Stock painting

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Will be picking up my Tikka T3x Superlite and wanted some info on stock painting. Love the rifle but wanted to add some pizzazz to it. I'm a fan of the textured web pattern. Is there any bit of difference having it professionally done or doing it myself? Also which paints would be recommended?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I've used Krylon camo paint on rifles, paintball guns and gear, and various other pieces of gear with great results. I'll seal it up with Minwax matte clear after 4-5 days of drying time.

manitou1

WKR
Duracoat paint, then a topcoat of Brownells Aluma-hyde II. The Aluma-hyde II is a hard, durable clear epoxy-based coating for protection and wear resistance.
I see no reason to pay somebody to do such an easy (and fun) task.
Practice your paint theme on a piece of scrap cardboard or wood before applying to your stock!

Reactions: REB

Boosnook

FNG
Will be picking up my Tikka T3x Superlite and wanted some info on stock painting. Love the rifle but wanted to add some pizzazz to it. I'm a fan of the textured web pattern. Is there any bit of difference having it professionally done or doing it myself? Also which paints would be recommended?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
Did you add the web pattern?

simarden

FNG
If the paint is too "toxic," you'll have to repaint the following year. I mean, if you paint in camouflage or something else to highlight, then the next season, you'll see that the paint dulls and cracks. It's necessary to handle the color carefully. It's better to take one that can be washed off. In case of failure at the first experiments, the mistake can be corrected and don't touch for a few seasons, which is entirely possible. I use DuPont - it's the most universal paint; you can wash it off after painting until it is "clean wood." Too bad you can't do custom painting on butts or coloring in general I know there are many Benefits of Painting by Numbers paintingbynumbersshop.com. Why not do that on rifles?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: wyo
Google sponge camo paint. It’s extremely easy. I have no artistic ability. I sprayed a flat clear coat after I was satisfied with the pattern to prevent wear.

Attachments

• ECC35D9F-E650-43B6-8BB4-92C26D5581DD.jpeg
    ECC35D9F-E650-43B6-8BB4-92C26D5581DD.jpeg
    680.1 KB · Views: 36

branw33

FNG
I used a piece of steel wood dipped in rustolem camo spray paint and dabbed it for a pattern. It turned out great and never really chipped