Stolen moose antlers

I always remove anything of value and put it in my room when staying in a motel. Sorry to hear your story.

njdoxie

WKR
We can send a man to the moon but can't find a way to catch and harshly punish thieves? It should be understood that stealing more than a candy bar puts your life in jeopardy, but sadly thieves are rarely caught.

Maybe we should all start leaving obvious valuables in the back of our trucks and setting up nearby with a rifle, it's hunting and we're good at that....something to hunt in the offseason. Would love to hear stories about thieves being killed and some pics with a smiling sheriff and dead thief, we could share the best setups and times....yeah I know I live in dreamland, but god I hate thieves.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
Sucks, I was pissed for a long time when an a##hole punk-ass kid stole an entire 10pt whitetail I shot when I hiked back up the hill to get the rest of my gear. Knew who did it and had zero chance of recovery.

JL

Jkr61

FNG
👆😂 had a shop teacher do something similar. He put white paint on a can of skoal set it out and waited for it to disappear then went looking for the kid with white paint on them. Guess who had to clean the shop during lunch for awhile!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
So are the police not able to track down those plates right away? Im confused sounds like you have them caught with the vehicle info... I would loose my shit if this happened to me, I always bring them into the hotel room if I am traveling...

I was with a buddy on a self guided Alaskan moose hunt a few days back. He killed a non resident legal bull on our hunt. We went back to our hotel near the airport in Anchorage. The laquinta inn and suites is where we stayed. My buddies antlers were stolen out of the pickup Wednesday night from this location.

Police reports have been filed. Also we stopped at the Alaska fur company and left photos of the antlers. A few hours after we left there we got an email saying someone stopped in to try and sell the antlers but they got suspicious and bailed with the antlers before anyone could do anything. They did get plate numbers and a vehicle description. These people were driving a Silver Honda Odyssey Alaska plate number GLX451.

I figured it wouldn’t hurt to post this on here to get the issue a bit more exposure.

Word of advice Don’t leave your antlers or anything else of value in your vehicle while staying in anchorage. I didn’t realize antler theft was a huge issue until this last trip to Alaska. The way it sounds this happens all of the time these days.

3da0f98c61e1d5ba793d4b2e3d27dc13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex please pm me your phone number I think I may have some insight.

OP
AlexEnderson
Surprisingly the antlers were recovered and are on there way back to MN within the next week or so.

Thanks to the people that helped make this happen.

I was extremely surprised to get a text from a local antler buyer last night and called them this morning and they had the antlers in hand.

OP
AlexEnderson
No kidding i thought they were gone for sure. Luckily the guy that recovered them is a good honest person !

So are the police not able to track down those plates right away? Im confused sounds like you have them caught with the vehicle info.
The crime in Anchorage is out of control in addition to the police spending probably more than 50% of their time dealing with problems stemming from the very high homeless population. I had a coworker get a car jacked and the police basically said turn it into insurance and forget about it. They have other stuff to deal with. There’s a very good chance the vehicle they were in came up as stolen or with stolen plates.

Very happy to hear he got his antlers back and that locals buyers are actually on the lookout!

My last time at a Canadian hunting camp, 2 fellow Americans drove across the boarder from MI, into Canada. They went for dinner, came out, all their gear & guns were gone...... The guide lent them gear, guns & ammo.. so they were able to hunt.

Surprisingly the antlers were recovered and are on there way back to MN within the next week or so.

I was extremely surprised to get a text from a local antler buyer last night and called them this morning and they had the antlers in hand.

HOLY CRAP!!! So happy for you dude! I was sick just thinking about it!

Last edited:

Right on, good deal! Now we need to hear the story.

OP
AlexEnderson
Long story short.

The license plate number I posted above in my original post was googled by an antler buyer after they thought someone was trying to sell them stolen antlers. I guess the lady looked really suspicious. Once they searched that plate number online my post popped up due to it being so recent. The antler buyer saw that the antlers he purchased were the same ones in my picture I posted. They then looked at an old post of mine in the classifieds and found my phone number and called me.

They got photos of the thief and those are going to be turned into anchorage PD.

FlyGuy

WKR
Long story short.

The license plate number I posted above in my original post was googled by an antler buyer after they thought someone was trying to sell them stolen antlers. I guess the lady looked really suspicious. Once they searched that plate number online my post popped up due to it being so recent. The antler buyer saw that the antlers he purchased were the same ones in my picture I posted. They then looked at an old post of mine in the classifieds and found my phone number and called me.

They got photos of the thief and those are going to be turned into anchorage PD.

Wow, that’s great of them to go thru the trouble to do that! And they are out the money they paid for the antlers too! How much did they pay for them, btw? I’m curious.

You can’t cheat the mountain