Stocks

Seeknelk

WKR
I guess walking “with” is the question. Not I’m willing to take many running shots but an English stock on a shotgun has always been the quickest and most comfortable for me. Making the switch to a straight grip and still being able to quickly target game is more precise.
Yeah, I don't know. I just know they are plenty quick for me. Usually if I'm hiking, my gun is in my gun bearer or Slik Sling. I'm usually mountain hunting with a large pack on. And I've definitely carried it at the ready plenty of times in good sign ,tracking or whatever. Seems fine. Course at that moment I'd like if I could suddenly make the gun a 4 pound kimber.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
ever shoot an AR? that's where i grew to enjoy shooting offhand with a vertical grip

Yes sir. Most of the grips are not super comfortable to me. In fact I just sold a 308 AR to fund partially fund my current project.

I went a local sporting goods store last night w my calipers in hand and measure a few grip widths on factory guns. I have to say a few were fairly comfortable and intuitive.

I may just bite the bullet and roll w the “ modern grip”; it would certainly solve my bottom metal issue.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I don't know. I just know they are plenty quick for me. Usually if I'm hiking, my gun is in my gun bearer or Slik Sling. I'm usually mountain hunting with a large pack on. And I've definitely carried it at the ready plenty of times in good sign ,tracking or whatever. Seems fine. Course at that moment I'd like if I could suddenly make the gun a 4 pound kimber.
Nice. I plan on making out your way next year. Haha. On the light rifle.

I’m in the South East. I don’t often carry much w me other than a day pack. I’m fortune to have the mountains in my back yard, and usually make it home each night. I do however frequently walk 12-15 miles each day. Nothing Is open here and it’s pretty common to have to spend a portion of those miles on my hands and knees navigating the local flora.

is there’s something out there I’ve missed?

Despite the “tactical” or “for prone” dogma, a vertical grip the proper distance from the trigger makes it easier to cleanly break a trigger without disturbing the POA from every common position.

There’s a reason purpose built rifles for basically every competition discipline have vertical grips. Check out the grips on biathlon rifles in use in the olympics right now.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Why are all the aftermarket stock manufacturers making all the stocks with tactical/target style lines? I’m doing a semi-custom build off a Tikka action and trying to find a more sporting style stock that will accept the Tilkka action and a carbon Sendero cut barrel. In 50+ years of hunting I’ve yet to shoot an animal from the prone position.
is there’s something out there I’ve missed? I’ve looked at Mesa, Manners, McMillen, Greyboe. I don’t want to end up with a B&C stock after going through the effort/expense of building a rifle.
What did you decide on?

I'm still stuck between the Hunters Edge Sendero and Game Scout from McMillan.

Antares

WKR
What did you decide on?

I'm still stuck between the Hunters Edge Sendero and Game Scout from McMillan.

Those are pretty different stocks.

What grip do you want? If you want vertical, that's the Game Scout.

What barrel contour? The Game Scout won't accommodate a Sendero, but the Hunters Edge (and Game Warden) will.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Those are pretty different stocks.

What grip do you want? If you want vertical, that's the Game Scout.

What barrel contour? The Game Scout won't accommodate a Sendero, but the Hunters Edge (and Game Warden) will.

That’s been the dilemma. I was set to order about two weeks ago and held off, yet again. No harm no foul, since there was no way I was gonna it before hunting season anyway.

I’ve never had a stock w a vertical grip other than an AR. I went and felt a few more this morning, one of note I thought I might like was the Springfield waypoint, and I didn’t like it one bit. the width and palm-swell just felt off in my hand.

Either will fit my sporter contour. I’m close to being on a first name bases w McMillan by now (poor people) , they seem like a fantastic company.

Antares

WKR
Yeah sorry, I've got Tikka stuck in my head. I have McMillan Game Scout, Game Hunter, and Game Warden 2.0 stocks...all for Tikka inlets.

OP
12wander

12wander

FNG
Looks good. How does the vertical grip feel to you?

Im not going to lie. It’s going to take some adjusting after shooting sporting style rifles for 50+ years. I’ve been shooting my Ruger 22-250 that has a magpul stock with this style grip and been shooting it good.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Im not going to lie. It’s going to take some adjusting after shooting sporting style rifles for 50+ years. I’ve been shooting my Ruger 22-250 that has a magpul stock with this style grip and been shooting it good.

I understand the concept, the ergonomics etc. but I’m w you, after a lifetime of traditional grip angle stock It would be a challenge. I hope it works as you planned.

FLS

WKR
I understand the concept, the ergonomics etc. but I’m w you, after a lifetime of traditional grip angle stock It would be a challenge. I hope it works as you planned.
I had the same opinion. All my stocks were sporter / varminter style. I thought and still think the “tacticool“ stocks and chassis are fugly. The reality is once is , once I started shooting them, they are much easier to shoot accurately in any position. My match rifles are all in chassis and my some of hunting rifles are being converted to more modern / ergonomic designs The McMillan Game Hunter is the best of both IMO, and tends to be available. AG composites wait times keep getting longer, and Manners borders on ridiculous.