Stone Glacier Child Carrier

treillw

WKR
Now wouldn't that be something!

Has anybody rigged up their pack with a child carrier of some sort?

The wife and I will be packing a different kind of load here pretty soon. We were looking at carriers yesterday. $300 for a mediocre backpack. Shame that we both have top of the line SG packs sitting at home that can't be used.

Might be a cool product idea for them. You think they could sell a handful of them to people who already own the frames.

Any recommendations on another carrier that is decent and not super expensive?

Thanks!

Just sold our deuter kid comfort to another member on here as our kid outgrew it, but I had it rigged up to my SG frame and it worked real well.

There are several carriers (deuter, kelty, osprey, etc) you can buy used off ebay (or on here from time to time), and rig them rig them right to your frame.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I run and EXO and I have an Osprey Pocco for my girls. They all loved it. I normally just run the Osprey because i got it to fit me. Regardless, I have strapped it to my EXO frame. It makes it harder because the kid sits farther from your back. The straps plus the Osprey frame create a space.

I did one time see a guy packing out meat with his kid strapped to an EXO and I got inspired. I decided to strap a 50lb bag of concrete to the frame and then my kid over the top in her pack. It was about 80lbs. Pack felt good. I don’t do that often.

Sad to say I’d recommend finding a good kid pack and then just sell it when done.

The wife and I will be packing a different kind of load here pretty soon. We were looking at carriers yesterday. $300 for a mediocre backpack. Shame that we both have top of the line SG packs sitting at home that can't be used.

Might be a cool product idea for them. You think they could sell a handful of them to people who already own the frames.

Thanks!
The same question gets asked to Kifaru quite a bit but their response is that they are to busy doing what they are already doing, and that it's likely a legal / liability minefield so they aren't keen.
Alot of chaps rig up a cheap to mid range carrier to their kifaru frames though with some compassion straps, so you could try that with your SG frame.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
We're a big fan of the Osprey Poco. We started with the deuter kid comfort 1 then upgraded to the Poco. We sold it once our youngest was out of it. Now... a few years later have a foster toddler and we just bought a used Poco again. I attached ours to my kifaru frame with a grab it and as couple straps. Works great.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks!
Post in thread 'I want a Stone Glacier child carrier.' https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/i-want-a-stone-glacier-child-carrier.92617/post-905050

I couldn't stand the Poco. Minimal hip belt padding and limited to no load lifting capability (I'm 5' 7" and the frame wasn't tall enough to lift load off my shoulders). Piece of junk for the parent. Good for the kid though.

I couldn't stand the Poco. Minimal hip belt padding and limited to no load lifting capability (I'm 5' 7" and the frame wasn't tall enough to lift load off my shoulders). Piece of junk for the parent. Good for the kid though.
The storage compartment on the bottom is set up in a weird way too. I also dont like how the rain fly doesnt cover your kids legs at all. It has been a decent kid pack and my daughters loved it but there are definitely things I would improve.

tdot

WKR
I had my Poco on my Seek frame and my Kifaru frame. There's a ton of different methods to strap them together. A few times I also had the 3 year old standing on the Poco kick stand + holding on/ a safety strap around him. That's about as close as I've managed to simulating a sheep + camp packout.

The Poco really is just about the worst hip belt I've ever experienced, but it's fantastic for the kids.

I actually rolled up a sleeping pad and set it in my Kifaru Stryker and had my 2 year old sit on the rolled up pad bringing the pack around him to secure him in. Ive done multiple hikes like that and it carries fine for me and he is comfy.

Also have Deuter Kid carrier but let my wife use it for our littlest one.

Honestly the Kifaru Frame was more comfy for me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Deuter Kid Comfort Active can have the shoulder straps easily remove, which helps with strapping it to the frame. I cut the belt and lumbar padding off of mine as well. This pulls it in really tight against the frame.

The Deuter fits larger kids well. I also have an Osprey Poco. The Osprey fits small children better than the Deuter, but was hard to get my 3 year old in with winter cloths on.

My advice, get a good front pack and use that until the kid fits in the Deuter. They need good head control befor going in a pack anyway. Usually around 6 months, but will vary by a few months depending on the kid. The front pack can work up to about 2 years old. The front pack in this picture is a cheap one, but puts the kid a little further from your chest, good in hot weather.

For really little, use a Moby Wrap.
20220522_185612.jpg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Some photos to demonstrate.

Frame and stripped Deuter. Shelf is not needed,but I like the extra securityof using it.
20220616_103037.jpg20220616_130850.jpg20220616_130859.jpg

It is nice to be able to fould the carrierup tight for when they want to walk. The Merlin can be replaced with a full pack bag.20220616_140802.jpg

jhm2023

WKR
I called and asked Stone Glacier if they planned to make a child carrier that would attach to the xcurve frame. They more or less said no. My wife and I have tried the Osprey Poco AG plus and a few Deuter packs. The Osprey's suspension was terrible and hurt on long packs. Honestly, they all suck for one reason or another and are essentially just run of the mill hippy packs that have a kid seat. We ended up putting some silicon on the lumbar pad of one of the Deuter packs and that really helped it stay up on your hips. You really just have to pick the one you like the best. It's a turd sandwich or turd sandwich with mustard kind of situation.

sr80

WKR
dj9KE6v.jpg

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Poco isn’t bad when they are small. It’s not the most comfortable. When they get bigger (30+lbs), I’ve been having my son just stand in the SG bag and hang on to my neck. Just did 3+ miles on rocky beach with the kiowa, was pretty comfortable.
B5DB7983-413F-4488-8C82-DAFE2A5BF699.jpeg
260FA7CD-D85A-4692-BB66-F13AC8E72AA4.jpeg

My wife has logged hundreds of miles packing kids. Possibly thousands. And I've done a few myself. When they are small, the various wraps and soft packs work better. Babies up to toddles do great essentially in direct contact with your body and it adds the least amount of extra weight. We packed kids up to 3+ yrs old that way up many many hills.

The bigger dedicated frame packs eventually become useful, but really not until 2 yrs old. The standard brands are awkward and uncomfortable, and we were happy to see the Osprey out the door when the last kid learned to hike. I've packed kids in my hunting packs also, but they really aren't designed for it, and it's a band-aid situation IMO.

Yk

Kaeo

FNG
Aloha gang -

Sorry to revive this topic but any advice on “rigging” an Deuter/Osprey/ect. to a SG frame? Is it more straightforward than I’m thinking - ie connecting buckles, locking slides? I’m assuming some minor surgery on the donor bag is necessary. Would love to justify an additional hunt and enjoy some daddy daughter time this fall by bringing my 2 yo.
Mahalo!