Stone glacier bag recommendation

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sky talus 6900 that I won at a rmef banquet. I love the frame but the bag is way too big for my hunting style and I hate that there is no organization in it. I used to use a mystery ranch sawtooth and that was plenty big for me. I am a day hunter and I’m more worried about my bag being able to haul out quarters than lots of gear. I want to be able to haul a 3L water bladder, game bags/kill kit stuff and a few safety items and that’s about it. The sawtooth 45 I used to run had lots more room than what I needed. I was looking at the approach 2800 and avail 2200 (attached to x curve frame) but they have lots of other options on the smaller end as well (solo, r3, etc). Any input would be appreciated. Would also be fine with another brand as long as it fit the frame easily(I know this doesn’t always work).

I’d go with the evo 3300. Great setup for day hunts and you can stretch a 3 day trip out of it if you want to as well. Get done of there slide out pockets for organization

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Simplicity is kind of SGs thing, so none of their models have a ton of internal organization/pockets. I would go with the 3300 as well with a few swing out pockets and pull outs for organization. The Avail probably has the most amount of organization for a SG bag.

deep_al

FNG
I have a SG sky archer and was in the same boat as you last summer. The 6400 bag was just to big for my plans last fall which was mainly day hunting.

Surprisingly, the Kifaru 22mag fits like a glove on the SG Xcurve frame. There are a couple extra straps on it that I might cut off, but they didn't get in the way so I just rolled them up. I had to add a couple "quick attach tensionlocks" for the load lifters when you use the SG meat self, but those are $1.50 each.

My brother was using a SG R3 bag and it was a little bigger than the 22Mag, but the 22Mag has more built in organization.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

3300 if you don't use a big spotter, 3600 if you do. Add a camp pocket or two.

The Avail is nice if you can stand to go that small...I use one as a travel bag, river floating bag, etc.

I think the Approach 2800 is heavy for the size compared to the 3300/3600. The plus side being the scope is a lot easier to get in and out.

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
The approach 2800 will have a little more of the organization you are looking for. It has 2 integral internal pockets, and then you could add chamber or swing out pockets like their other packs. It also has more than enough internal space to carry day hunting stuff. The 2800 is a really good upgrade from their previous approach model.

I'll go against the grain here and recommend the 5900 as I believe it's by far the most versatile bag in their lineup, and I'd wager their sales reflect that.

I'm a huge believer in having more than enough bag. especially if you're hunting later season where you'll be carrying bulky cold weather gear. In bivy mode it's 4,300 ci, has a front stash pocket, beavertail zipper into the main bag, and with a few camp/swingout pockets you'd have the level of organization you're looking for.

jlbethea

FNG
I have a SG sky archer and was in the same boat as you last summer. The 6400 bag was just to big for my plans last fall which was mainly day hunting.

Surprisingly, the Kifaru 22mag fits like a glove on the SG Xcurve frame. There are a couple extra straps on it that I might cut off, but they didn't get in the way so I just rolled them up. I had to add a couple "quick attach tensionlocks" for the load lifters when you use the SG meat self, but those are $1.50 each.

My brother was using a SG R3 bag and it was a little bigger than the 22Mag, but the 22Mag has more built in organization.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Very cool that you were able to mix up brands like that. I'm looking into a SG 40/56 and it's good to know that a Kif 22Mag will be a possible option with the SG frame.

Lowg08

WKR
I'll go against the grain here and recommend the 5900 as I believe it's by far the most versatile bag in their lineup, and I'd wager their sales reflect that.

I'm a huge believer in having more than enough bag. especially if you're hunting later season where you'll be carrying bulky cold weather gear. In bivy mode it's 4,300 ci, has a front stash pocket, beavertail zipper into the main bag, and with a few camp/swingout pockets you'd have the level of organization you're looking for.
Im going to agree. I have went to my 5900 for day trips to multi day. Compressed down in bivy mode and it’s 4300. Im sure at full
Compression is much smaller. It’s an awesome bag.

Kotaman

WKR
I’m in the 5900 camp. Very versatile setup. Works great as a day pack and expands for a load. I sold my small SG bags in favor of the 5900.

Have hunted with the older 3300 for years and like it. Simple and to the point. If you are tall and hunt areas with thick brush you may not like how you get constantly hung up on branches. I'm probably just clumsy. Tried the avail 2200. The avail is fine and hunted Aug - Nov with it on day hunts on an x-curve and doesn't get caught really every if you rig it right. Seems like a lot of folks love that pack but will sell it soon for a few reasons, mostly it doesn't fit me off the xcurve and need a daypack that size. As a brand the quality is excellent on both packs.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for all the replies. I got a good deal on a solo and went with that.