Stone Glacier 6900 or 5900???

Looking for some advice on pack size..... I have narrowed my pack decision down to the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 5900 or 6900. Through a ton of research, spreadsheets with cost vs weight comparisons etc...... I have at least narrowed it down this far.

This will be my first hunting pack designed for backpack hunting, and I am just not sure if I need/want the extra room. I have been hunting for several years now, but want to get into back pack hunting this year, and even more in the future. So, please..... any advice from those of you that have experience that would help me, I would love to hear it.

Thank you in advance for the words of wisdom :cool:

Tim

While I dont have experience with either of those packs, I went through the same decision not long ago. I went with the larger of the two based on how well it compressed and the fact that the weight difference was minimal. Now that I've put the larger pack through it's paces I'm definitely glad I went that route. For backpacking it didnt matter much, but when trying to load up elk quarters or an entire boned out mule deer buck and other akward loads the space was nice.

That said, SG uses a load shelf, so it might not be much of a difference to you. I think either pack that has the layout you want would suit you well.

Garrett.

FNG
I picked up the sg 5900 with the xcurve frame a couple months ago and have been on two several day trips with it so far. I really like the layout of the bag and the horse shoe zipper of the 5900. It fits my needs well but if a guy was doing 10 days or packed excessive gear it might run a little on the small side.

sr80

WKR
basically you just need to decide which kind of outer pocket/access you prefer, the panel shaped opening like the 5900, or a center zip like the 6900. And i suppose how long and how much gear you need to bring in. I use my 6900 for day trips 90% of the time, and when it cinched up and the straps are in their webbing keepers you would never know its a 6900ci pack. I run mine in bivy mode with the lid and its perfect for me

OP
B
Thanks for the input guys! I think that I am leaning towards the 6900 for the "just in case" extra room. I think I like the side pockets, and it looks easier to strap a bow to it when I do bow hunt. I don't always bow hunt, but I do like to sometimes....... But I do like the horseshoe zipper on the 5900!!!! Still leaning 6900 by a slight margin

OP
B
I picked up the sg 5900 with the xcurve frame a couple months ago and have been on two several day trips with it so far. I really like the layout of the bag and the horse shoe zipper of the 5900. It fits my needs well but if a guy was doing 10 days or packed excessive gear it might run a little on the small side.

Do you ever strap a bow to the 5900? Do you think that the center spotting scope pocket would make that difficult?

Thanks

Garrett.

FNG
Strapping a bow to the front is no problem. The compression straps are sewn on each side of the horse shoe zipper so when you unstrap your bow you still have compression on the sides of the pack. I don't put a spotter in the front pocket though, I think I'm going to get the spotting scope pocket accessory for the spotter.

Benjblt

WKR
I just went through the same thing and would echo what these guys are saying. I think it comes down to pocket layout and zipper style. If I'm not mistaken, and I might be, the 6900 without the two side pockets would be similar ci to the 5900. I got the 6900 and really like it so far. I just got it though and haven't put it through the paces.

I would say that the horse shoe zipper of the 5900 would be nice but the center zip isn't too bad either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
B
Ok I did it!!!! I bought the X-Curve frame and 6900 today. I'm sure I'll like it. Going from a Badlands 2200, it's a big step!

Thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my sky talus 6900 for a couple months now and you won't regret it! love that pack. Fits great and goes small when needed and can get very large too. I had a badlands superday I was going to still use for day hunts but will never use it again.