Stone Glacier bino harness

Titan_Bow

WKR
Was in the local Scheels today and was looking at this thing. I’ve been using a marsupial gear harness the last few years and it’s not bad, but I hate the way the range finder sags off the side.
Looking at the SG and was shocked at the lid on both the bino harness and rangefinder pouch was loud Velcro! I know with the Marsupial, you have to be careful not to let the magnets slap closed, that’s cost me once before. Pretty sure I would pass on the Stone Glacier since I HATE Velcro on my hunting gear. BUT, am I missing something here? How do you guys that have this harness hunt with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah the velcro is only for inital setup then not touched. Watch their youtube video on it and you’ll understand it better.

Last edited:

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
Was in the local Scheels today and was looking at this thing. I’ve been using a marsupial gear harness the last few years and it’s not bad, but I hate the way the range finder sags off the side.
Looking at the SG and was shocked at the lid on both the bino harness and rangefinder pouch was loud Velcro! I know with the Marsupial, you have to be careful not to let the magnets slap closed, that’s cost me once before. Pretty sure I would pass on the Stone Glacier since I HATE Velcro on my hunting gear. BUT, am I missing something here? How do you guys that have this harness hunt with it?

You didn't look it over real close did you

bmejia

FNG
I have both and if you think the Marsupial RF is limp, the SG is worse. I am a big fan of SG products but the velcro attachment of the RF pouch is not great. Both are great quality though so it will come down to some personal preferences. The SG is lighter weight and hasn't failed me. The Marsupial feels solid & is comfortable, the weight is not noticeable to me but you have to be cautious of the magnet "snap".

If I could only own one it would be the Marsupial but doubt one would give me more or less opportunities at game than the other.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
You didn't look it over real close did you

No I didn’t. I was just casually shopping and kind of shut down at the sight of Velcro LOL. Good to know that’s not how they work though. Like I said, I am not terribly unhappy with my marsupial rig, I just hate how the rangefinder sits on it and droops. Especially a big rangefinder like my maven

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
No I didn’t. I was just casually shopping and kind of shut down at the sight of Velcro LOL. Good to know that’s not how they work though. Like I said, I am not terribly unhappy with my marsupial rig, I just hate how the rangefinder sits on it and droops. Especially a big rangefinder like my maven

I've ran the sitka ones only, the new one I like the modularity but straps suck ass and make the fit uncomfortable. I like SG and was going to try one but had heard mixed reviews. Been leaning towards marsupial or T&k

the velcro is certainly not an issue.... there are a couple other things i don't like at all about the SG,, enough i gave mine away, but they aren't far from having a good harness.

the clips at the top of the harness suck, they limit how high your binos can be, and they slip with heavy binos.

the biggest deal breaker to me is how much you feel the weight of the binos... it's kind of like packs, being light is useless if it doesn't carry well with anything in it.... might be cool picking it up at the store, but add binos and it feels heavier than the heaviest harness made.

the SG was a letdown to me, but the velcro had nothing to do with that

I will say, I’ve been using the SG harness for a couple of months and I have no complaints - perhaps if I had a heavier set of binos my tune might change but I think if you’re running 10x42s the weight is certainly not noticeable. Furthermore, there is a great deal of adjustability from the straps that should keep them tight to the chest - it did take me a little bit of finessing to get it right, but once I did, it has been fantastic since.

I took the harness off my FHF harness and put it on the SG and now the SG is about perfect. Sits higher and like the FHF harness better where there is no panel in the back.

I took the harness off my FHF harness and put it on the SG and now the SG is about perfect. Sits higher and like the FHF harness better where there is no panel in the back.
that's a good idea, i could see that making it a good harness... i like the design besides the harness

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I kinda like the look/function of this! I want to try one of these. All I’ve ever had is a Marsupial and I have no issues with it. But I like these features. Thanks for linking the video.

22lr

WKR
The key to enjoying a good bino harness is to go from the stock Vortex basic harness to the SG. It will make it feel like your rocking the most Gucci gear of all time!

Ya the range finder pouch is a little weak/droopy... but, its been working for me and I've never not been able to grab or stow my finder with one hand so I live with it. I think I'd prefer a pouch that just had a built in range finder pocket and say screw it to the add on pouches. But im also cheap so since I have the SG one already I most likely wouldn't even buy a new one that had it....

rm06

WKR
I briefly owned the SG bino harness w/ rangefinder, I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't make it work. The FHF and Marsupial make the best harnesses, IMHO, just wide straps and auto locking buckles.

I'm embarrassed to say the Marsupial range finder pouch was problematic for me as well until I found out how to correctly fasten it - you're probably way smarter than me and already have it figured out but it took me more than a couple of years of wearing it (and bitching about it) before I did.