Stone glacier 5900

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all

I have been research packs a lot and I think I’m going with SG. I really want the 5900 I prefer the layout mostly be a day pack but I’m worried it maybe to small for a 7-8 day hunt. I don’t like to tie a bunch of stuff outside of the pack. Thanks for any tips

md126

WKR
I think you could get 7-8 days out of it if you pack carefully and use the load shelf for shelter/food/camp, etc..

Late season would be more challenging but doable

sr80

WKR
Its definitely do able without using the load shelf for food/gear going in. Coming out with meat you will need the load shelf though.

gleason51

Lil-Rokslider
The longest trip I’ve used mine for was 8 days. And I didn’t skimp on my food because it was going to be a brutal hunt. I strapped my tent to the outside, but the bag itself wasn’t actually jam packed full. Could have gotten another 1-2 days worth of food in it. And for day trips it compresses down to nothing. The 5900 is by far my favorite pack setup I’ve used.

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I ordered a sky 5900. I hope I made the right decision. If it’s to small I can put tent on outside or buy there access bag

Silver

FNG
I think you'll be fine. I've got the same pack and was able to get 8 days worth of food and camp for a sheep hunt without anything hanging outside. Definitely the best bag I've used to date.

NoWiser

WKR
I could very easily do 7-8 days with my 5900. You made a good choice, it's a great pack.

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks that what I wanted to hear. I did a 10 day with my Marshall witch is 6400ci. Has anyone with lightweight gear used it for a 10
Day?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
The 5900 is a great pack, I have done 7 days out of it in Aug/September. I typically end up using the 6900 for trips longer than 5 days though. It seems a lot bigger for only a 4oz weight penalty but when put into bivy mode, it feels no larger than the 5900 in the same. 7+ days with the 5900 is definitely doable utilizing the load shelf, but if I could only have one i'd go with the 6900.

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I was going to buy the 6900 I just didn’t want the extra width of the bag when in day mode I just like the layout of the 5900 better. That being said im slightly worried about capacity but I guess I will just have to be more light weight gear if needed

I love the 5900, fantastic for longer trips and for day hunting.

What I've found for longer trips is I can get ~5 days worth of food in the lid, any extra I can just put in a dry bag on the load shelf. Eat the food in the load shelf first and after 2-3 days of a 7-8 day hunt you've regained your load shelf space.

The 5900 REALLY helps you streamline your gear list too, I pack about 1/2 the clothes I used to and I'm 2x as comfortable now that I've got a system relatively dialed in. Cut out 1/2 the unnecessary survival and medical supplies as well.

Load shelf is a great tool, I've used it for all sorts of creative things both on the way in and the way out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ya I was going to buy the 6900 I just didn’t want the extra width of the bag when in day mode I just like the layout of the 5900 better. That being said im slightly worried about capacity but I guess I will just have to be more light weight gear if needed

I used a 3300 several times for 3-4 day trips. I think I could stretch it to 7 days with a 5900 since I’d have 2600ci to add 3-4 days of food (no other gear would really change). I ended up getting the 7900 though just to be sure. It packs down tight for day use, better than other packs that size I’ve used.