Stockingfoot waders for moose

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
anybody have any experience with stockinfoot waders? I'm planning to get some for an upcoming moose hunt and wanting to spend my money wisely. My research has shown the Simms G series are the best but are also pricey. It wouldn't be much of a concern but i dont duck hunt or have any other use for them aside this moose trip so i'm wondering if anyone has used cheaper brands such as Orvis or Cabelas or anything else? Or even the Simms Freestone series. I dont want to buy something cheaper and regret it once i'm there such as leaking, etc. Any input would be appreciated

anybody have any experience with stockinfoot waders? I'm planning to get some for an upcoming moose hunt and wanting to spend my money wisely. My research has shown the Simms G series are the best but are also pricey. It wouldn't be much of a concern but i dont duck hunt or have any other use for them aside this moose trip so i'm wondering if anyone has used cheaper brands such as Orvis or Cabelas or anything else? Or even the Simms Freestone series. I dont want to buy something cheaper and regret it once i'm there such as leaking, etc. Any input would be appreciated
I would need more info to truly comment on the question - IF you are talking a river float then YES, lightweight sock foot waders are nice but if you'll be doing any land hunting in wet areas I personally think I'd prefer some good MUCK boots for that part but then, you can step in over your knees without even trying - I wore Cabela's sock foot lightweights on an AK fishing trip and they worked just fine but with any of that type you WILL sweat - SIMMS is good stuff, but that's focused on "fishing", I'd not hesitate to wear them fishing in a boat in wet weather but don't fall in unless you have a good safety belt on !!

Jbehredt

WKR
Can save some money on the Simms headwaters waders. Still American made with the same gore laminate as the g3 series. Lack some fishing features that you wouldn’t miss.

No doubt, you won’t find a more breathable and durable stocking foot wader than Simms, but yeah, they aren’t cheap. I think that if you took care of them, and you had no plans on ever using them again, you could probably sell them and recoup a big portion of what you had into them, which wouldn’t be nearly as easy to do with a lesser brand. Anyway, just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwhitney

FNG
I recently did a moose hunt and used stocking waders with ultralight boots. The weight savings was huge over boot waders and they held up great. If I wasn't in camp, I had them on. I was running the cabelas waterproof breathable waders. The link won't paste onto here but the 4most Dry Plus. It was a 12 day hunt and I helped butcher and pack 3 moose in them.

hankharp

FNG
Last season I went with Chota Tundra Hippies with Simms G3 Guide boots. They lasted over two months of everyday use and then the boots were done. Simms replaced them for free under warranty.

The Hippies roll down to shin height when you aren’t wading but then they can go all the way up to the hip when you do need it. It’s been the best mix I’ve found for wade-ability combined with hiking. They’re also not expensive compared to other options.

Call Kevin at Barney’s Sports Chalet and he can get you lined out on the right sizing.

What type of hunting are you doing? I’m getting ready for my 8th Fall season in Alaska and I’ve yet to wear my waders more than an hour combined over 6 seasons (I didn’t buy the first two seasons).

They are hot. My first pair was a pair of Cabelas. I’m a little large and a stout was needed. My problem was the 1/2 size. I wear 10 1/2 boots and the 10s fit my body great but we’re too tight in the feet. Went with an 11 and they were too long.

My fishing waders are a cheap pair of caddies that I’ve fished with for 6 years. I have a nice pair of Cabelas wading boots I wear with them, but I only wear them when I’m hunting to load the boat if needed.

I wear a pair of knee high rubber boots and have spent a lot of time in the Alaskan marshes with them.

I don’t like overheating. To stay dry, I wear quick dry hiking pants and a mice pair of Helly Hansen bibs.

mcseal2

WKR
I was very glad to have the Simms G3 waders and boots on my hunt. We needed the chest height where we were and the ankle support of the boot was priceless packing out moose in a swamp. I know some guys buy the good ones for their hunt and sell them after, kinda like "renting" them. I bought my boots used, a guy took them on one AK hunt and then sold them. Worked great for me.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
i'm hunting out of Bethel w/papa bear, same country as renfro hunts as well. i've just heard all the horror stories from the swamp country they hunt and about 4/5 guys that hunt w/either of them had or "wush't" they would have had the chest waders cuz the swamp/delta like terrain. 1/5 are lucky and had higher hunting ground and you don't know til your leaving theyre hangar so i wanna be prepared. i guess what i was getting at w/my question was is there a cheaper/reliable brush beating pair of the g3's? like mcseal said above, he's been a great help to me on this forum w/?'s as he was hunting the same area i'll be in, generally speaking..

Jwhitney

FNG
Renfro flew us out and we did DIY from there. Waist height would have been fine walking everywhere but the chest waders were great for butchering, when you were down on your knees working on a moose. Also if your moose happened to die in the water chest waders would be a must or a swim suit.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
I recently did a moose hunt and used stocking waders with ultralight boots. The weight savings was huge over boot waders and they held up great. If I wasn't in camp, I had them on. I was running the cabelas waterproof breathable waders. The link won't paste onto here but the 4most Dry Plus. It was a 12 day hunt and I helped butcher and pack 3 moose in them.
Did your whole group have the same cabelas stockingfoot you did also? no leaks or probs?

Jwhitney

FNG
No, one guy used his neoprene duck waders, they were hot. The third guy, I believe used simms. I'm not sure what model. Nobody had any leak issues. The breathable waders weren't too hot. Where we weren't wearing them, we would hung them inside out to breath.

mcseal2

WKR
I've worn the neoprene waders in the past. I think I'd have slow cooked myself trying to pack moose in them. The ones I borrowed several years back were very warm even just setting out decoys and walking across the field. The Simms are way more breathable.

KU_Geo

WKR
I used frog togg pilot 2 waist high for a hunt out of Bethel and they were awesome. I’ve used them heavily a few more years since then fishing and they have been bombproof. You can get them pretty cheap if you shop around.

I used frog togg pilot 2 waist high for a hunt out of Bethel and they were awesome. I’ve used them heavily a few more years since then fishing and they have been bombproof. You can get them pretty cheap if you shop around.
agree 100% on these

KU_Geo

WKR
I went with wader pants and the worked fine. Could see where you might want full height waders if you aren’t careful but the pants worked fine for me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
IMO, Simms is the way to go, I live out of mine during moose season here in SWAK where it’s swampy and we’re in and out of boats and rafts or sitting in the rain.

If I were you and didn’t plan on using the waders much after this particular hunt, I’d probably get the cheaper Simms firestone or whatever they are called and call it a day, you should still be able to sell them afterwords but you won’t be so much $$$ out of pocket.

I’ve used those waders a lot in the past (have G3’s now) and never had any issues with them.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Dan Bailey waders. I've spent 15 years in the fishing industry and these are well known as the best bang-for-the-buck waders made. The Dan Bailey Lightweights retail for around $225.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk