Stone Glacier Chilkoot Vs Kuiu Super Down Sleeping Bag Vs Western Mountaineering Badger??

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Does anyone have any real-world field testing comparisons with these two bags? After my last two weeks of sleeping in temps from 0-20 degrees, I need to upgrade to something a little warmer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I got nothing, I bought a WM Kodiak and called it good. Hear good things about the SG bags though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I got nothing, I bought a WM Kodiak and called it good. Hear good things about the SG bags though.

I have a WM Badger which I love..... But the wife always takes it:) I am looking to support a hunting company with this purchase. Both look like really good bags. Might have to have @robby denning get a Kuiu bag and do a head to head.

Last edited:
Can’t help you with a direct comparison but the SG bag is a roomier fit and the kuiu is a tighter fit. SG only comes in longer sizes so it ends up a few ounces heavier than it might have been in a standard 6’ length.
Ive only fondled the chilkoot at SGs headquarters and was really impressed. It’s a well thought out bag with great materials.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a WM Badger which I love..... But the wife always takes it:) I am looking to support a hunting company with this purchase. Both look like really good bags. Might have to have Robby get a Kuiu bag and do a head to head.
Understood on wanting to support a hunting company, but I know the WM bags are good ol made in the US of A. I'm not even sure who sews the SG bags. Anyone know? Just curious more than anything.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Understood on wanting to support a hunting company, but I know the WM bags are good ol made in the US of A. I'm not even sure who sews the SG bags. Anyone know? Just curious more than anything.

western mountaineering bags are the bomb. My badger MF is pretty much my favorite piece of gear, every time I use it I like it more. I just slept like a baby through a 20 degree night last night in it and was comfortable and warm the entire night, I’ve had other 20 degree bags that don’t even stay comfortable below 30. I’m planning on getting a WM sequoia as well, I love having a roomier bag and being warm. Ill never use anything but western mountaineering again.

This is overly sarcastic but please humor me.

Since you are adamant about supporting sponsors, buy the Stone Glacier. At $549 it is a better deal than the Kuiu at $700. The zero degree Kuiu bag has a comfort rating of 15 degrees and the Stone Glacier has a comfort rating of 14 degrees. This is in the upper end of the temperature range that you were cold in. You are wanting to spend $91.50 per degree of additional warmth over what you are currently running.

Since you will likely still be cold in the temperature range that you mentioned, your next step is to buy the Stone Glacier Grumman top and bottoms. It will set you back another $558. You can wear them inside or over the bag. This will get you close to being comfortable to around ten degrees; each degree of warmth now costs you $111.60. You're now up to around $1100 for a ten degree "multi-function sleep system".

$1100 and you are still only at the halfway mark of the temperature range that you were cold in. Maybe your "warm fuzzies" for supporting a sponsor will cover the remaining ten degrees.

I'll stop being sarcastic.

Others have provided excellent advice such as looking at other manufacturers that specialize in sleeping bags. WM has a stellar reputation for a reason. Their bags are top notch, made in the USA, temperature ratings are very conservative, and their pricing is extremely completive.

I needed a new bag this year and I looked at Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Western Mountaineering. The Kuiu is overpriced for what it offered. The Stone Glacier is a better bag for the money compared to the Kuiu. But for $50 more than the SG, I could buy the WM Antelope that is a lot warmer and better built.

tdot

WKR
Does anyone have any real-world field testing comparisons with these two bags? After my last two weeks of sleeping in temps from 0-20 degrees, I need to upgrade to something a little warmer.

Just outta curiosity, what was the sleep system that you were using that wasn't cutting it?

rodney482

WKR
My last late season hunt I used a 0 degree Kifaru slick (newest style)
I will be in Wy next week with the SG 0 degree and will report back.

Very interested in the comparison of those two bags Ryan and Robby. I bought a stone glacier 15 this year after doing my own spec comparisons and reading lots of reviews. Robbys review thread helped sway my decision and the price seemed a little better on the SG for what appears to be the better bag by the ratings but I would really like to see a head to head comparison. Probably long in the kuiu to make it fair.

Kotaman

WKR
Somebody do this head to head! I’m a big fan of WM as well and also have a Kifaru 0 that I start to freeze in at 30 degrees. I’m intrigued by the SG bag but don’t know that it can unseat my WM Sequoia. I can appreciate Ryan wanting to support a hunting company that supports this site and usually try to do so myself.

Cody_W

WKR

Ryan,

Check out Thermarest’s Hyperion line of bags. They’re 950 fill, super lightweight (I run the 32° which is under a pound actual weight with a puffy and are good well into the 20’s. They also have a 20° and 0° in the same line all under 30oz total. They’re roomy enough and I really have zero complaints.

This is overly sarcastic but please humor me.

Since you are adamant about supporting sponsors, buy the Stone Glacier. At $549 it is a better deal than the Kuiu at $700. The zero degree Kuiu bag has a comfort rating of 15 degrees and the Stone Glacier has a comfort rating of 14 degrees. This is in the upper end of the temperature range that you were cold in. You are wanting to spend $91.50 per degree of additional warmth over what you are currently running.

Since you will likely still be cold in the temperature range that you mentioned, your next step is to buy the Stone Glacier Grumman top and bottoms. It will set you back another $558. You can wear them inside or over the bag. This will get you close to being comfortable to around ten degrees; each degree of warmth now costs you $111.60. You're now up to around $1100 for a ten degree "multi-function sleep system".

$1100 and you are still only at the halfway mark of the temperature range that you were cold in. Maybe your "warm fuzzies" for supporting a sponsor will cover the remaining ten degrees.

I'll stop being sarcastic.

Others have provided excellent advice such as looking at other manufacturers that specialize in sleeping bags. WM has a stellar reputation for a reason. Their bags are top notch, made in the USA, temperature ratings are very conservative, and their pricing is extremely completive.

I needed a new bag this year and I looked at Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Western Mountaineering. The Kuiu is overpriced for what it offered. The Stone Glacier is a better bag for the money compared to the Kuiu. But for $50 more than the SG, I could buy the WM Antelope that is a lot warmer and better built.

Maybe you're aware and it's obvious but Ryan is an Owner of this site. Seems pretty reasonable for him to want to support those that help pay the bills as well as be knowledgeable about their products.

My perfect 3 bag system would be an Antelope MF (5 degree), Megalite (30), and my custom nunatak apex synthetic (roomy 20 degree, 35 ounces) for extended wet climates. That said, Ive looked at the chilkoots and they are very nice! They have a better neck baffle closure system than WM IMO and are made of premium materials. The chilkoot 0 degree has more weight in 850+ down than a long sized antelope. I would wager that there is less than 10 degrees of actual warmth difference. The chilkoot is a roomier fit which would allow for more room to layer inside without compromising loft.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Let me say it different, I’m going to support companies that support Rokslide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always buy a WM bag from Seek Outside a rockslide sponsor :)

That being said , I am sure the other bags are great but WM bags are fantastic as well . We can get any WM bag and have it drop shipped to you

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Maybe you're aware and it's obvious but Ryan is an Owner of this site. Seems pretty reasonable for him to want to support those that help pay the bills as well as be knowledgeable about their products.

My perfect 3 bag system would be an Antelope MF (5 degree), Megalite (30), and my custom nunatak apex synthetic (roomy 20 degree, 35 ounces) for extended wet climates. That said, Ive looked at the chilkoots and they are very nice! They have a better neck baffle closure system than WM IMO and are made of premium materials. The chilkoot 0 degree has more weight in 850+ down than a long sized antelope. I would wager that there is less than 10 degrees of actual warmth difference. The chilkoot is a roomier fit which would allow for more room to layer inside without compromising loft.
It should have more down in it considering you compared a 5 deg WM Antelope to a 0 deg Chilkoot. Apples to Apples is a WM Kodiak to a Chilkoot 0. WM has more down than the SG when going to comparably rated bags, and you can have them overstuff as well. For that matter, the roomier Sequoia 5deg bag has 4oz more down than the Chilkoot 0. That roominess comes at a weight penalty, the Kodiak is still probably the direct comparison.

It should have more down in it considering you compared a 5 deg WM Antelope to a 0 deg Chilkoot. Apples to Apples is a WM Kodiak to a Chilkoot 0. WM has more down than the SG when going to comparably rated bags, and you can have them overstuff as well. For that matter, the roomier Sequoia 5deg bag has 4oz more down than the Chilkoot 0. That roominess comes at a weight penalty, the Kodiak is still probably the direct comparison.

Looks like WM now posts tested EN comfort and lower limit ratings. I would have figured a kodiak MF would be notably warmer than the Chilkoot 0, but they list it as a 13 degree comfort rating. Compared to chilkoot comfort rating of 14 degrees. Antelope is 13 degrees as well, so it shouldn't be a lot warmer as another poster mentioned.

Getting into the weeds here, the chilkoot would fit between Antelope and kodiak fit wise but with a shell closer to the WM extremelite series.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looks like WM now posts tested EN comfort and lower limit ratings. I would have figured a kodiak MF would be notably warmer than the Chilkoot 0, but they list it as a 13 degree comfort rating. Compared to chilkoot comfort rating of 14 degrees. Antelope is 13 degrees as well, so it shouldn't be a lot warmer as another poster mentioned.

Getting into the weeds here, the chilkoot would fit between Antelope and kodiak fit wise but with a shell closer to the WM extremelite series.
Where are they posting EN ratings on the WM bags? It isn't in their spec sheet in their site, or under the individual bags pages.
370b20ae6201d5b0ff1bd87709bb446a.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
NM found it, but according to their table under FAQs the ones they've had tested they are listing with different specs than the product pages. They list in that table the Kodiak as a 5deg bag, the Kodiak page lists it as zero. Their lower limit they had tested on that bag is -43 though, not bad. Seems like their ratings fall right in between the EN limits which we all pretty much knew by this point just from field use.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Just outta curiosity, what was the sleep system that you were using that wasn't cutting it?

It's the MH Ghost whisper 20 degrees. It's nice and light and fits my needs fine to about 20 degrees.