Stone Glacier Chilkoot Vs Kuiu Super Down Sleeping Bag Vs Western Mountaineering Badger??

I currently have a SG 15. Have been really happy with the warmth and quality of the bag. But I’m looking for something with more room inside. I have some hip issues and need to bend my knees up individually. Any recommendation other than a quilt?

Jbehredt

WKR
I currently have a SG 15. Have been really happy with the warmth and quality of the bag. But I’m looking for something with more room inside. I have some hip issues and need to bend my knees up individually. Any recommendation other than a quilt?

I can lay like that in my 6’6” WM badger. I’m 6’2” and 190 ish.

Whats the difference between the Badger and the Antelope? The Antelope is only 1 ounce heavier but has a 10 degree colder rating..

Also curious what you ended up with @Ryan Avery

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
Badger is the better bag, I have been in mine in below 10 degrees in a tent and warm as a bug in a rug

Vandy321

WKR
Badger is the better bag, I have been in mine in below 10 degrees in a tent and warm as a bug in a rug
I'll 2nd that, 3 def F in my badger and soulo...with base layer on, sweating. The badger is the real deal, that's well below its temp rating

Weber

FNG
I'm looking at SG 0, WM Kodiak (debating if the GWS is worth the money), and KUIU 0. I know everyone swears by WM but treated down does sound nice in principle and the SG/KUIU bags are much cheaper. As previously stated, being made in the USA is great, but I take care of myself first.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Still wondering how geese have survived all these millennia without having treated down

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Weber

FNG
@HuntInWild88 Thanks for the ping.

My old man got the Stone Glacier Bag. We're both built the same, 6 foot, 160-190 lbs

Most my trips the last 2 years were boat based (aluminum so moisture was a thing but never a problem) or a cabin. That being said I've spent about 60 days in it with no concerns on quality, durability, etc. I'm not nice to m gear by any means.

I took it to the Kenai Mountains where we had some pretty gnarly wind and rain for 7 days. My storm star held up amazing but it did get quite a bit of condensation even with the vents open. To be expected given the conditions and 2 grown men sleeping in it. Any water dripping onto it for the most part was repelled. Did great.

All in all compared to the SG bag I'd be happy with either. I own the KUIU 0 and 30 degree and have had no complaints. They are both very warm and I've never woke up cold.

The big difference in the SG bag was its a much wider, taller bag. I believe it only comes in one size. My dad likes more room even though were the same size. I like a more compact bag. It being tighter, if you roll in your sleep as I do, it rolls with you, which I like and dont mind at all, but it's certainly a preference thing. I do also like the smaller bag footprint for those nights when condensation is an issue and you don't necessarily want you bag spilling off the pad onto the ground and onto the walls but honestly, both bags aren't hurt by the condensation.

They both pack well and fluff up nice when unpacked. My preference is still the kuiu for its size/shape. The glow-in-the-dark zipper is a nice touch.

Construction wise both bags felt quality and have held up.

In both bags multiple nights we got into them damp or a little wet with our wet socks, gloves, etc stuffed into the bottom, all was dry by morning. Footbox got very mildly damp by end of trip but I stuffed a lotta water down there so understandable.

Looking back, I'd not hesitate to get either bag and I don't see any reason to spend the extra money on the WM. This is coming from someone who spares no expense on anything. The treated down is also nice additional security/peace of mind in case something happened.

IMO, ignore the price. If you want treated down SG or KUIU, if not buy the WM. Next its just deciding which shape you want. Tighter or Roomy depending on your preference/size. KUIU does make a Large version FWIW.