Stone Glacier Avail Capabilities

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to WY for a short backpacking trip this summer. I'm from PA so it's a long drive and space in the car is precious. I have an Alps Commander pack that I was gifted and it's fine for backpacking trips, but it's huge and takes up too much room.

I've been wanting to get a Stone Glacier Avail 2200 for years now. For work, hunting, skiing, hiking, and everything in between. I've heard it'll handle decently heavy loads as well.

You think the Avail could work as an overnight pack or even a 2 nighter? Obviously I'd have to adjust how much I pack. I'd rather use it because it would take up way less room in the Jeep and could be used on day hikes as well. But is it possible? And is it going to be wise to even attempt it?

I could go another route on a pack but I like the Avail and also want to stick with American made.

You might could get away with it if you strap your bulkiest stuff to the outside. It won’t be ideal. I use the SG 3300 for short trips like that and I would be hard pressed to go smaller. One nighter and 10 nighters are the same for me, only difference is food.

oldhorse

WKR
Unless you have very compact and ultralight gear, it's going to be very difficult to push the Avail into the overnight role. I used one for about a year as my all-day pack. It performed well in that role. Pair it up with an X curve frame, dry bag, and you are good to go. I know you are limited on space in your vehicle, but it might be something to consider.

TN2shot07

WKR
I currently run an avail without a frame and am looking to upgrade this season for more space (probably going exo). As said above it’d be hard to use as an overnight bag without a frame using some kind of dry bag. It’s an awesome daypack though, very high quality.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
The Avail was my first hunting pack for over a year before I got into backpacking, and I tried several times to try to get my ultralight tent/pad/quilt in there. There was no way it would fit. I sold it and bought a Sky Archer 6400, and now I have way too much space.