Stone Glacier ChilKoot Bag vs Kifaru Slick Bag

Ozzy841

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to pick up a new bag. Anyone tried both of these bags and found one to be better in terms of warmth, water resistance, durability etc.?

I’ve had both. 20F slick and 15F SG. Still have the SG. Sold the slick. The SG is definitely warmer, lighter, packs down far smaller, and I found the slick to be clammier. Only way I’d use the slick is if I was going to definitely be wet for days somewhere. SG supposedly handles some moisture just fine but I haven’t personally soaked or wetter mine out yet. I’ve seen enough demonstrations on how the SG handles moisture for it not to be a difference maker to me. Is it as good as climashield? Probably not, but the advantage is far narrower than it used to be so it’s hard to give up the weight savings, packability, and long life of down for a marginal increase in performance in wet conditions

OP
O

Ozzy841

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had both. 20F slick and 15F SG. Still have the SG. Sold the slick. The SG is definitely warmer, lighter, packs down far smaller, and I found the slick to be clammier. Only way I’d use the slick is if I was going to definitely be wet for days somewhere. SG supposedly handles some moisture just fine but I haven’t personally soaked or wetter mine out yet. I’ve seen enough demonstrations on how the SG handles moisture for it not to be a difference maker to me. Is it as good as climashield? Probably not, but the advantage is far narrower than it used to be so it’s hard to give up the weight savings, packability, and long life of down for a marginal increase in performance in wet conditions
Thanks for the feedback. The SG seems pretty appealing for sure.

I haven't had both.
I have the SG and really like it.

But they are kind of 2 completely different bags in my opinion.

The SG is a great all around bag, but you are giving up the ability to stay lofted if it gets wet, to save weight by going with down.

The Slick is a bomb proof weather option.
At the cost of weight.

So depends what your primary use is.
If its a chance of get wet the SG can more then handle it.
If most likely you're bag is to be wet go Slick.

The SG or Western mountaineering Badger are I believe the 2 most Middle of the road bags.

If your concerned with weight.
Or extreme use then you really need 2 bags.
One for good weather to save the most weight.
One for extreme weather.

I haven’t had the slick but have the Chilkoot 15 and love it. I got into it a couple nights in a row with damp clothes and woke up dry and warm. It can definitely handle light moisture with ease. Typical tent condensation and damp clothes are no problem.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The SG is a great all around bag, but you are giving up the ability to stay lofted if it gets wet, to save weight by going with down.

This is incorrect. The SG handles moisture just fine. 7 days straight of Kodiak storms and getting soaked all day every day.. not sure. But getting completely soaked and then getting in the bag with those soaked clothes- no problem. You can do this repeatedly and the bag and the bag dries out and keeps loft.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had the slick, actually I’ve had it 2 times and sold it 2 times. It’s a cool bag, stays warm
When it’s wet. Some people like the center zip, it’s not my first choice.

The biggest problem I have with them is how big they are when compressed, a slick bag is the size of 2 bags.

This is incorrect. The SG handles moisture just fine. 7 days straight of Kodiak storms and getting soaked all day every day.. not sure. But getting completely soaked and then getting in the bag with those soaked clothes- no problem. You can do this repeatedly and the bag and the bag dries out and keeps loft.
Incorrect while the SG bag may handle moisture just fine because of the water repellent down.
If down gets wet it will in fact loose loft.
And Eventually the water repellent in sure will fail.

My advice was to plan for the the bag thats suits the bulk of your use.

A 223 still technically is a weapon that probably won't fail but may not be the best selection based on my primary use.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Incorrect while the SG bag may handle moisture just fine because of the water repellent down.
If down gets wet it will in fact loose loft.
And Eventually the water repellent in sure will fail.

My advice was to plan for the the bag thats suits the bulk of your use.

A 223 still technically is a weapon that probably won't fail but may not be the best selection based on my primary use.

Ironic about the 223...

How many times of getting wet does it take for the water repellent to fail?

Ironic about the 223...

