's always been a great gun and I'm wanting to update it a bit. It's a Walmart gun, i.e. it came from Walmart with a 3-9x40 Bushnell scope. Blued and composite black stock. No brake, comp, anything like that.

Intended use: deer and western hunting out to 300 yds. Maximum game size would be elk.

I definitely need to upgrade scope and rings. Thoughts here? Was thinking something simple like a Leupold V3.

Is it possible to change the magazine? I've always wanted a removable magazine. Not sure if this is possible.

Trigger? Thoughts there?

Not looking to spend a lot of money, just make some worthy updates. Thanks!

I saw this thread but it didn't get me too far: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/model-70-floor-plate.267324/

lak2004

WKR
Just make the trigger pull lighter by changing the spring tension, Google it, super simple and makes a huge difference.

You would need to inlet the stock for a mag, pain in the ass especially on a cheap Tupperware stock. I've chased cheap stock options for years on mine and finally bit the bullet and ordered a bansner last week. I'll use a 1 piece floor plate that I got from stockys.

What's typical shot distance for you? Scope and rings will depend on that factor. Hard to beat a typical 3-9 though I like a 30mm tube and rings for low light shots.

I think best things are upgraded scope and trigger adjustment. Shoot it until you are real proficient and then choose your direction.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I think I might be inclined to get a nice Bell & Carlson synthetic stock with the aluminum bedding block in the stock just to make it more consistent in groups and bring out the best potential of the rifle. I really like my wood stocks and Boyds makes some great laminate stocks and you can get them checkered. I'd have the stock pillar and glass bedded.

A good gunsmith should be able to adjust your trigger down to a nice crisp 2.5-3.0 pounds range without too much trouble. I feel a good trigger pull is something that also helps one to shoot excellent groups.

I like your idea of the VX3 Leupold. Great scopes. I have a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the Boone & Crockett reticle on it and I love the scope. My son also has one on one of his rifles. Both of our scopes have the 1" tubes. Talley makes a great one piece base/ring mount.

130 or 140 gr. bullets will certainly take the game you listed and they seem to be the sweet spot for the 270 Winchester. These are my favorites.
130 gr. Nosler Accubond, Partition, or E-tip
140 gr. Nosler Accubond or Partition.

lak2004

WKR
I think I might be inclined to get a nice Bell & Carlson synthetic stock with the aluminum bedding block in the stock just to make it more consistent in groups and bring out the best potential of the rifle. I really like my wood stocks and Boyds makes some great laminate stocks and you can get them checkered. I'd have the stock pillar and glass bedded.

A good gunsmith should be able to adjust your trigger down to a nice crisp 2.5-3.0 pounds range without too much trouble. I feel a good trigger pull is something that also helps one to shoot excellent groups.

I like your idea of the VX3 Leupold. Great scopes. I have a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the Boone & Crockett reticle on it and I love the scope. My son also has one on one of his rifles. Both of our scopes have the 1" tubes. Talley makes a great one piece base/ring mount.

130 or 140 gr. bullets will certainly take the game you listed and they seem to be the sweet spot for the 270 Winchester. These are my favorites.
130 gr. Nosler Accubond, Partition, or E-tip
140 gr. Nosler Accubond or Partition.
Ive had a stockys laminate, Tupperware Winchester and B&C on mine, they all sucked in my opinion. Better to just spend the coin up front on a real good stock. I wasted a lot of money over the years changing from stock to stock.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will look into them. I've been shooting 150s for a couple years; they're good but like you say I think the 130/140s are "better" (they certainly seem more plentiful).

Unckebob

WKR
I like your idea of the VX3. I have a 2.5-10 Ty's this light and clear.

You best bet for a budget replacement stock is Stocky's.

The main issue for you will be finding new bottom metal, a mag box, mag spring and follower. Numritch usually has old parts in stock, but you'll have to go through their sight to make sure you have everything correct for your rifle.

Last edited: