Stolen moose antlers

OP
AlexEnderson
My buddy had to pay there cost as well as the shipping. Also he paid them a little more just for them going out of there way. But in the long run he is not out that much it would have cost 200$ to get the rack back checked as oversized baggage anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
This is all pretty disheartening, but way cool of the antler buyer to do a little digging and find the owner! He was on top of his game with that.

Reading about Anchorage reminds me of Albuquerque and most of NM (all?). NEVER leave anything of value in your vehicle, especially while parked at a hotel, trailhead, etc around here. Our crime is out of control as well and state/local governments couldn't care less.

EastMT

WKR
That’s awesome. Despite Alaska’s size it’s a prettty small community, not that many commercial buyers, and can’t advertise safely, glad for the hunter.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
That’s awesome. Despite Alaska’s size it’s a prettty small community, not that many commercial buyers, and can’t advertise safely, glad for the hunter.

Well said...and our "small community" still has many really good people living here. I'm also happy for the hunter.

Awesome they were recovered and that there are still some good down to earth people in this world. I’ve never understood stealing someone’s antlers but apparently they just did it to sell them.

Fatcamp

WKR
This is all pretty disheartening, but way cool of the antler buyer to do a little digging and find the owner! He was on top of his game with that.

Reading about Anchorage reminds me of Albuquerque and most of NM (all?). NEVER leave anything of value in your vehicle, especially while parked at a hotel, trailhead, etc around here. Our crime is out of control as well and state/local governments couldn't care less.

Coming to a Democrat controlled nation near you.

Awesome they were recovered and that there are still some good down to earth people in this world. I’ve never understood stealing someone’s antlers but apparently they just did it to sell them.
Some guys will buy brown antler for $10 bucks a pound removed from the skull plate, a meth head will jump all over that if he comes across a fresh 30 lb rack.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Coming to a Democrat controlled nation near you.
Sadly, you're absolutely right wrt NM.

Yeah this has to do with politics 🙄
It does around here for sure. When people know they can get away with crimes (car theft is a good example in Albuquerque), more cars get stolen. The way NM is run (and has been for decades), how criminals are punished (or not), etc directly affects crime. I can't wrap my head around why we aren't harder on criminals, it makes essentially everyone's life miserable with how it's currently going. You can choose not to blame politics, and that's your right, but I believe that's short sighted.

NUGGET

WKR
Sadly, you're absolutely right wrt NM.

It does around here for sure. When people know they can get away with crimes (car theft is a good example in Albuquerque), more cars get stolen. The way NM is run (and has been for decades), how criminals are punished (or not), etc directly affects crime. I can't wrap my head around why we aren't harder on criminals, it makes essentially everyone's life miserable with how it's currently going. You can choose not to blame politics, and that's your right, but I believe that's short sighted.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
We can send a man to the moon but can't find a way to catch and harshly punish thieves? It should be understood that stealing more than a candy bar puts your life in jeopardy, but sadly thieves are rarely caught.

Maybe we should all start leaving obvious valuables in the back of our trucks and setting up nearby with a rifle, it's hunting and we're good at that....something to hunt in the offseason. Would love to hear stories about thieves being killed and some pics with a smiling sheriff and dead thief, we could share the best setups and times....yeah I know I live in dreamland, but god I hate thieves.

thats shooting over bait. Gotta find their travel routes, make some mock crack dens and skewer em with a fixed blade from a long bow.

TheGDog

WKR
Surprisingly the antlers were recovered and are on there way back to MN within the next week or so.

Thanks to the people that helped make this happen.

I was extremely surprised to get a text from a local antler buyer last night and called them this morning and they had the antlers in hand.

Brother! That is soo awesome! I'm soo glad to hear you got em back!!!

JPD350

WKR
That is an amazing recovery!
Not only is it important for antler buyers to be on the watch for thieves but for poachers as well.
I found a fresh elk kill a few years back while hunting, I ended up not killing that year but I took the antlers and tagged them with my tag. Long story short, someone stole my game camera that year and this bull I found was one of the bulls I had been scouting (320" bull) I figured I'd take the antlers and sell them to replace my camera. The buyer I sold them to was very thorough in checking out my story, I had to prove to him that I tagged them legally and numerous times he asked about details of my story trying to see if my story changed at all.
Anyway I thought it was pretty cool that he didn't just buy them!

ABQ isn't all bad!

bpurtz

WKR
Awesome that your buddy's trophy was recovered!

Since that situation ended with a positive outcome, anybody else hoping to see some of the picture pissing match giants that Nugget & thinhorn_AK claim to have? Put the gloves on boys - post them up!!!