How many times of getting wet does it take for the water repellent to fail?
I'm not sure. The op gave no parameters for his use.
He may be hunting in south east Alaska for 100 days straight.
My suggestion was to select the offering that is generally the most use case.

The SG bag is great and I'm sure it holds up fine for most lower 48 cases.

But if I'm planning a 14 trip to southeast Alaska its probably not what I'd base my life on.

All I said was that each type of insulation has its strong and weak points. And you should select based on what is important to you.
Not that you were instantly die if you tried to spend 1 night wet in down.

If treated down was such a fair superior product all other insulation types would go out of business.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
But if I'm planning a 14 trip to southeast Alaska its probably not what I'd base my life on.

I agree with this completely. My issue is the statement or belief that the SG bag loses loft when wet. It does not. Or it does on the spots where you’re laying on it when soaked, but as soon as you move it lofts back up and dries quickly. This is not a guess. I’ve seen multiple SG bags do the rewaing drill several times apiece. In one of them the SG bags did significantly better than a US mil issued cold weather synthetic bag.

If treated down was such a fair superior product all other insulation types would go out of business.

How do you know it’s not? Everyone keeps repeating that all down sucks when it gets wet- even treated. Yet everyone is too scared to try it. I have no idea on other treated down products, but I can tell you after doing it repeatedly, SG’s down products shrugg off water without issue. Or at least anything short of SE Alaska rain for days. If you can get out of the rain in some way, SG’s down will loft back up and dry out with your body heat.

Bmore24

FNG
Looking to pick up a new bag. Anyone tried both of these bags and found one to be better in terms of warmth, water resistance, durability etc.?
Hello I was interested in your criterion .308 barrel but I'm a new member so couldn't reply to your ad. What payments do you accept and would you sell to me. I understand if not but I have been on ebay for over 20 years and 1000's of sales with 100% feedback. Lmk and thanks

Wizbang

FNG

This is a great review. I’ve been shopping the SG and the slick bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UA_Blake

FNG
I can share my experience with the slick bag. I had the wide 20 degree and it was awesome. I have used it down to 12 degrees and had no issues. I guess it’s all relative but to me even though other bags are lighter it’s still pretty light for the warmth it provides. It’s a great bag and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Also, Kifaru as a company is top notch. I have reached out to them many times for general camping/hunting advice and always got prompt well informed replies even if it’s about gear they do not sell such as cook stoves and footwear. I recently changed to a down quilt for no reason other than curiosity and if I had it to do over I would stick with the slick bag. For a guy that gets his one week a year flying in from far away where you can’t pick and choose the weather, it’s a no brainer as far as I’m concerned.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i used a sg 15 on a float hunt last year in northern b.c. Along side a river and in a single wall shelter, lots or rain and humidity from the river. Didnt once have a issue, wasnt scared about rubbing the bag against my tipi or getting in it wet. I couldbe wrong but people chant this stuff about down being no good in wet weather because they have heard it before, not saying down bags dont have their limits but the limits might be much higher than some think.

valtteri

FNG
i used a sg 15 on a float hunt last year in northern b.c. Along side a river and in a single wall shelter, lots or rain and humidity from the river. Didnt once have a issue, wasnt scared about rubbing the bag against my tipi or getting in it wet. I couldbe wrong but people chant this stuff about down being no good in wet weather because they have heard it before, not saying down bags dont have their limits but the limits might be much higher than some think.
I agree with you, but I have had an EE down quilt start to go flat after about five days of raining sleet. The quilt had treated down and stayed in my floorless shelter with liners and stove.

It started losing loft and even with the stove I couldnt stop it from starting to go flat. And at the end of the trip it was noticeably colder. Even so, there was no real risk of anything, I just wasnt as warm.

Then again I have a down bag with treated down and Pertex Quantum face fabric and I can just pour water on it and watch it slide off. It’s never lost any loft in any conditions, however it’s mainly used in freezing temps.

Maybe it’s not just the down but also the properties of the fabric that plays a role in the total sum of things.

I now have a synthetic Apex bag but it’s clammy, bulky and overall I’m not a fan of it. Thinking of getting a down bag with a high tech face fabric to replace it.