Stocks

12wander

FNG
Why are all the aftermarket stock manufacturers making all the stocks with tactical/target style lines? I’m doing a semi-custom build off a Tikka action and trying to find a more sporting style stock that will accept the Tilkka action and a carbon Sendero cut barrel. In 50+ years of hunting I’ve yet to shoot an animal from the prone position.
is there’s something out there I’ve missed? I’ve looked at Mesa, Manners, McMillen, Greyboe. I don’t want to end up with a B&C stock after going through the effort/expense of building a rifle.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My AG composites stock is rock solid off hand. Killed a cow leaning up against a tree at 100 yards. That’s old school! 😉

Attachments

• 246B495C-9161-4D2F-9FD1-F8DBB75B0D32.jpeg
    246B495C-9161-4D2F-9FD1-F8DBB75B0D32.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140

Lawnboi

WKR
People are finding out that vertical grips and higher comb/adjustable comb stocks cater to more than just the tactical market. They cater to the making shooting easier market. And not just for prone.

But if you must mcmillan and manners make traditional style stocks for tikka actions. Not sure if they will fit a sendero though. Call them and ask.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Bomb proof fit and finish for Tikka is the McMillan Hunters Edge stock. Call them and explain your setup and what you want and they’ll build you a stock.

This is a more traditional hunting style and very lightweight stock. Tikka action fitment is the best of any of the aftermarket stocks I’ve tried (Mesa, AG Composites, Manners).

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Chassis/stock manufacturers are tailoring products to long-range shooters. You can always prepare to shoot "long-range" and take 100yd shots but it is hard to shoot 600 yds if you are only set up to shoot 100. I also feel like it is geographical too. If you live back east and never plan on coming out west then long-range rifles are hard to justify. Once you get out west though and see elk on the other side of the canyon then shooting a little further is almost a must. So take all of that into consideration when you are looking at all of the stocks and chassis that are now offered! Here is a picture of Jordan Kauers boys shooting their Tikka in an XLR chassis. This could be looked at as a long-range rig, but he preaches the fitment of the chassis vs a stock. The buttstock on this chassis has a LOP range of 12-15 inches so he can make the rifle fit his boys then loosen 3 screws and have it fit him. They are the only way to go for ensuring proper rifle fitment for the entire family!
Jordan Kauer 300 wsm..jpg

BBob

WKR
I’ve wondering about shooting offhand w a vertical grip.
IMO not a problem. National Match/Camp Perry type match rifles have been used for quite some time now w/vertical grips and pretty much become the norm. With a thumb button or thumb shelf cycling the bolt is no harder than a traditionally stocked rifle. I find them easier to hold than a traditional stock.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
IMO not a problem. National Match/Camp Perry type match rifles have been used for quite some time now w/vertical grips and pretty much become the norm. With a thumb button or thumb shelf cycling the bolt is no harder than a traditionally stocked rifle. I find them easier to hold than a traditional stock.
Good point. I was thinking about that. They are so odd compared to traditional field/hunting stocks.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Imo besides carrying, there is no downside to a vertical grip.

Even w side flush cups ? I typically carry mine on back cross style out of necessity because the mountain laurels and rhododendrons were a hunt. Small sporter stocks w bottom mount sling swivels tend to dig in.

I’m having a somewhat confusing time w a current build as far as the stock goes. I am considering going to a straight grip stock but I don’t want to be in the same boat.

I shot my buck this year off hand at 70 yards with my 6.5 prc in an xlr chassis, felt just fine to me! Lol i see absolutely no functional benefit to going with a sporter stock over a chassis, especially an xlr. If you dont like the look or the price, thats a whole other issue tho

Lawnboi

WKR
Even w side flush cups ? I typically carry mine on back cross style out of necessity because the mountain laurels and rhododendrons were a hunt. Small sporter stocks w bottom mount sling swivels tend to dig in.

I’m having a somewhat confusing time w a current build as far as the stock goes. I am considering going to a straight grip stock but I don’t want to be in the same boat.
I don’t typically sling my rifles, I guess it really depends but flush cups on the sides help.

I’d would get a vertical grip stock. I can’t go without anymore. Makes it much easier to hold the rifle snug to your shoulder pocket without imparting grip torque

Seeknelk

WKR
I’ve wondering about shooting offhand w a vertical grip.
What are you wondering about it? I use an AG composites alpine hunter on my 300 PRC "everything" rifle. I prefer the vertical grips for all shooting positions. The only benefit to a more open grip to me is when carrying in both hands, tracking something, expecting a shot, then a more open grip might feel better to me. But shouldering and killing I line up quicker with the AG, but that's what I'm used to.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
What are you wondering about it? I use an AG composites alpine hunter on my 300 PRC "everything" rifle. I prefer the vertical grips for all shooting positions. The only benefit to a more open grip to me is when carrying in both hands, tracking something, expecting a shot, then a more open grip might feel better to me. But shouldering and killing I line up quicker with the AG, but that's what I'm used to.

I guess walking “with” is the question. Not I’m willing to take many running shots but an English stock on a shotgun has always been the quickest and most comfortable for me. Making the switch to a straight grip and still being able to quickly target game is more precise.