Stone Glacier Chinook Base Layer Review, By Jake Potter

Sadler

WKR
I have both the Chinook and some aerowool pieces. What are you looking for specifically comparison wise?
Does the chinook dry faster than the lightweight aerowool and how would you compare the fit and feel of the two?

Vandy321

WKR
Love the Chinook top/bottom. more comfortable next to skin than smartwool. Softer and with a bit more stretch than the kuiu merino, and far warmer when wet than the sitka core lightweight.

They feel like about a 150 or so...I had the kuiu 97 and have the smartwool 250, these are solidly in between those two for weight.

5'10" 175 and a medium is perfect.

Chad E

WKR
I haven't went head to head on drying time with them they both seem to dry fast. I'd give the feel edge to the Chinook as they feel softer to me than the aerowool and I wore the bottoms several days in a row without a change in the comfort level. The fit is good for me but I also have no issues with fit on any of the aerowool pieces I have.
I'm a huge fan of merino baselayers and have been happy with firstlite for a long time but I think from here on out till something better comes along I'll be going with the Chinook stuff.

Sadler

WKR
I haven't went head to head on drying time with them they both seem to dry fast. I'd give the feel edge to the Chinook as they feel softer to me than the aerowool and I wore the bottoms several days in a row without a change in the comfort level. The fit is good for me but I also have no issues with fit on any of the aerowool pieces I have.
I'm a huge fan of merino baselayers and have been happy with firstlite for a long time but I think from here on out till something better comes along I'll be going with the Chinook stuff.
Just seeing this. I went ahead and ordered one and I agree, it’s softer and fits great. I picked up their lite pants too and I got to say, those feel really comfortable as well.

Vernon

FNG
great info. I am currently shopping both FL long johns and SG and am really stressed out about this decision:) I think from what I've read here I'm leaning towards the SG Chinook.

ReefJones

Lil-Rokslider
Was there anything you didn't like or that they could improve on?

Also, you mentioned wearing year round. In your opinion, is the top an appropriate piece for an early season elk archery hunt in Arizona (80's/40's H/L)?

Thanks in advance,
Reef

Vandy321

WKR

Also, you mentioned wearing year round. In your opinion, is the top an appropriate piece for an early season elk archery hunt in Arizona (80's/40's H/L)?

Thanks in advance,
Reef

Not an expert, but IMHO 80 deg is far too warm for a 150g merino.

Vandy321

WKR
You could make due with it if you only wanted 1 baselayer for multiple seasons. But for 80 degrees I'd be looking more into something a bit lighter.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks in advance,
Reef

Might be a little warm but I plan on wearing it in September during our archery season and temps can get that high. Unfortunately I’ve only had it during the winter months so can’t give you a report on how it will fare. I do wish they would have included the little thumb loops for putting layers on over it but other than that it’s perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk