Stone glacier 5900 or 6900

Firebug93

FNG
Split on which one to get. Will mainly use for day hunts and 2-5 day hunts every once in a while. I am leaning toward the 5900 because I like the zipper layout.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The side pockets on the 6900 drove me nuts when compressing the bag down in bivy mode. Just felt like a bunch of unnecessary fabric that fought against the webbing. I don’t carry camera gear or spotter so I really only utilized them for general space when the bag was full. Other than that I really like the center zip.

Mosby

WKR
I am looking at the same two bags. I probably only need the 5900 but extra space is nice when its cold and your packing camp up. Trying to get everything down to a minimum size is a pain when your tired and hands are cold, so I am leaning towards a 7900. I have thought about ordering both and sending one back but my wife would have a canary when that charge hits.

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
5900 zipper to main pocket seems like it would work the best and will an ANGLED vortex 65mm scope fit in the side zip of the 6900?

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
5900 is the most popular ones we sell out of our store and I personally run it. The 6900 is more of a 5 day or more pack. I go for about 3 to 4 nights elk hunting with my 5900 and also run it as my day pack unless it is just a 1 day scouting trip in the summer.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I have the r3 5900 and I love it. Imo its plenty big unless you plan on extended trips in super cold conditions that may require extra gear to compensate for the temps/weather.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
All I would get the 6900 for is the side pockets to put my spotter in.

Just picked up a 6900. Doesn’t seem overly big to me. I am more likely to want the extra space than be bothered by it.

Jimss

WKR
If it were me I'd get the biggest bag available. The only time I use a small day pack is when scouting. If there is any chance I'll be harvesting a critter I grab the biggest pack I have. It will save you a trip returning to the truck to grab a larger bag! I doubt if you would really notice the weight difference between a 5,900 and 6,900 bag when it's on your back? It certainly is nice having a bag that can haul large-bulky loads. You can always cinch down a larger bag but if you don't have room in a bag.....you are screwed! You'll have to attach bulky items to the top, etc. I spend a great deal of time packing boned meat, capes, etc and it definitely is nice having a large bag! I have a 2nd small daypack that I use for scouting.

jnordwell

FNG
i have a 5900 and wish i go tth e 6900
That’s the reason I went with the 6200.. lol didn’t want to regret it at some point. Buddy last night was like why in the hell do you have that big of a bag.. just Incase.. is all I said.

That’s the reason I went with the 6200.. lol didn’t want to regret it at some point. Buddy last night was like why in the hell do you have that big of a bag.. just Incase.. is all I said.
Ya they compress so well I don't think you can tell the difference between the 2

SixxxerCT

FNG
I've debated the same thing, currently own the 6900 and I plan on keeping it. I was annoyed by the excess fabric of outer baffle pockets, but practically once you put anything in the main bag, that annoyance goes away. I like to run all my rain gear in one side pocket to keep it easily accessible and also away from other gear if it's wet.

The reason I debate switching to 5900 is more the center zip and access to bag. Sure you can full zip, but it doesn't open super large when sides are under compression. Both would be great bags, true first world problems.

I bought the talus 6900 at the start of the year for a stone sheep/elk hunt in northern BC this fall. When I ordered the pack I looked at a bunch of the smaller SG packs, thinking that I would need to have the smaller bag for day hunts, as the 6900 would be too bulky. So far I’ve used it through spring bear season (day hunts). I found that with less gear in the bag the hydro lid sagged down quite a bit so I removed it until an overnight trip. My large vortex spotter fits in the one side pouch, and the other side can fit my rain gear. After using the 6900 for 10+ day hunts/hikes, I would never buy a smaller pack. The side pouches below the zipper pockets for the bottom of your poles, tripod, rifle or water bottle are the perfect size (not too small). 3569F7CA-76BA-49A2-A0AD-9FD13550CA0C.jpeg

In reality the 5900 bag is really only 5400ci as the detachable lid is 500ci.
True. But it looks odd and doesn’t close up as well without the lid on it when it’s expanded all the way up instead of buckled up for bivy mode. IMO there’s no reason not to put the lid on if you have the pack fully expanded.