Stone Glacier Avail...Anyone run this as a daypack on the Evo/XCurve?

I am continuing my research on finding the right pack for me. I like the configuration and set up of the avail pack. It seems like it would make a great multi-use daypack for eastern stand/saddle hunting, travel, etc. I'm wondering though at how it would do as a mountain west backpack to work for a daypack/overnighter strapped to an Xcurve or Evo frame. Does anyone run their avail on one of the frames? If so how is it working for you?
The only thing I would like to be a little different is the ability to remove the internal framesheet from the avail, and also have a second face compression strap to face carry a bow on top of the "web" compression pocket on the back of the pack. I think it could be rigged up with some quick connect buckles. to have a second strap to secure a bow or rifle in a face carry.

OP
MeatSeaker
Here’s where I’d want that face compression to be free from that web pocket

Attachments

• F34E53DE-BE61-4612-A1D1-8B8B42B255A7.jpeg
    F34E53DE-BE61-4612-A1D1-8B8B42B255A7.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 106
I ran an avail on my xcurve for a little while, but it just wasn't quite big enough for me. I went back to a Kuiu 1850 pack (which is larger than the avail, so someone's tape measure is wrong) on my xcurve for my daypack.

As a stand-alone backpack, the avail is awesome, I just wish it was a little bigger. The internal frame is removable as well. And you should be able to run another compression strap on the front

OP
MeatSeaker
I ran an avail on my xcurve for a little while, but it just wasn't quite big enough for me. I went back to a Kuiu 1850 pack (which is larger than the avail, so someone's tape measure is wrong) on my xcurve for my daypack.

As a stand-alone backpack, the avail is awesome, I just wish it was a little bigger. The internal frame is removable as well. And you should be able to run another compression strap on the front
Do you find its easy to secure the kuiu pack on the Xcurve? Do the straps generally run in the same locations? I feel like the SG frame, waist belt, and load shelf appear to be the best there is. I’d prefer a little more organization in their midsize bags though.

Do you find its easy to secure the kuiu pack on the Xcurve? Do the straps generally run in the same locations? I feel like the SG frame, waist belt, and load shelf appear to be the best there is. I’d prefer a little more organization in their midsize bags though.

The 1850 connects nicely to the x curve because it connects to the kuiu frame almost exactly the same way. The other kuiu bags arent nearly as convenient to connect to the x curve because of the way they attach to the kuiu frame (sleeves that slide over the top of the frame tabs).

There are a few modifications that have to be made to the bag as far as buckle swapping, but it works great. I can post/send pics if you would like.

WCgv6wD.jpg

Step 1 was to cut the 2 buckles off the back of the bag and add 2 split-bar female buckles (tan). I then added male buckles to the 1" straps on the bottom of the frame. Those two straps connect together and keep the bag pulled down and tight.

lZGAumS.jpg

G7uQR0M.jpg

I used little gate-keeper clips on the ends of those straps then to connect to the loops on the front bottom of the bag. You could use ladder locks there also, but the gate keepers quick release if I want to open them up to attach something under my bag.

IVMqiVV.jpg

Next step was to cut the buckles off the top of the bag and switch them to ladder locks (black). Normally I would've used a split-bar ladder lock in this situation, but since I'm connecting 1" buckles to 3/4" webbing, the ladder locks that are split from the factory are a little sloppy, so I took regular ladder locks and cut a small groove in the middle of the bar so that there is much less of a chance of it sliding off.

BCbjKgH.jpg

Last step was to change out the 2 buckles on one side of the frame's compression straps to a female buckle so that the two compression straps connect to each other. String them through the loops on the bag and connect them and you are good to go.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve messed with kuiu bags on SG frames as well. Cornfedkiller is right about the 1850 fitting well vs the bigger bags. An old ultra 1800 fit great, ultra 4000 (designed to fit over the top of the frame) worked but was sloppy due to not fitting over the frame.

I also had an avail pack for about a week. I never put it on my frame. It’s a great design but no room, imagine an eight bedroom house but it’s only 1500 square feet. Individual pockets were ok but buldged into the next. My beef with all Sg bags is water storage, put a bladder in the avail and it’s about out of room. I really wish SG would combine the solo (3300ci) with the utility of the avail, that would be a great bag.

I really think @cornfedkiller made the best of both with his setup. Pretty sure he just picked up a set of ultra shoulder straps to run his 1850 with out the xcurve.

