Stone Glacier bought by Vista Outdoors

deadwolf

WKR
As one who appreciates their customer service, products, message, and the cottage brand that is SG, this is unfortunate to see in my eyes. I understand it from a business perspective, but don’t like it as the end user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
Oh man, I sure hope things don’t change much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
That’s unfortunate. I bought my pack from them this year and was willing to spend so much because it was a small independent company. Hope they keep production domestic

Mtnboy

WKR
Good for Kurt...makes me nervous about the future of the brand though.

I have an original Krux (one of the first 100 made) and a new XCurve I just got this year so I'm probably set for life on packs anyway I suppose.

Haven't bought any of their other gear/clothes, is it American made currently?

peterk123

WKR
That’s unfortunate. I bought my pack from them this year and was willing to spend so much because it was a small independent company. Hope they keep production domestic
Same here. Good for the owner but I do not see it as a positive for the consumer. Cannot see any upside to this one. I bought local so I could support local and to also have the local help me if I ever need a repair. Uggh.

Interesting to see how many companies Vista Outdoors actually owns. I didn’t know they owned CampChef. I just bought a Woodwind Wi-Fi 36 pellet grill. Hope they continue to make great products and this allows them to expand and grow for the better.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was under the impression that Kurt sold the business a couple of years ago, but stayed on in an advisory role.

Regardless who the previous owner is, being bought out by Vista is not good news :(

Poser

WKR
My thought is that they are looking to significantly expand their apparel offerings as packs tend to be more singular purchases. With that in mind, you need the capital to buy materials in massively large quantities and access to technical fabrics to compete in the marketplace. I’d imagine this is where a company like Vista fits into the equation.

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
I was under the impression that Kurt sold the business a couple of years ago, but stayed on in an advisory role.

Regardless who the previous owner is, being bought out by Vista is not good news :(
Having barely dipped my toe into pack hunting, I'm still rocking my old north face for the time being mostly truck camping. Due to all the positive threads on this forum from people such as yourself, I had my heart set on an SG pack, now I'm not so sure. Not because of who now owns them, just the simple fact of the change of hands and with that potential quality values that could change. Not that they will for sure.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Krux Evo frame for Christmas. Better hurry and get the pack I want before manufacturing goes overseas.