Stone Glacier Chilkoot Vs Kuiu Super Down Sleeping Bag Vs Western Mountaineering Badger??

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I just got back from elk hunting. The first night was around 10 degrees. Since Tanya didn't go I got to use the WM Badger GWS. It was nice and warm in just my baselayers. I won't disagree WM makes a great bag. It's crazy at 10 degrees I had zero issues in that 15-degree bag. It makes me wonder if the Badger MF would be as warm as the Badger GWS but a little lighter.

I am not a fan of wearing my puffy in my sleeping bag.

Now that Kevin pointed out they sell them. They're back on the table.:)

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Sounds like it's time for a 3 way test!

I love my WM, but its heavy as it has the Gore Windstopper fabric. But been looking at the SG as a lighter option, comparing it to the lighter WM options.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just got back from elk hunting. The first night was around 10 degrees. Since Tanya didn't go I got to use the WM Badger GWS. It was nice and warm in just my baselayers. I won't disagree WM makes a great bag. It's crazy at 10 degrees I had zero issues in that 15-degree bag. It makes me wonder if the Badger MF would be as warm as the Badger GWS but a little lighter.

I've got a Kodiak MF if you wanna try one out. Went back and forth on MF vs GWS and decided the MF suited my needs just fine. It is actually a little roomier than the Badger but not by a lot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I get restless legs really bad sleeping in a bag for several nights in a row. Doesn’t matter how many grueling miles I walk daily either. Any bag with a large foot box is a huge plus for me.

Question: Does the SG bag have the most foot room? Or any other bag I need to be looking at? I’ve also tried a quilt, and while it was better for not feeling constricted - I’m looking for a real bag with room to move around without getting the bag twisted around me when I roll over. Thanks!

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I get restless legs really bad sleeping in a bag for several nights in a row. Doesn’t matter how many grueling miles I walk daily either. Any bag with a large foot box is a huge plus for me.

Question: Does the SG bag have the most foot room? Or any other bag I need to be looking at? I’ve also tried a quilt, and while it was better for not feeling constricted - I’m looking for a real bag with room to move around without getting the bag twisted around me when I roll over. Thanks!

I use to get restless leg bad while backpacking hunting or anytime I put out a hard effort in the mountains. I guy told me to try Endurox. Have no Idea how it works but it definitely works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Oh, I talked to Robo. We are going to get the other two bags and he will test them and pick his bag of choice.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

ive used the badger MF in 18 degree weather wearing just basic lightweight marmot tips and bottom and was comfortable.

chops24

WKR
Looking for a 0 degree bag for upcoming hunts. Did these side by side tests ever get done??

Rizzy

WKR
It's been a cold rifle season this year at times. I used my 20 slick bag with an Xtherm pad and a bowfin tent below 20 and was good. I will be taking the same setup below 20 again this weekend and early next week.
I know it's heavier, but how would the 0 slick perform at around zero?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looking for a 0 degree bag for upcoming hunts. Did these side by side tests ever get done??
I doubt it. It really is just now getting cold enough to matter, and to get a side by side test that's worth anything you have to use each one for about a week to make a good comparison. You can't do that in a couple of days. Needs to be the same person using each bag, not three different testers who may all sleep differently.

chops24

WKR
Just ordered a NEMO Stalker 0 degree on GovX. I went with it because I like a lot of room and it was 389 in Cipher. I’ll report back how it is.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I see almost no need for a 0 degree bag. Unless I was hunting in the dead of winter a lot.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Understood on wanting to support a hunting company, but I know the WM bags are good ol made in the US of A. I'm not even sure who sews the SG bags. Anyone know? Just curious more than anything.

I’d like to know as well 👍

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Let me say it different, I’m going to support companies that support Rokslide.

I do like also supporting companies that make this site possible, but head to head, I’ll never put the Flag second. USA made wins every time for me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah... I fought for this country too and I am still going to support myself first:)

I saw a goat life sticker on a truck the other day and wondered what the hell you were doing in Boise