Stone Glacier De Havilland Jacket and Pant Review, by Jared Radosevich

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Cover.jpg

Please welcome Jared Rodosevich (WyoBowhunter21) and give his first Rokslide article a read.

Jared is an active hunter and outdoorsman who is always looking for the strongest products available. He grew up in a family of hunters and has been actively participating in some form since he was a few months old. Today, 29 years later, he is more involved than ever. Jared is active in the conservation community, as well as hunting multiple species every year. His friends and family say that he could probably talk hunting and fishing for days if he was allowed to. With the fad development of lightweight hunting, he has now made it a goal to be as light as possible with the best gear he can afford. This brings us to where he tries to help as many hunters as he can with lessons he's learned. When Jared's not trying to find the lightest hunting gear, you can find him on the water fly fishing, hiking, hunting, and spending time with his wife and dog. Hunting has always been an important part of his life and lifestyle. As an active member of the Rokslide forum, he tries to share his experiences and knowledge as much as possible.

Stone Glacier De Havilland Jacket and Pant Review

Visit the Stone Glacier website to learn more and order yours.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. I am very interested in these as well. What do you think the high temp breathability limits would be? I'd like a 3-4 season pant at that pricing structure.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you try them with Knee Pads at all? If so, did your Mt Pant knee pads fit? Curious how they fit with the knee pads inserted. ?? Great pics for your review!!

Thanks for the review. I am very interested in these as well. What do you think the high temp breathability limits would be? I'd like a 3-4 season pant at that pricing structure.
Your welcome. It is always fun to review a product and help fellow hunters out. So I would say this regarding temperature, the pants would be great in early season when temps are changing drastically. With the side zips on the pants you can easily regulate temps. I plan to wear them this fall for my early seasons where it’s averaging 70. I would have no problem wearing a base layer (as mentioned in my review) down in the teens while hunting. Still hunting would be a different story.

Did you try them with Knee Pads at all? If so, did your Mt Pant knee pads fit? Curious how they fit with the knee pads inserted. ?? Great pics for your review!!
That’s a great question. I really forgot to include that in the initial review. I put my mountain pants knee pads in and they fit awesome. To be honest I love the side zip for this. Unlike the Sitka Mountain Pants where you have to drop your drawers to put the knee pads In or take them out, the side zips give you access to do this and make it a little easier. Great Feature! All knee pads are a pain to put in and pull out but once they are in they don’t feel awkward. I like the Sitka gaiters in the Stone Glacier De Havilland pants better than my Sitka Mountain pants.
Here are some pics of that.

Attachments

• 1DE2046A-60B8-4F63-9086-4DE6F61603C4.jpeg
    1DE2046A-60B8-4F63-9086-4DE6F61603C4.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 130

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. They really do look like legitimately great pair of pants. Might be making that order soon.

slowelk

WKR
Depending on your body type I do not think the contour waist closure system replaces a belt. I have a narrow waist and a butt, and without a belt the pants would not stay like I like them to. Kurt Racicot agreed with me in another thread that it wasn't the intention to replace a belt with the closure system, but based on feedback, it does for some people.

I agree with your overall assessment - the pants are great. The strong points are their durability, fit, stretch, and hip vents. The weak point for me is that if you have thighs, the front pocket volume is limited. I also wish the standard "jean-style" front pockets zipped closed. They are plenty deep, but I like a little extra security.

For sizing reference, I am 6' 195#, wear a 32x34 jean and the medium tall fit me as well.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s a great question. I really forgot to include that in the initial review. I put my mountain pants knee pads in and they fit awesome. To be honest I love the side zip for this. Unlike the Sitka Mountain Pants where you have to drop your drawers to put the knee pads In or take them out, the side zips give you access to do this and make it a little easier. Great Feature! All knee pads are a pain to put in and pull out but once they are in they don’t feel awkward. I like the Sitka gaiters in the Stone Glacier De Havilland pants better than my Sitka Mountain pants.
Here are some pics of that.
Thanks for the info. Those pads look like they fit well. Love seeing new stuff and new concepts.

sr80

WKR
Did you find that the material quietened down at all after more use and washings? Im really surprised nobody has mentioned the "swooshiness" of this material they decided to use. I ordered a jacket, but wasnt a fan of the fit. So i exchanged and then ended up returning it.

Did you find that the material quietened down at all after more use and washings? Im really surprised nobody has mentioned the "swooshiness" of this material they decided to use. I ordered a jacket, but wasnt a fan of the fit. So i exchanged and then ended up returning it.

You know I will have to pay attention next time I am out. It definitely isn’t as quite as some but I don’t think it’s terrible. I am putting my coat in the wash for the first time tonight so i will see how that turns out. I notice the “swooshiness” in the jacket more than the pants. My OR Gaiters create more noise in my mind. I will let you know.

spider

FNG
Wondering how these compare to the new FL Brushbuck pants. Doing a lot of desert hunting here in AZ and figured the Brushbuck would be the way to go for durability against all the rough crap but the side zips on these are really intriguing as the ability to open those up to cool off in the desert would be awesome. Not going to lie theres been occasions where I've had to drop my pants to cool off after a hike in and would prefer not to do so anymore

After having the pants and jacket now through hunting season I have beat the snot out of them. I put them through a moose hunt going through willows and brush, 21 days of elk hunting through buck brush and downed timber. I can say this pair of clothing is my new favorite hunting necessity. They both have held up to my abuse. I really have tried to test the boundaries and do things that I typically wouldn’t do so that I could get an accurate test. Here are a few pictures.
6ee06e9f3af90a134e05b9da18ea6d28.jpg

9acb4a38e340cd1b9619e6f72de7822b.jpg
dd80af0389a6707f13061d5c4b4437bc.jpg
a1a74ff7c42848e349c54ae5068e9bca.jpg

slowelk

WKR
I spent the first part of archery season in these pants because of the hip vents, but abandoned them as the temperature started to change not because they aren't warm enough, but because the pockets are unusable. With colder weather, your pockets fill up with gloves, neck gaiter, ammo wallet, etc. I wear 32x34 pants in Levi's, Carhartt's, Kuhl's, so I ordered a medium-tall. The waist and length were great, but the thighs were a little snug in even without anything in them. Hip vents are great, but not at the expense of functional cargo pockets.

I spent the first part of archery season in these pants because of the hip vents, but abandoned them as the temperature started to change not because they aren't warm enough, but because the pockets are unusable. With colder weather, your pockets fill up with gloves, neck gaiter, ammo wallet, etc. I wear 32x34 pants in Levi's, Carhartt's, Kuhl's, so I ordered a medium-tall. The waist and length were great, but the thighs were a little snug in even without anything in them. Hip vents are great, but not at the expense of functional cargo pockets.

Slowelk thanks for giving your feedback. I can see where the pants may not work for you. Not all pants work for everyone. I don’t typically put a lot in my pants so for me, they work great. I love the leg vents. They are sweet. This October it got way cold below zero and I was happy with the warmth.

Mt Al

WKR

This is pretty common in our world! The fit models and grading rules are often for skinnier guys/thin legs, etc. - of which I am not, sadly. However, can't wait to head to the SG shop and see what fits. Sounds like they're off to a good start.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda bringing this one back from the past, but do you have an update for the pants? They were recommended to me recently and seem like they may work well. I am curious, how wind resistant are the pants? What is the lowest temp you would be comfortable using them (with proper layer underneath, activity being hiking for a few miles then glass for a few hours)?