OP
MeatSeaker
I agree I wish their 3300-3600 bags came with a little more organization. I get the minimalist ultralight idea of some of their packs but it would be nice to have the option and not have to jump up to the sky 5900 to get any pockets.
otherwise it feels like you’re paying top dollar for a cordura duffel that happens to ride on the best frame and suspension.

Wright406

WKR
I have used the Avail for antelope archery hunting and that's about it. Currently I use it as my go-bag for deployment I'm on. I will agree that it is smaller than expected. 2 small interior pockets are nice and the outside pocket is decent. I wouldnt use it for a overnight pack honestly. But for a tree stand/ day hunts/ day hike pack it works for me. I believe they have an online video of how to attach it to the XCurve.

Attachments

• DSC05951.jpg
    DSC05951.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 92

wrjam3

FNG
Pretty much the same experience. Love the bag by itself for its intended purpose. It's an awesome day pack. Kind of a pain in the butt to wrestle it onto an Xcurve, and then once it's on, I feel like it's not worth the hassle. My Sky 5900 packs down small enough when it's compressed that I don't feel it's any more of an imposition to just leave that on the frame and lug it around even though it's a larger bag. Pretty much just keep them separate now and if the Avail doesn't cut it, I just use the 5900.

OP
MeatSeaker
Pretty much the same experience. Love the bag by itself for its intended purpose. It's an awesome day pack. Kind of a pain in the butt to wrestle it onto an Xcurve, and then once it's on, I feel like it's not worth the hassle. My Sky 5900 packs down small enough when it's compressed that I don't feel it's any more of an imposition to just leave that on the frame and lug it around even though it's a larger bag. Pretty much just keep them separate now and if the Avail doesn't cut it, I just use the 5900.
I’ve been finding that these larger packs in bivy mode without lid can compress down fairly well for day hunts. I think the sky 5900 without the lid seems like a nice set up for an all purpose backcountry hunting pack. I like the pocket layout and horseshoe zip vs their other pack designs. I may end up just going with a bigger do all pack. I’m surprised SG doesn’t have a sky 29-3900.

wrjam3

FNG
I think you hit the nail on the head. If you blindfolded me and had me put the pack on not knowing what bag was on the frame, I think I would have a hard time telling you which it was. You really aren't giving anything up size/weight wise once you cinch it all down.

I will say, I've been extremely happy with my Sky 5900. The access is super nice, especially if you have a system to how you pack everything up. The horseshoe zip combined with access through the top lets you get to whatever you want quickly and easily. The lid is a bonus even if you don't need the extra space as it's a nice quick access compartment in addition to the front pocket. Definitely a very capable and versatile pack. Can't recommend it enough.

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Following this - im attracted to the avail because i could run it without the frame.

I agree with everything above. I was looking at the 5900, but you have to buy it with the generic lid - i think it would be sweet to use the hydro lid. Then you've got your bladder, and you can attach shoulder straps and run just the lid as a scouting pack

Nhaupt

FNG
I have the Kiowa 3200 on an xcurve frame. I feel like it gives me more room than the avail, but still is daypack size. I’m taking it out for a 3 day backpack elk hunt this year, and it’s a bit tight honestly. I wish I had just gone for the 5900 to start with, it compresses down to daypack size fine and would allow a bit more space for overnight backpack trips. Good bag, but a bit of an awkward in between size.

3_Gingers

FNG
Had an avail on an xcurve all last year for deer season. It held enough kit for an overnight trip in late November in Alberta, wouldn't push it past 36-48 hrs (my opinion). The frame paid dividends moving meat in knee deep snow from the the bottom of brushed in draws. Is it perfect size? No, but its another solution for tool kit.

mattflint

FNG
I currently use an avail on I think the krux. Been a good day pack/overnight pack
Think Ill end up throwing a larger bag on for next year.

Lowg08

WKR
I use that now for saddle hunting and day hunting eastern mountain whitetail. I literally just got through packing it for youth day tomorrow this has all our food water and extra clothes with 2 gobbler lounges on each side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 50

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an Avail (and a Solo and a 5900). I agree the Avail is too small for an overnighter (well maybe a very, very bare bones one), but in fairness wasn't really designed for that.

For 2-3 day fast/light trips I use the Solo, if it's colder weather (bulkier clothing and bag) or longer trips the 5900.

The Avail obviously has advantages in that in can be used on it's own for day pack, travel bag, etc