Stone Glacier 6900 or 5900?

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I think I've finally decided to go with a Stone Glacier Sky talus pack. I'm just wondering if I should go with 6900 or 5900. There's not a significant weight difference and I've seen people on here say bigger is better if you're not sure. Mainly I'll need the space for family backcountry camping trips (I'm sure I'll end up with kids' stuff and extra odds and ends we "need") but will use it for hunting deer and elk each fall. Any advise?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks! What kind/lengths of trips do you plan on doing with your 7900?

I’m hoping to get some 10+ day trips this next season. Normally my long trips are a week or so. I had the solo 3300 and was able to get 3-4 days out of it, but that was pushing it for me. I figure between the 6900 and 7900, the weight difference is a wash so I may as well have a bit more space. Also, I do some backpack trips with my wife in the summers, I carry a bit of her stuff. I’ve been using a kifaru fulcrum but it’s strappy and weighs about 2.5lbs more than a stone glacier 7900 and frame.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 6900 ST, and it cinches down very tight for day pack use. Probably overkill for your stated use...but at the same time, if you ever do see yourself wanting to take a longer trip, it's nice to know you have that capability and won't have to spend money on a bigger bag.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'd go with the 6900 to play it safe. Down the road if you feel the need for a smaller bag, you can always add one to your collection (I've now got a 5900, Solo and Serac).

The other option is to go 5900 and if you need more volume, add a Access bag (900 cubic inches).

The good thing is you can't really go wrong :D

Block

WKR
Iv been a Kifaru guy but just bought the 6900 for my longer hunts. So far
Love it.. I’m pretty sure it’s the same bag as the 5900 just has the extra side pockets? Which are awesome. Go 6900! I take the lid off mine for day hunts or anything so far and it looks a lot better like that and is easier to access everything, so that pretty much turns the 6900 into a 5900 with side pockets if you don’t need the extra space

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have both. Since getting the 6900 I have not used my 5900. With everything cinched down in bivy mode there isn’t much difference in size but when you need the extra space, the 6900 is really nice.

22lr

WKR
For family trips, go bigger.

I was able to get a 10 day trip packed into my Sky Archer 6400, with tripod and sleeping pad strapped to the outside of the bag (which worked great). You just need to be very deliberate for that kind of trip in a 5900 (mine was a 2 person trip, so there was some sharing of common items, solo it would be harder, but not impossible by any means). Also, that was in Aug, and I didn't need heavy puffys or anything like that. You just need to be very deliberate and utilize every storage option you have (cargo pockets, bag straps).

Bottom Line, if pulling double duty as a family camping pack, go bigger. Family camping trips are not the time to run out of room. But as a hunting bag, the smaller size will force you to become very deliberate about what gear you take, which isn't really a bad thing.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ended up getting the 7900, I was on the fence between the 6900 and the 7900, I figured I’d just roll the dice and go with the 7900. So far I really like it. Looking forward to really using it next season.

OP
Hoosker Doo

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input everyone!

I ended up finding a 6900 on the classifieds here for a pretty good deal and I went for it. So far I'm very impressed. When it's compressed and in bivvy mode it's very compact and I don't notice the extra fabric at all. With it compressed down it's really almost the size of my Mystery Ranch scapegoat 35, but much more functional for weapon and meat carrying. I got it adjusted to my torso and have stuffed it full and collapsed it back down a few times to get used to the process and have put things in the load shelf in both states. Man this is a cool pack. It seems perfect for anything I might do. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a day pack.

Last edited: