Stone Glacier Chilkoot Vs Kuiu Super Down Sleeping Bag Vs Western Mountaineering Badger??

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I saw a goat life sticker on a truck the other day and wondered what the hell you were doing in Boise

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dude! Been looking for that sticker to buy!

Picked up this one for the goat shack today
00c9e5ad1dc8c169ee8a5455650cf38e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following. Excited to see some more comparisons. I'm considering the SG 0 degree. Seems like the shell is fairly wind resistant and it comes in a little lighter than the Kodiak 0 GWS but seems just as roomy. Am I off on this?

Steven C

FNG
I just got back from my first trip out with a WM Badger GWS that I purchased off of the classifieds on here. It got down to the low 20’s. Extremely pleased with it. I think I could go down to 15 no problem. I couldn’t believe when I saw it for sale for $450 within 5 min of the guy posting it. Snagged it and had 3 people offer to buy it if I didn’t like it. Thank you Ryan Avery for your recommendation on the bag and for what you guys do for us with this site. Most of all thank you and your family for your service for this country.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Robby should have all the bags this week. I do find it interesting WM doesn't use treated down. It makes you wonder who is right. I will say Tanya and I have used the WM Badger GWS in some very bad situation and it never lost any noticeable loft. Here is WM statement about treated down.

"Why isn’t Western Mountaineering using hydrophobic down in any products?
We have found in our own testing that the performance enhancements of hydrophobic treatments on high quality down are widely overstated. High-quality untreated down already has naturally water repellant oils on it left by the geese (makes sense since geese spend a lot of time in water). These oils help repel water and keep down lofted. More importantly is that these oils last indefinitely. Hydrophobic treatments wash out like a DWR and remove the natural oils during the application process. Because of this, and the water resistant capability of our shell fabrics, we feel that hydrophobic down does not provide a considerable impact on performance and could actually inhibit performance over the lifetime of our products"

9431462092b3b4f64904f6768b9db758.jpg

I always try to let the bag dry in the sun if I can.

Last edited:
Ryan, does that WM Badger GWS get clammy feeling ? I have one with the micro fiber I really like it but always wondered if I should have gone with GWS

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, does that WM Badger GWS get clammy feeling ? I have one with the micro fiber I really like it but always wondered if I should have gone with GWS

I have never felt that it was clammy.

Looking for a follow up on this.... 3rd Season in Colorado 2019 was cold. Consistently saw temps around 7-9 degrees at night. Ran 2 pads ( z rest and neo xtherm) with a 15 degree bag (Sierra Designs Down) with a merino base layer (including socks hat). By 1am I was shivering and added my down pants and jacket. I almost never sleep full mummy, however that changed quickly on the following nights and in the mornings woke up with a frozen bag every morning where my breath was coming up through and still was cold. I would sleep about an hour at a time before getting cold spots. I fully recognize that was in temps that exceeded what my bag was rated for....

My thoughts to change this are : 1) spend $$$$$ on a hot tent combo or 2) upgrade the sleeping bag $$$. Pack is already heavy enough that adding 4lbs for the tent and stove that doesnt stay lit all night seems like the less reasonable choice.

Looking for a follow up on this.... 3rd Season in Colorado 2019 was cold. Consistently saw temps around 7-9 degrees at night. Ran 2 pads ( z rest and neo xtherm) with a 15 degree bag (Sierra Designs Down) with a merino base layer (including socks hat). By 1am I was shivering and added my down pants and jacket. I almost never sleep full mummy, however that changed quickly on the following nights and in the mornings woke up with a frozen bag every morning where my breath was coming up through and still was cold. I would sleep about an hour at a time before getting cold spots. I fully recognize that was in temps that exceeded what my bag was rated for....

My thoughts to change this are : 1) spend $$$$$ on a hot tent combo or 2) upgrade the sleeping bag $$$. Pack is already heavy enough that adding 4lbs for the tent and stove that doesnt stay lit all night seems like the less reasonable choice.
Looks like Sierra Designs rates their bags close to its limit rating and not the comfort rating. The comfort rating for your bag would be the high 20s to about 30*.

I'd recommend upgrading your bag. It is money well spent if you will continue to hunt/camp in those types of conditions.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I’d upgrade the bag. Even with hot tent, you either need a heavy stove or to keep waking up to stoke a small stove. Maybe add a liner if you’re a very cold sleeper.

think I saw a sale on Nemo sonic 0s for like $300. I’ll try to go find where.

My buddy has one that he ran into some low temps and said he loved.

Thanks for the replies. I read the article posted last month by Robby and it seemed like a tie on the WM vs KUIU depending on what was more important to the individual making the purchase. I know there are cheaper 0 degree bags but the priority for me is having either hydrophobic down or a quality shell to keep dry. I am going to do some research but probably head the SG route....

While the hot tent is nice when the fire is going, at 2am you are still going to be cold after the fire goes out.

Up grade bag

Last edited:

Mtman245

FNG
Is the material on the SG bag wind resistant or wind proof??
Following. Excited to see some more comparisons. I'm considering the SG 0 degree. Seems like the shell is fairly wind resistant and it comes in a little lighter than the Kodiak 0 GWS but seems just as roomy. Am I off on this?
I

I got the sg 0 last year on my hunt it was 7 degrees to-16 below the night it was 16- I just put a sweater on and a beanie and was comfortable. The other nights I was just in my base ware and comfortable. I usually get cold so was pleased with it.

Unoboats

WKR
I just got back from elk hunting. The first night was around 10 degrees. Since Tanya didn't go I got to use the WM Badger GWS. It was nice and warm in just my baselayers. I won't disagree WM makes a great bag. It's crazy at 10 degrees I had zero issues in that 15-degree bag. It makes me wonder if the Badger MF would be as warm as the Badger GWS but a little lighter.

I am not a fan of wearing my puffy in my sleeping bag.

Now that Kevin pointed out they sell them. They're back on the table.:)
Ryan you talked me into the WMBadger mf and i did not buy the gws version, have slept in5-10 degrees comfortably.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up th SG bag and really like it. I don't have any experience with the Kuiu but I'm sure its a quality bag as well. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just got my Badger MF in last night and damn that thing is so quality and so nice. I ran the Chilkoot 15 on my first couple hunts and here are couple takeaways:
Chilkoot has better hand feel and is softer. It also feel like the baffles are not as full.

the Badger has a stiffer fabric feel but the baffles feel like they are stuffed full. Laying side by side just in my living room I got noticeably hotter quicker with the Badger. Again, have not used Badger in field yet. I love the full length zipper on the Badger. That 2/3 zipper on Chilkoot is not ideal.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I can’t say enough good things about my badger, I just wrapped up my 2nd season in mine and it’s still one of my favorite pieces of gear, I’ve got close to 40 nights in it so far, gotten it wet, and been in and out of it lots of times in a given night and it’s been excellent. At some point I’ll get a sequoia.