Stone glacier approach 1800?

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a pack for day hunting but that can also haul a decent amount of meat if I get way back in some public land. I’m looking at the SG approach 1800 right now, anyone have it that can give their thoughts on how they like it? Will it hold spotting scope, tripod, some extra rain gear/ insulation layers, some other odds and ends, and be able to strap a bow to the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I am also looking at the exo k3 1800

CM

WKR
I had a Serac 1700 and it was WAY too small to pack my spotter (Swarovski 65 STM) and day hunting stuff, I would assume the Approach 1800 is similar in size. I like to carry my tripod in the bag, so I might have been able to fit everything if I had moved it outside, I think it would have still been pretty tight though. I moved up to the Solo 3300 for day hunting and have been much happier.

I always use the load shelf to carry meat, so that doesn't take up any space inside the bag.

SLM

FNG
Depending on what your insulation layers are, it can be done. I used the approach a couple years but switched the bag to the Avail. I liked the spotting scope and tripod pocket but found getting in and out of the bag kind of a pain. Trying the 22 mag now and it’s working out well.

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve only test loaded my approach but feel
Like itd handle it fine. That being said I got a 3600 solo to go with it and think it’s the better all around choice. You can piggy back the approach to it and then really have a flexible set up for single and longer trips.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have an 1800 and use it for exactly as you describe. Things get a bit tight with a spotter and tripod, but it’s perfect without. The Solo is probably better if you lean towards the side of carrying more stuff than less. That used to be me, but now I try to go the other direction. I do use the load sling and stuff things like puffy jackets and soft items in between bag and frame. And it hauls well too. I’ve carried out many quartered small deer and hogs in one trip with it. You’ll want to bone a bigger muley if you want to make it in one trip.

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Approach and I’d say go up and get the solo. The thing about these bags is they compress down so we’ll that something like the solo at 3600 cu in doesn’t feel like it when it’s all buttoned up. I bought the Approach first and the solo later on and now I run the Approach attached to the solo. It works I just wished I would’ve gone with a bigger bag rather than run the two.

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Approach and I’d say go up and get the solo. The thing about these bags is they compress down so we’ll that something like the solo at 3600 cu in doesn’t feel like it when it’s all buttoned up. I bought the Approach first and the solo later on and now I run the Approach attached to the solo. It works I just wished I would’ve gone with a bigger bag rather than run the two.

To add the this point. I would rather have something like the solo and the 5900 than the approach and 5900. The approach just fills up so fast. You better count your ounces and only take what you need. Like the poster above said.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Regardless which bag I'm using with my SG, a dry bag filled with whatever fits nicely between the frame and the bag if you need more room for stuff.

I think the Approach can do what you’re asking of it.

This weekend was my first with it but I went on an overnight. Put the bag pad tent (overnight gear) in their dry bag in the load shelf. Into the bag went the food, Jetboil, water filter kit, puffy, and little bag with the randoms. Room to spare. Attached to the outside was the tripod and trekking poles. And the scope pocket fits my Meopta 80mm angled just fine. I think you could put the tripod on the side and strap the bow to the back.

But take the above with a grain of salt: I used to do 7 day elk hunts with a 3000 ci bag. I have a special ability to Tetris shit together inside a pack. If money weren’t an issue the Avail might be better for you.

I am looking for a pack for day hunting but that can also haul a decent amount of meat if I get way back in some public land. I’m looking at the SG approach 1800 right now, anyone have it that can give their thoughts on how they like it? Will it hold spotting scope, tripod, some extra rain gear/ insulation layers, some other odds and ends, and be able to strap a bow to the back?

I’ve had one for several years now and use it exclusively for all my day trips/hikes. The things you list are exactly what the Approach was made for.

Unoboats

WKR
I’d say you’ll have a hard time hauling all of that gear unless you use the meat shelf on the SG. I’d consider the Avail or solo.
I have the Avail but bought the x-curve frame to put it on. Much better ride on your back with loads over 25 lbs. plus I have the dry bag that fits between bag and frame on the load shelf.

If you already have or will invest in a SG frame, I suggest going to a bag that you know will be more than enough since there's such a small difference in weight. I've had the Avail and it could work but there will be limitations. And if carrying out a load on the shelf, I'd want more 'craddle' from a bigger bag. I suggest the Kiowa, Solo, or Evo.

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
I like my approach pack for day hunting, I imagine if you’re goin multiple days a bigger bag would be more suitable though